Rumored Manny Pacquiao vs Mikey García

I think Manny fucks Garcia up. He handled Thurman who is naturally bigger, he'll not have many issues with Garcia who is smaller (than Thurman) and slower (than Pac). And Garcia may well hit Manny more than Keith but he sure as shit doesn't hit as hard so it's going to do fuck all against him. Garcia needs to go face Loma after he gets beaten, at least he could be competitive there. Guaranteed Tidwell will shit a brick after this fight.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. I just don't like how slow Mikey looks at 147.

I think vs Manny, he will show up lighter. I think vs Spence, he was trying to put on some weight to help absorb damage and not be pushed around as easily. Just a shit match up overall because of how much bigger Spence was.

I think Manny fucks Garcia up. He handled Thurman who is naturally bigger, he'll not have many issues with Garcia who is smaller (than Thurman) and slower (than Pac). And Garcia may well hit Manny more than Keith but he sure as shit doesn't hit as hard so it's going to do fuck all against him. Garcia needs to go face Loma after he gets beaten, at least he could be competitive there. Guaranteed Tidwell will shit a brick after this fight.

I have always criticized Thurman for being both throwing too wide and being squared up too much, both play right into Manny's style. Also, Thurman tends to throw one big shot at a time, then gets too close and stifles himself before being able to follow up well and throw combos. Garcia keeps his distance and is able to throw straighter punches and better combos.

Manny winning also wouldn't surprise me, not like I think Garcia is going to school him or anything... and prime Pac would run over him. Just an issue of styles, career timing, etc.

Thurman is the kind of guy Manny excels at fighting. He does his best work, imo, against aggressive fighters; when I think back to the De La Hoya fight, Oscar was the one pushing towards Manny, but Pacquiao was countering the shit out of him. Bradley (in the second and third fight especially when Tim was going for broke), Rios, Margacheato. People always talk about his speed and his power, but his countering ability is great and doesn't get as much praise.

It's the guys who sit back, box and can time him that get Pac into trouble. Barrera, Marquez, Floyd, etc.

The smart money for me is on Manny but Garcia and Thurman are such different fighters with different skills that I don't really see what Manny did to Keith rolling over into a potential fight with Mikey.

edit: I must be racist, I can't keep Barrera or Morales' names straight in my head.

Last edited:
I think vs Manny, he will show up lighter. I think vs Spence, he was trying to put on some weight to help absorb damage and not be pushed around as easily. Just a shit match up overall because of how much bigger Spence was.

Garcia has a hard head too. Big head, but hard head.

It will either be a good competitive fight, or we're going to watch Garcia get patiently whooped again.

Thurman is the kind of guy Manny excels at fighting. He does his best work, imo, against aggressive fighters; when I think back to the De La Hoya fight, Oscar was the one pushing towards Manny, but Pacquiao was countering the shit out of him. Bradley (in the second and third fight especially when Tim was going for broke), Rios, Margacheato. People always talk about his speed and his power, but his countering ability is great and doesn't get as much praise.

It's the guys who sit back, box and can time him that get Pac into trouble. Barrera, Marquez, Floyd, etc.

The smart money for me is on Manny but Garcia and Thurman are such different fighters with different skills that I don't really see what Manny did to Keith rolling over into a potential fight with Mikey.

edit: I must be racist, I can't keep Barrera or Morales' names straight in my head.
Well Garcia sits back all right. He shit the bed against Spence by 'sitting' back. That was a horribly negative display and I see him repeating it against Manny. He'll just do enough to not get knocked out.

Well Garcia sits back all right. He shit the bed against Spence by 'sitting' back. That was a horribly negative display and I see him repeating it against Manny. He'll just do enough to not get knocked out.

Yeah I'm certainly not saying otherwise re: Spence. But, of course, that wasn't the point of my post.

Mikeys head is fucking massive lol

This feels like a cash out fight... for Mikey, not the 40-something year old Pacquiao.

Mikey has an educated punchers chance. That’s it. He’s too slow a foot to hang with Manny and his head too big to be missed.

Don’t expect Manny to KO him because I think he’ll respect Miley’s power, but I expect that Manny will put what might be a career altering beating on Mikey like he did to Margarito. But Mikeys getting paid, so good for him

Mikeys head is fucking massive lol

Part of it is that Thurman has a tiny head. But Mike and Pacquiao do both seem to have big bones for shorter guys. I saw Pacquiao at Wild Card gym and I was surprised by how much physical presence he had for a small guy, very lean guy.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2020/07/manny-pacquiao-adviser-hints-mikey-garcia-next-for-him/

Advisor Sean Gibbons of MP Promotions gave a big hint over the weekend that Manny Pacquiao will be facing Mikey Garcia in his next fight. Gibbons posted a photo on Instagram of him posing with Keith ‘One Time’ Thurman and Mikey Garcia, and said, “One Down One to Go!

