Marcello Monteiro vs IBJJA?

cgbills

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok I live in Greenwood Indiana and have been looking at these two schools for BJJ

Marcello Monteiro Academy
Online Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Training - BJJ Coach Marcello Monteiro - Marcello C. Monteiro's - BJJ Coach

and

Indiana Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy
Indiana Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy - Martial Arts Instruction - Flashsite (James Clingerman head instructor)

I like IBJJA because it is only about 10min away and the one in Franklin is on my way home from work at Camp Atterbury. Hear good things about the school

Marcello Monteiro Academy is about 20 min away. It seems like the linage of the instructors might be a little better.

If you had to vote which would you pick considering my location and circumstance? Both seem like great schools and right now it is a toss up for me.

I would chose the closest location just because it is close.

I have to plug Marcello because I am under his system (argh, that sounded vaguely wrong). In any event, Marcello is a good guy, and I think his curriculum is well-organized. You can learn a lot from him.

In fairness, I do not know anything about IBJJA or Clingerman.

But, after saying all of the above, if it were me, I would visit both schools and try them both out for a lesson or two. Get a feel for the gym and the people there. Try to figure out where you would be most happy and what might be the best "fit" for you. In the end, that may be more important than driving an extra ten minutes. If you take the time to visit both, you will have more information to compare and contrast, so you can make a more well-rounded cost-benefit analysis for your situation.

Good luck!!!

Toss up. Check 'em both out. Marcello has a very talented BB in his school, "Pitbull" Herdy. Great guy, you'd learn a lot. James Clingerman is very talented as well.

You really couldn't go wrong at either place.

Master Carlson> De La Riva>Marcello is a cool lineage, although I heard him and DeLa Riva had a falling out. Maybe someone else can elaborate on that.

I'll be attending a monteiro seminar in November at gamebred Bjj in fife, wa. I have heard nothing but good things about Marcelo and his system

Back