Marc Laimon on the Gracies

i dont understand all the hate for the gracies. Apparently xande and saulo think its sufficient so........

i dont understand all the hate for the gracies. Apparently xande and saulo think its sufficient so........
xande and saulo don't really train with rorion or royce.. they trained under royler in gracie humaita (brazil) which was probably the most gifted sports bjj guys to come out of the gracie family (just after roger).

I dislike Laimon as well for that.. Plus he really didn't want any part of Serra when Hughes was eggin them on..

I dislike Laimon as well for that.. Plus he really didn't want any part of Serra when Hughes was eggin them on..

bingo....respect OUT the door when Serra challenged him (sort of) and he bitched OUT...RIGHT after HE was talking S***.,..
The guy's good, no doubt you can't really argue that....but F*** em.....he show'd no class. Not saying what he said about the Fracies isn't true or anything but just...show respect..simple..

What Marc is talkin about is 100% right on. Alot of guys that trained at the Gracie Academy in the mid to late 90s will tell you the exact same thing. The academy was not interested in teaching the best jiu jitsu to its loyal followers, instead they took advantage of them. And when they went to look for it themselves they were eeither chastised or asked to leave. There is a reason that Caique and the Machados left there.

I have heard story after story from guys in the instructor program that were told, take privates if you want to learn that, those techniques are too advanced, ect ect. I have no clue what it is like since the new black belts have taken over at the Academy but it is easy to see how Marc could have bad feelings training during that period.

I'm also not really a fan of how he thinks he's practically a fighter since he watches a lot of video, etc.

There's nothing bad with Eddie. I could careless about his marijuana situation. I just don't like his views towards the Gi to be honest. Laimon said guard players are inferior grapplers, which I completey disagree

Marc Laimon is a cool guy I think he was just bitter due to some of the politics in a Gracie gym. Eddie Bravo and the rubber guard is great I like to sweep so its fun to have so many options from the back. I love to roll no gi now.

What Marc is talkin about is 100% right on. Alot of guys that trained at the Gracie Academy in the mid to late 90s will tell you the exact same thing. The academy was not interested in teaching the best jiu jitsu to its loyal followers, instead they took advantage of them. And when they went to look for it themselves they were eeither chastised or asked to leave. There is a reason that Caique and the Machados left there.

I have heard story after story from guys in the instructor program that were told, take privates if you want to learn that, those techniques are too advanced, ect ect. I have no clue what it is like since the new black belts have taken over at the Academy but it is easy to see how Marc could have bad feelings training during that period.

Just leave like a man and find a new gym and dont talk behind their backs 10 years after it happened like some teenage girl.

I really hate those pure grappling guys who think they can teach grappling for mma without fighting mma. Bravo and Laimon are prime examples of that.

You can catch some of Marc's reasons on one of the older Grapplers Quest dvds . I forgot what one it is .

i dont really like laimon but I agree with him 100% about guard players being inferior

xande and saulo don't really train with rorion or royce.. they trained under royler in gracie humaita (brazil) which was probably the most gifted sports bjj guys to come out of the gracie family (just after roger).

True, but Gracie Jiu Jitsu in general. Last tuesday Xande did a seminar at our school (Great by the way) and he was talking about how the system that was originally created by Helio is still the system that works best.

Everybody has their own opinions. Laimon is a good teacher and grappler, he has the right to think what he wants.

A lot is said of how Bravo and Laimon are very full of themselves...but neither of them claim to be the best grapplers in the world...neither of them claim to be fighters (marc says it all the time), is it really out of this world for someone who doesn't fight to coach MMA? Is it out of this world to be opinionated on something that is a passion and a lifestyle of yours like BJJ?

I've met both of the guys and train under Laimon, great coaches and great guys in my opinion. Neither of them gave me a feeling that whatever they were teaching me was the gospel

i dont really like laimon but I agree with him 100% about guard players being inferior

I used to agree until someone I was previously even with at my school developed one of the most insane guards I've ever seen. If he pulled guard in a competition against me, I'd be fucked. You have to think about what the purpose of the guard is, is it for BJJ competition or MMA? Even if it is MMA, I think the Diaz bros. or Miguel Torres would have something to say about this.

I definitely believe the talk about holding back and believe Roy Harris' story 100%

I'm a guard player who thinks guard players are inferior. Weird, I know.

Back