No way they do the fight without fans. Seems like a perfect fight for Cowboys stadium or staples center.

It’ll be at least 6-8 months out probably

Lol if this was Floyd picking Garcia everyone would call him a ducker of Spence and the other top real WWs.

I can see Mikey taking a UD. He's not the same since Spence beats the brakes off of him, but he is still young and very active behind the jab. Jessie Vargas might not be the best barometer for how Mikey would do against Manny, but still. I really wish Manny just retired after the Thurman fight. This will be a tough fight for both guys I think.

I can see Mikey taking a UD. He's not the same since Spence beats the brakes off of him, but he is still young and very active behind the jab. Jessie Vargas might not be the best barometer for how Mikey would do against Manny, but still. I really wish Manny just retired after the Thurman fight. This will be a tough fight for both guys I think.

I think Pacquiao outworks him and wears him down, which is strange to say since Pacquiao is the much older guy. But haven’t been impressed with Garcia’s work rate or stamina, even against Broner he was starting to fade quite a bit.

I think Pacquiao outworks him and wears him down, which is strange to say since Pacquiao is the much older guy. But haven’t been impressed with Garcia’s work rate or stamina, even against Broner he was starting to fade quite a bit.

As much of a clown as Broner is, that kid can dig deep late in a fight. We saw it with Maidana and Porter, so I'm not surprised he gave Mikey a tough fight. But Pac has been fading late as well, as far as work rate is concerned. He allowed Thurman to come back late in the fight and narrow the score cards.

With Mikey, he's still young and has a stiff jab, but Pac usually eats up guys who are standard orthodox fighters. Prime for prime, no question Manny beats him clean. Now, I really don't know. Could be a long night for Pac.

Lol if this was Floyd picking Garcia everyone would call him a ducker of Spence and the other top real WWs.

Some people would and then they'd be told to go sit in the corner.

Replied to this thread before reading yours and make a great point, Spence or Danny Garcia are bad match ups for Pac, M Garcia is and always has been a legit top 1-3 his entire career but at 147 Pac could still make it interesting.

Spence and Crawford are too big, lean and mean for Paquiao. But both D.Garcia and Porter are just the right fights for more greatness.
Mickey is a really good fight too.

Imo
PAC should beat Mikey.
Probably loses to Porter (65/35)
Near dead heat and very dangerous for Pac against Danny (55/45 in Garcia’s favour).

Probably the Danny Garcia fight being his single greatest fight (legend enhancement against viable matchup wise) out of all of them.

Yeah I'm certainly not saying otherwise re: Spence. But, of course, that wasn't the point of my post.
I know what you are saying and yes that makes sense with a defensive master like Floyd but Garcia is not that as he showed against Spence. Floyd would still outpoint you by shutting down your offense whilst still picking you off with sharp counters. Garcia just closed down to avoid getting KO'd versus Spence, that doesn't take nearly as much skill. In my view Pac presents the same offensive danger as Spence to Garcia not because he hits as hard or works the body like Spence but because he has a high volume (even as an older fighter), speed and he hits plenty hard against Garcia who is really a 135lb fighter. This combination will swamp Garcia who will just go into boring survival mode again.

I know what you are saying and yes that makes sense with a defensive master like Floyd but Garcia is not that as he showed against Spence. Floyd would still outpoint you by shutting down your offense whilst still picking you off with sharp counters. Garcia just closed down to avoid getting KO'd versus Spence, that doesn't take nearly as much skill. In my view Pac presents the same offensive danger as Spence to Garcia not because he hits as hard or works the body like Spence but because he has a high volume (even as an older fighter), speed and he hits plenty hard against Garcia who is really a 135lb fighter. This combination will swamp Garcia who will just go into boring survival mode again.

Yeah I wouldn't argue against any of that. Though I think you're focusing on Floyd but ignoring guys like Marquez, who fights nothing like Floyd and who Manny found very hittable. Yet Marquez was able to give him hell each time they fought, twice at 147 (well above Marquez's ideal weight). Now Mikey isn't exactly Juan either in approach nor resume, but I'd say Mikey is certainly as big (possibly bigger) than Marquez. And I think he's demonstrated that he has a hard-ass head. I don't see a reason to believe that Manny will discourage Mikey the way Spence did. Spence didn't have to use his physicality, but you know when you hit someone larger than you - and they don't budge - it can be discouraging. His shots can move a smaller guy in Pacquiao. I don't see him getting discouraged as quickly (though it can definitely devolve into that).

Chances are good that Manny puts it on him, and that's where my money will be. But it has nothing to do with Thurman, and I think there's a chance it ends up being a good scrap.

edit: also, Mikey won't have to battle a big height/reach disparity against Pacquiao like he did against Errol.

Back