Marc Goddard Reveals Why He Will Never Officiate a Leon Edwards Fight

I get the personal relationship with Leon Edwards...

But not reffing an Adesanya fight because Izzy was knocked out and you don't want to trigger him?

LOL wtf is this shit?

Goddard comes across as integrous and thoughtful.

I used to like Goddard, but he's come off as a pussy little cop too many times where he will be clearly wrong and when asked about it defend, defend, defend or deny deny deny. And these judges always argue from authority as if they better than everyone else. Fuck'em do a better job.

I get the personal relationship with Leon Edwards...

But not reffing an Adesanya fight because Izzy was knocked out and you don't want to trigger him?

LOL wtf is this shit?

I used to like Goddard, but he's come off as a pussy little cop too many times where he will be clearly wrong and when asked about it defend, defend, defend or deny deny deny. And these judges always argue from authority as if they better than everyone else. Fuck'em do a better job.
sport-preview-mcgregor-confrontation.jpg

BJM did this several times while still reffing in the UFC. I remember back then thinking how annoying it was.
I still remember Big John telling Edson to "get up, you're not hurt" after taking a full blast upkick from Tony while they were on the ground. You could literally see how rocked Barboza was too.

Of course you shouldn’t ref a fight of someone you coached or have a person relationship with , even if your the type of person who could put personal feelings aside and do the job properly it still looks bad .
And I can see why you wouldn’t want to ref a rematch too , it’s a bit overkill but there’s a lot of fights on the card so just let me have a fight I haven’t done before.
I also think that fighters should be allowed to ask for a different official if their not comfortable
Fighters can object to a referee overseeing a fight.

I respect it :)

This is my biggest pet peeve with refs.

Main character syndrome.

Goddard has it BAD. The ref should be invisible.
If they do their job right you shouldn't even remember who the ref was --> most of the time <--

This is why I appreciated Josh Rosenthal.
He was not perfect, no ref is without any mistakes, but he didn't go in there and make it about him, he wasn't focused on trying to be recognized for a corny hand signal or catchphrase (that I recall) he just observed and didn't get involved unless he had to protect a fighter or enforce the rules when fouls occurred.
Josh was solid for sure, Herzog, Beltran are good...like you said, not without mistakes but they don't try to do more than necessary.

Marc thinks he's still fighter (and not a good one at that.) Lol

BJM did this several times while still reffing in the UFC. I remember back then thinking how annoying it was.

He said Goddard interjects too much.
John was trying to figure the whole thing out when he started.

I know he's hated for some unknown reason, but the guy wrote the book on reffing.

Lol, it would bring in more PPVs than this Jones vs Stipe fight is gonna sir.

Haha, it would be epic, and wild. As ref, I would stave off any physical attacks until much heated discussion was had… then I’d toss the table aside and let you guys have at it.

Not sure if the world would be ready to see my beautiful face tho… but they’d just have to be I guess :)

I don't blame him for not reffing a guy who use to coach when he just started off. He could be bias and all that.

But not reffing Adesanya is a weird reason that's for sure.

Haha, it would be epic, and wild. As ref, I would stave off any physical attacks until much heated discussion was had… then I’d toss the table aside and let you guys have at it.

Not sure if the world would be ready to see my beautiful face tho… but they’d just have to be I guess :)

Best ref ever I'd say lol

Wish he would never officiate ANY UFC fight, this guy is an asshole who believes hes the star of the show not the fighters. Seriously hate him. They played an interview he gave to my countries local tv channel back in January and he comes off as SO self-important and arrogant. And I dont understand what the basis for that arrogance is. This guy has delusions of grandeur and unfortunately for us fans of the sport it translates him to ruining many fights.

He said Goddard interjects too much.
John was trying to figure the whole thing out when he started.

I know he's hated for some unknown reason, but the guy wrote the book on reffing.
Those weren't times when Jon was new. This was well into the Zuffa Era my guy. Not sure why you're defending him. I have to assume you weren't watching the UFC near the end of him reffing UFC fights. He was getting baaaaaad

Those weren't times when Jon was new. This was well into the Zuffa Era my guy. Not sure why you're defending him. I have to assume you weren't watching the UFC near the end of him reffing UFC fights. He was getting baaaaaad
He was but he had been doing it forever, and was probably getting sick if it.
I defend him because he was the best at it for a long time, and just like with fighters...or any job really...you have your prime.

In his prime he was awesome.
I just don't gloss over his good years is all sir.
I've been watchin since the beginning and im still watching.

Much love brother, hope everything is going awesome in your world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAu
Back