Man sues airline for sitting him next to obese passenger

I'm disappointed in the 'Berry atm. Not one Shane Carwin height cutting joke....

I disagree.

If the 110lb woman and the 220lb man are at their natural weights, but the 300lber is a typical fatty(as a healthcare worker, I have no love for them), then it's not less fair to a 110lb woman paying the same as a 220lb man. The 220lb man has no control over his weight. He didn't get to his weight due to poor lifestyle choices. He is at his weight due to his natural build. Using myself as an example, the best I could achieve, while still remaining healthy, would be 180lbs if I lost lean muscle and some fat.

Very very few 300lb people are at that weight irrespective of lifestyle. That 300lber got to that mass and volume due to their own choices. They have control over their build. They should pay more.

If the 300lber just has a ridiculous height and build, and all three are at their natural weights, then no one has a right to complain. Offsetting fuel costs be damned. Penalizing people thru fees for their natural body habitus is bullshit.

Edit: If it's an actual safety issue, then I take that back....

On aircraft weight is actually a big deal. You can measure the results of adding weight and removing weight on performance and economy fairly well and a pilot can feel the weight in the way a plane flies. Weight make a lot more difference in a plane than it does in a car or truck.

Economics would say the fairest way to sell plane tickets would be to charge you by the pound. They do with baggage already and air shipping is done by weight.

You knock 5% off the payload a plane is carrying it will make a difference.

A fair way to do it (and safest) is to say this plane has a 30,000 pound capacity for passengers and baggage. The baggage will cause a smaller center of gravity issue since it can be distributed easier. As they sell tickets they charge you by the pound and when 30,000 pound is reached no more tickets can be sold. If it is a fat flight it is better to have 10 empty seats than to compromise take off and stall characteristics.

Last edited:
that fat fuck, (who probably posts on here), must have gotten his knees shredded during the flight cant believe they let that flight happen with him blocking the aisle

Natural? What about any athlete who has to consume more calories to maintain body mass? Anyone who is consuming any form of supplement to do this, Muscle Milk, protein shakes, etc, is maintaining something about "natural" body mass.

You cannot lump all athletes into one category, for one. Different athletes train for different things. Those who consume supplements often do so to offset the reduction in calories from carbohydrates. If anything, they're exchanging fat loss for an increase and maintenance of lean muscle mass. I see no issue with this. I'd still say it's natural in the sense that they're maintaining a low weight by keeping their adipose levels to a minimum, in exchange for a small to moderate increase in lean muscle mass.

The only types of athletes who should be penalized in the way you're arguing are body builders, who purposefully increase their mass by significant amounts, and have to make a consistent and conscious effort to maintain their mass gains.

Then we get into what a normal, natural body mass is. Old people go pear shaped. This is normal and natural. Are you suggesting we should senior citizens more money for airplane tickets?

No I wasn't suggesting that... because you're the one who was arguing that people who weigh more should pay more. I was the one who did not agree.

No I wasn't suggesting that... because you're the one who was arguing that people who weigh more should pay more. I was the one who did not agree.

It's not the airlines fault that a heavier person affects flight characteristics and fuel consumption.

On aircraft weight is actually a big deal. You can measure the results of adding weight and removing weight on performance and economy fairly well and a pilot can feel the weight in the way a plane flies. Weight make a lot more difference in a plane than it does in a car or truck.

Economics would say the fairest way to sell plane tickets would be to charge you by the pound. They do with baggage already and air shipping is done by weight.

You knock 5% off the payload a plane is carrying it will make a difference.

A fair way to do it (and safest) is to say this plane has a 30,000 pound capacity for passengers and baggage. The baggage will cause a smaller center of gravity issue since it can be distributed easier. As they sell tickets they charge you by the bound and with 30,000 pound is reached no more tickets can be sold. If it is a fat flight it is better to have 10 empty seats than to compromise take off and stall characteristics.

This makes sense. I have no argument against it.

It's not the airlines fault that a heavier person affects flight characteristics and fuel consumption.

They can't really complain if the market isn't providing them with the ideal customer. That's like penalizing people for not flying first class.

They can't really complain if the market isn't providing them with the ideal customer. That's like penalizing people for not flying first class.

No but it is a fact that it is cheaper for them to haul a 110 pound lady than a 220 pound man. The little people are subsidizing the bigger people.

I admit people smaller than me are keeping my costs down. This is not the same kind of discrimination.

On the market, it is kind of artificial as the FFA creates the rules (we do need the FFA but they are not always smart) and we get airlines with little room to do things better. If this were a bus or a train I would be saying none of this. Adding weight to a bus or train has a smaller impact than it does to aircraft.

It is funny because they are Fat,

I my self is a FAT person and have kinda defended FAT rights until the day I bump into ma Fatter than me and almost crushed me to suffocation at a jam pack Public Transport in a 4th World country.

Ahhh I needed a good laugh thank you sir

lol @ "fluid coming from his mouth".

No hate, but those who are morbidly obese should have to purchase two seats if they can't fit into one without hampering their neighbor.

No but it is a fact that it is cheaper for them to haul a 110 pound lady than a 220 pound man. The little people are subsidizing the bigger people.

I admit people smaller than me are keeping my costs down. This is not the same kind of discrimination.

On the market, it is kind of artificial as the FFA creates the rules (we do need the FFA but they are not always smart) and we get airlines with little room to do things better. If this were a bus or a train I would be saying none of this. Adding weight to a bus or train has a smaller impact than it does to aircraft.

I understand what you're saying, but airlines are pretty shitty as it is and I am not looking to give them another way to abuse and gouge customers.

I'm 6'6'' 280lbs, and have size 16 feet, So I hate trying to squeeze into the ever shrinking seat on planes. But I don't spill over into others seats or the aisle. That said, I almost always try to upgrade to first class or at minimum get a exit row. I do it for my comfort, and also don't like dealing, with the ever decressing room they give you in coach. That said no one wants a stranger invading there personal space, and I know I have been annoyed when people on planes bump into you, sleep on you, smell, are loud ect... But alot of people are just annoying and rude, and could care less about your personal space.

I once got on a loaded plane, and had a exit row aisle seat, but the 2 other guys in my row were huge. Both brothers, who each weighed between 350-425 and were around 5'5''-5'7''. They did not fit, and were spilling over. They were very polite and apologetic, bought me drinks, and were not annoying, so it made the experience more tolerable, then the previous flight next to two skinny, yet horribly annoying and rude women. They kept cackling, elbowing me, and wouldn't shut up.

I understand what you're saying, but airlines are pretty shitty as it is and I am not looking to give them another way to abuse and gouge customers.

The airlines make about a 2% margin. The little people are paying for the big people and I am not little.

If you spill over into the space of another person on a plane then you should have to buy a second seat. It's that simple. If you don't like that then be somewhat in shape of a human being.

They should be lined up in a chain gang and made to walk and swim to their destination - rather than being allowed to fly. This may help the lard arses lose some weight and get to a normal size.

I am around 125kg, but it is muscle and it's amazing comparing 125kg of muscle to 125kg of fat. Even at my weight I don't take up the space of a fatty of equaling weight.

125kg of pure muscle? Holy shit, is that you, Hulk?

Back