Marcelo Brigadeiro - Luta Livre BB Rolling

TalkShowOnMute

dancingonthecorpsesashes
@Black
Reaction score
Amazing. "TheThrill" posted this on the UG, and I posted it over here because his rolling is really fluid and technical. Anyone know how big Marcelo is? He moves like a lightweight.

"Marcelo Brigadeiro is a Luta Livre Black Belt under Marcio Cromado from RFT Team in Brazil. Many times champion of the best submission-wrestling tournaments, he is the only three times winner of the Brazilian National Championship of Submission and is a seven times winner of the Rio de Janeiro State Championship of Submission (the hardest submission tournament in Brazil). Brigadeiro also holds the title of International Submission Wrestling Champion among many other titles. Known by his amazing techniques on the ground, Brigadeiro began training Luta Livre in 1995, and teaches since 2000. He has been teaching and fighting in countries such as Brazil, England, Germany, France, Switzerland, Luxemburg and Austria for the last 9 years. Nowadays he is the Luta Livre Coach of Team Kaobon (UK) and RFT (Brazil). He has a record of 237 grappling fights, scoring: 221 wins - 14 losses - 2 draws."

Part One

Part Two

Good find!

Thanks goes to TheThrill. Good stuff. I'm really liking the catch style brazilian. Luta Livre guys almost always have this insane fluidity mixed with unorthodox submissions. Great stuff!

"If they're rolling for more than a minute and no one taps, I start to yell. They're doing it wrong."

Gotta love it.

He's about 5'9 or 5'10 and maybe 190-200lbs. I dunno, I'm shit at judging size and height :icon_chee

Thanks goes to TheThrill. Good stuff. I'm really liking the catch style brazilian. Luta Livre guys almost always have this insane fluidity mixed with unorthodox submissions. Great stuff!

He says some VERY interesting stuff in this clip, thanks for sharing!

He says some VERY interesting stuff in this clip, thanks for sharing!

Not really impressed by him or his fluidity........after watching Marcelo Garcia training videos you gain a whole different prespective on fluidity and technical skill. This guy is ok but I have seen better guys at grapplers quests.

Judo is freaking Judo, 2 guys fighting for grip and attempting throw each others.

GI BJJ does NOT look like Judo. GI BJJ is all about the guard and passing the guard..dominant position etc...bla..bla..

I expected Luta Livre to be an art of its own...they believe in submission etc...more aggressive rolling and crazy leg locks...

But it was just looked NO GI BJJ with no guard. It is bit hard to judge the guard skills because the BB was letting the guys pass to side control to make himself wordk.

...the guy is doing x-guard

And? Simply because you use something from another style, doesn't mean that you do that style. BJJ has taken plenty of moves from other styles, and takes credit for them. Nothing is new.

Judo is freaking Judo, 2 guys fighting for grip and attempting throw each others.

GI BJJ does NOT look like Judo. GI BJJ is all about the guard and passing the guard..dominant position etc...bla..bla..

I expected Luta Livre to be an art of its own...they believe in submission etc...more aggressive rolling and crazy leg locks...

But it was just looked NO GI BJJ with no guard. It is bit hard to judge the guard skills because the BB was letting the guys pass to side control to make himself wordk.

So, two things can't be similar without the other having copied? Pretty ridiculous reasoning.

People on here, and the internet grappling community in general, are very quick to try to call something BJJ or say that it looks like/copied from BJJ. The amount of arrogance from BJJ practitioners in regard to other styles is absolutely mind boggling.

Is it just me or it just looks like NOGI BJJ?

I agree just looked like sloppy bjj and besides I thought that those guys were suppost to wear mask and do flying head scissors and shit.

Luta Livre is a legit style. Some of his "claims" i have a problem with such as the gi has to be on things. We have pictures of various gracies fighting and training without the gi.

Marcelo is supposed to be a pretty nice guy by all accounts and i have seen rave reviews of his seminars.

Briga is my coach and he is amazing. To the guy that said he has seen better grapplers at Grapplers quest, lol you are so wrong. Briga is at a VERY high level of grappling, he was scheduled to fight Marcello Garcia at one point but it never came about. He has beaten some very big names, ask around and get some knowledge.
The videos you see him rolling, he is just toying with people, putting himself in bad positions etc. I've seen him with my own eyes roll over 60 minutes of 'winner stays on' and he was still going after I left ...

Luta Livre is pretty much BJJ without the gi (there is no such thing as 'No Gi BJJ' it's a misnomer). Similar styles are catch wrestling, submission wrestling, or whatever you want to call it. With Luta Livre though it is very aggressive and all about the submission. Also EVERY submission is allowed and is taught from the beginning as well as the defence. Heel hooks, neck cranks EVERYTHING. Some styles ban certain submissions, or you can only do them at a certain age/level.

As for the history of 'grappling' no-one can be sure of the exact details, but go back to Pankration etc. there are no Gi's there. You are born naked, not with a Gi, so it only stands to reason that the first forms of grappling came from 'No Gi' lol.

Brig is a very nice guy and would welcome anyone who wanted to come and train with open arms. He is currently organising a tour of Europe to spread the Luta Livre virus. If you can, get on it.

Last edited:
You can see what a good teacher he is by looking at those kids in the Luta Livre competition last week. they've got big things ahead of them.

Back