Malik Scott claps back at sherdog's own Tim Witherspoon

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Tim had recently made some comments about Wilder and his decision to hire Malik Scott as his trainer.

Tim has also said he was unimpressed with the fight overall

Tim is right. Deontay can not box and was mad goofy, and it is like he got sloppier over time. His breakdown was spot on, and for all the 'Deontay is reborn and has 250% power increase', it was bogus. Deontay should have listened to Breland and Malik was not qualified to train a world champion. When Fury changed, he went to the proven best for what skill he was looking to increase (power). If Deontay was smart - which he was not - taken the 8 million to sit out the immediate rematch, fight a few cans and work on the new skills, and then rematch with a newer and more polished game plan. Instead, he got desperate, fired his proven trainer vs listening to him, bulked up more even and gassed harder, used new non Powerlock gloves and broke his hand, and threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Why the instigation ?
I'm just mentioning something that has actually happened. Are you implying that im twisting people's words or exaggerating something? Malik is actually pretty upset as far as I can tell, you want me to pretend like he's not?

I'm just mentioning something that has actually happened. Are you implying that im twisting people's words or exaggerating something? Malik is actually pretty upset as far as I can tell, you want me to pretend like he's not?
Never said that but i think we all know Wilders team are idiots. Just wouldn't mention his words about Witherspoon but thats just me i guess. Nothing wrong with the post

Not sure how Malik Scott got his tongue out of Wilder’s ass long enough to respond.

Men shouldn't use the term "clap back".
fucking kids today.

Anyway, I heard a story that Tim beat up someone that took advantage of an old Ali in sparring, nothing he can say will hurt him in my eyes.

A little opinion? Big deal, people today have thin skins. Ali used to laugh off Joe Louis' criticisms. Holmes was holmes and tyson was hypersensitive but if you put yourself out there you have to deal with criticism.

Butbutbut Malik has a brotherhood with Deontay. Joy and Love. And Malik has a "relationship" with Wilder. They would walk to a corner store together (maybe for ice cream).

honestly, i didn't think malik did so bad in the corner, i expected to see an asskisser as I've seen many times before, he was riding Wilder as he should have, I don't think there's really any way Wilder could have won or learned the things he needed in the amount of time given or the age Wilder is at, won't happen.

Butbutbut Malik has a brotherhood with Deontay. Joy and Love. And Malik has a "relationship" with Wilder. They would walk to a corner store together (maybe for ice cream).

“They would walk to the corner store, maybe for ice cream.” LOL

honestly, i didn't think malik did so bad in the corner, i expected to see an asskisser as I've seen many times before, he was riding Wilder as he should have, I don't think there's really any way Wilder could have won or learned the things he needed in the amount of time given or the age Wilder is at, won't happen.
I thought so as well. Malik didn't do bad at all in trying to motivate Wilder and advising him in the corner. I liked the gameplan that they had early to push Fury back with the body jab in order to stay on the front foot. The ref didn't allow as much grappling & mauling which is something I figured would be the case going into the trilogy. Surely Team Wilder mentioned it to the ref (Mora) at the fighter meetings or in the dressing room prior to the fight.

It was kind of a weak sauce question Tim asked Deontay. His videos and interviews also sound like he is vying for a job. Sorry if some don’t like it but that how he sounds to me.

It was kind of a weak sauce question Tim asked Deontay. His videos and interviews also sound like he is vying for a job. Sorry if some don’t like it but that how he sounds to me.
I don't think it's a secret, really. Tim does seem to be vying for that head trainer spot on Wilder's team. He also said that he had reached out to AJ in the past and he'd even potentially be open to assisting Fury. Basically, he's interested in helping one of the top dogs. He didn't like the idea of Malik, being a training partner of Wilder's, suddenly being promoted to head trainer.

Another thing he said was that he believes it was a mistake to release any video footage of Wilder on the pads as it'd only give his opponent (Fury) something to study before the fight. Maybe he thinks he'd have been a better fit than Malik as Wilder's head trainer? Likely because he has old school knowledge of the game.

I don't think it's a secret, really. Tim does seem to be vying for that head trainer spot on Wilder's team. He also said that he had reached out to AJ in the past and he'd even potentially be open to assisting Fury. Basically, he's interested in helping one of the top dogs. He didn't like the idea of Malik, being a training partner of Wilder's, suddenly being promoted to head trainer.

Another thing he said was that he believes it was a mistake to release any video footage of Wilder on the pads as it'd only give his opponent (Fury) something to study before the fight. Maybe he thinks he'd have been a better fit than Malik as Wilder's head trainer? Likely because he has old school knowledge of the game.

I heard all that, It just came off a little slimy and sophomoric. I don’t know any of these guys, that’s just my impression.

edit. Malik seems like a fairly genuine dude. I base this on his assessment of the fight, both his charge and the victor, was quite balanced. He appeared to be fairly shocked by Tim’s comments. Again, I don’t know these people.

Last edited:
I heard all that, It just came off a little slimy and sophomoric. I don’t know any of these guys, that’s just my impression.

edit. Malik seems like a fairly genuine dude. I base this on his assessment of the fight, both his charge and the victor, was quite balanced. He appeared to be fairly shocked by Tim’s comments. Again, I don’t know these people.
I hear you. I'd have approached the situation differently than Tim did but that's not to throw shade at him. I mean, he did straight up question Wilder as to whether he found the right head trainer or not. He was direct in that instance if nothing else. I don't think it was his place to be asking him that but the guy's got moxie and he probably genuinely believes that he could help Wilder win his world title back.

Back