Manual

I prefer manuals because they are way more fun to drive than an auto. However, the negatives against manuals:

1. Difficulty reselling (unless a sports/performance car) because a lot of people do not know how to drive a stick, and manual transmission cars are not as high in demand. If you plan to keep the car until it falls apart, resell isn't really an issue.

2. Really minimal advantage regarding gas mileage. In fact, some autos are the same or better than the manual counterparts. I would have to look up the 2007 Civic.

3. More difficult to text, eat, shave, fap, etc. with a manual vs. auto.

Manuals seem to be less likely to be stolen, due to the simple fact that the common idiot street thug has no idea how to drive them.

when i first got my licence manuals were more of the norm than autos. actually autos were thought of as being a little gay, believe it or not!
i vowed never to own an auto and didn't for a long, long time. however i hired one on holiday and thought what the hell was i thinking!
since then i've only had autos!

i'd have a manual again but only if i had a second car that was an auto.
you can soon get sick of riding the clutch in heavy, stop start traffic jams.
my first cars were manuals that had the changer on the steering column, i'd like one like that again but i'm sure they're all on the floor nowadays.

over here in the UK pretty much every car is a manual, its fairly rare to have an automatic. obviously im used to them but driving them in heavy traffic, hills etc is a piece of cake, i wouldn't let that stop you buying one.

i find it a bit more boring driving an automatic, i much prefer driving a manual. it doesn't feel right having a spare hand and foot free. i also feel like im a bit more in control in a manual.

Small town, I'd go with a manual. A 2007 Civic stick shift is going to be easy as hell to drive.

Remember automatic transmissions are pretty stout. They don't break very often but when they do they are expensive as hell.

Manual transmissions are even more stout and cheaper to rebuild...BUT...it's going to be the clutch that goes out before the transmission itself does and that will run you some $$$. So make sure you're easy on that clutch unless you're trying to pick up some ladies down at the steak n shake. At that point drop that fucker, let her rip and show that town what some tail lights look like.

Driving a manual is what I'm used to. Have never drove an automatic. In the UK, driving manuals are the norm here though.

when i first got my licence manuals were more of the norm than autos. actually autos were thought of as being a little gay, believe it or not!
i vowed never to own an auto and didn't for a long, long time. however i hired one on holiday and thought what the hell was i thinking!
since then i've only had autos!

i'd have a manual again but only if i had a second car that was an auto.
you can soon get sick of riding the clutch in heavy, stop start traffic jams.
my first cars were manuals that had the changer on the steering column, i'd like one like that again but i'm sure they're all on the floor nowadays.

Driving stick is a sign of manliness, like Frye's 'stache. I knew some chick who wouldn't date a guy if he couldn't drive stick.

I don't understand why you would buy a civic when you could just as easily get an s2000. I mean I guess if you have kids.

Driving stick is a sign of manliness, like Frye's 'stache. I knew some chick who wouldn't date a guy if he couldn't drive stick.

She sounds like a catch....

In a new car driving manual doesn't even require talent because of how easy they've become to operate. The fuel efficiency is a bit better and IMO it keeps you occupied. My brother and father both did a lot of driving in their field of work and have basically sworn standards off from the repetitive task.

If you want to drive a standard then do it.

*EDIT* I guess it's not really a standard anymore, is it? lol

I don't understand why you would buy a civic when you could just as easily get an s2000. I mean I guess if you have kids.

She sounds like a catch....

We'll I need a back seat.

driving manual on a newer car is almost as easy as automatic. get the manual.

2007 civic coupe? lol you sound poor

When your cars parked on an incline it will require more revs than usual to get the car moving. Hill starts are basic skills did'nt they teach you how to do it on your tests?
When your driving and come to a hill it's best if you keep the engine down in the low gears, if you take one in 4th or 5th your car will slow considerably (depending on how steep) which can cause all kind of trouble for the cars behind you.
whenever you stop the car put it back into first gear. if you don't stop (sweeping corners and roundabouts) leave the car in second gear.
when you brake to a stop don't dip the clutch too early, if you do your normal braking distance can increase. Dip the clutch just before you stop, put the car into neutral and apply handbrake.

Good for you buying proper car you :icon_chee

Hand brake hill starts aren't something you should be doing for very long after you've learned to drive a manual.

You should learn to heel & toe all three pedals with both your left and right feet on two pedals each.

Start with your right foot heel and toe on the brake and gas pedals, then learn how to left foot brake (which is mostly unlearning right foot braking).

Heel & toe and left foot braking are smoother, quicker and safer than hand brake hill starts. Plus they are more universally applicable to learning advanced car control.

Different people have different answers. Until now, every car I've owned has been a manual. I prefer it, and I never find it annoying, even in bumper to bumper traffic. It becomes natural to the point that I don't really think about it.

As for starting on an incline, once you get used to your car, even the heel/toe method is tedious. Once you're in tune with the catch-point on the clutch pedal, you will be able to seamlessly take your food off the brake while releasing the clutch and giving the car gas. You won't roll back an inch.

For years, the cars I owned were manual. The vehicles I drove for work were automatic. The next car I drive will be an automatic. But it's just personal preference. I just don't care about shifting anymore.

Different people have different answers. Until now, every car I've owned has been a manual. I prefer it, and I never find it annoying, even in bumper to bumper traffic. It becomes natural to the point that I don't really think about it.

As for starting on an incline, once you get used to your car, even the heel/toe method is tedious. Once you're in tune with the catch-point on the clutch pedal, you will be able to seamlessly take your food off the brake while releasing the clutch and giving the car gas. You won't roll back an inch.

That's nice if it's your daily driver and it has a forgiving clutch. Try that in an unfamiliar sports car on a wet road or off-road in an 4x4. You're going to spin your wheels or stall the car.

Get the manual. It is more fun, cheaper maintenance, better mpg. Makes you a better driver that is in tune with the car and road.

It will become easy within a couple days or so and then become second nature by a couple months. Not sure how experienced you are at driving a manual but I would suggest learning like this:

So at stop in first gear, slowly start to let out the clutch. Do not give it any throttle. Just keep your right foot away from the pedals. The clutch will start to pull the car. Don't freak out and drop the clutch after it barley starts moving. Controlled slow steady release of the clutch till it is out without throttle and you should be going at a couple-few mph. Do that a bunch of times till you get comfortable with the release point and feel of the clutch. Then start adding some throttle into it, you shouldn't need any more than 1k rpm for starting out learning purposes. I taught someone to drive having them do that and they never once dumped the clutch and stalled the car while learning. It's easy.

Bump to bumper is easy. Just slowly let off the clutch and let it pull you. That's how I do slow bumper to bumper. My car pulls at 6 mph in first and 9-10 mph in second.

Hill starts are pretty easy, just nerve racking at first well because you roll backwards if you don't do it correctly. I don't have to do heel toe stuff (easy enough to do anyway). Just brake and very slowly let off the clutch. You should feel the car trying to move and then take your foot off the brake. I'm not sure if it is different in my car because I have a ton of HP though. I also haven't done it on an incredibly steep hill either.

Back