Mandatory Title Defenses

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Blackjack, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Black Belt

I believe that The UFC needs to instate a rule that would define exactly how long a champion can go without defending his title before he is stripped of the title. I'd be in favor of a rule stating that if 120 days go by without a champion defending his title, he will be stripped of it.

The hardest thing isn't winning a championship belt; it's holding on to the belt. Far too many fighters have gotten away with ridiculously long periods of time without defending their titles. It hurts the sport and if the sport is to grow, there needs to be a rule that clearly states the maximum amount of time a fighter can go without defending his title before he is stripped of it. We have far to many instances of champions defending their titles once in a year, which makes the title somewhat of a joke. The fans want to see fighting champions who are willing to defend their titles on a regular basis, even when they may be sick or injured. Staying in shape, avoiding serious injury, and being consistently able to defend his title are all attributes a champion should have in order for him to maintain both his and The UFC's credibility and integrity.

2. GloutonSang

GloutonSang Brown Belt

120 days, are you shitting me? Maybe a year.

3. JordanLUFC

JordanLUFC Red Belt

Being able to 'avoid serious injury' is a bit strange isn't it? Accidents happen in the gym in a contact sport, how can you possibly avoid that?

4. KevinL314

KevinL314 Blue Belt

i agree, i think each champ should defend 3 times a year at least. if a champ is injured its okay but they should be stripped eventually. like cruz, he has been out for a long time the division has changed and i think he should be stripped for now

5. BrainLeakage

BrainLeakage Red Belt

120 days! lol

Twice a year is perfectly fine.

6. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

120 days is more than enough time. The WWE champion defends at every PPV, and oftentimes on at least one Monday Night Raw in between.

Think about it.

I know you won't.

7. accolyte1022

accolyte1022 Roll to the Goal

Exactly. Time for these MMA "athletes" to man up.

8. Aliens

Aliens Blue Belt

lol... nice

9. wellsdj1

wellsdj1 Red Belt

I'm not sure about 120 days but 5-6 months sounds about right. The biggest problem is the UFC holding divisions up because of a dumb reality show. Rousey for an example.

10. NoContest

NoContest Brown Belt

I don't think that's such a big problem. TUF or not they wouldn't defend the belt more often. Was Anderson Silva ever a coach on TUF?

11. jiujitsuforever

jiujitsuforever Banned Banned

north carolina: aka most bipolar weather on the ea
    so any champ that tears a tendon or ligament or breaks a bone should be stripped?

12. caliboi74lv

caliboi74lv Black Belt

This.

13. wellsdj1

wellsdj1 Red Belt

The UFC would never agree to it as they wouldnt be able to put champs on their silly reality show.

14. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

A year, and this idea is happening soon anyway (but I don't know how long the UFC will choose before they strip an injured guy of title)

15. caliboi74lv

caliboi74lv Black Belt

I can only see a champ being "stripped of the title" if he refuses to fight multiple contenders. And if he's injured for a long period of time. But fight whoever has the title when he's healthy.
    Props to a champ that will defend whatever state of health he's in, but it isn't fair to fans if an injury or illness prevents them from performing at their best. All athletes should constantly stay in shape, but injury happens, illnesses happen.
    If the UFC made champions defend with an injury or illness, wouldn't that tarnish their credibility and integrity?

16. MrKilroyT

MrKilroyT Brown Belt

I'd be in favor of a 365 day rule... but 120 is ridiculous. Champs barely fight that often when perfectly healthy.

17. dsb

dsb Orange Belt

I go back and forth. Think about the other side, using Cruz as an example. he's been out a while. There's now an interim champion who is an animal. His first fight back after a really long layoff will be Barao. That's rough!

Maybe it's a bad example to use, since it's so specific to BW and Barao...

18. Pacemaker Joe

Pacemaker Joe Silver Belt

Make it 8 months to a year from the first cancelled bout. GSP got hurt pretty much right before Diaz/Condit, what's he supposed to do, recover in a month? It's gotten crazy with Cruz though. Or automatically promote the interim champ one he's gone a year with the belt, or defended it twice.

19. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

I think the 1 year if fine

20. Wayweary

Wayweary Silver Belt

120 days is ridiculous. Six months at a minimum, but closer to a year to allow for injuries that EVERYONE in this sport has to go through sooner or later. But honestly, I'm fine with the way it is now, as long as Cruz doesn't get any more extensions, because it's getting to the point where it is just silly now. There have been people that announce retirement and come back sooner than this guy.