Making Seafood Gumbo for the First Time

Hans Gercmiov

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions? I've watched about a dozen videos and read a few recipes and they're all fucking different. Idk what to think.

I have no suggestions, but I damn sure want to hear the results.

Anyone have suggestions? I've watched about a dozen videos and read a few recipes and they're all fucking different. Idk what to think.
it's gumbo bro, no reason to be a fascist. you can throw whatever you want in it.

Well this means that gumbo is a flexible dish. It will largely depend on what YOU like so it's better to get in the kitchen and experiment with different things you'd like to eat in your gumbo rather than ask this forum for a recipe.

Only you know what you want.

Well this means that gumbo is a flexible dish. It will largely depend on what YOU like so it's better to get in the kitchen and experiment with different things you'd like to eat in your gumbo rather than ask this forum for a recipe.

Only you know what you want.

My main concern is how long do i cook it

Making your roux is probably the hardest part. You want it nice and brown but not burnt, so keep a close eye on it and always be stirring it. If you can accomplish that, its pretty easy from there. Depending on what seafood your using, timing when to put it in so it doesn't overcook it the only other possible challenge.

Yeah, goto HEB, goto gourmet section, buy https://www.heb.com/product-detail/...ouisiana-style-quot-creole-gumbo-base/1827624

Your choice with or without Okra seeds in it.

Somewhere else in the store they got Louisiana style rue in a glass jar, buy a jar of the medium, (works good as an added thickener to get the consistency you want)

Then add Sausage, Fish, Shrimp celery, etc etc.

Make some rice, get some croutons.

Easy. makes Bitchen Gumbo yo.

Yeh I've watched a shit load. They never tell you how long. Or what temperature for that matter.
I haven't looked for any recipes but I'm gonna assume you have to babysit it and wait for certain signs to move forward in the recipe. With baking, it's best to use exact measurements and baking times but gumbo is very different. Depending on what ingredients you use, the times may vary.

I haven't looked for any recipes but I'm gonna assume you have to babysit it and wait for certain signs to move forward in the recipe. With baking, it's best to use exact measurements and baking times but gumbo is very different. Depending on what ingredients you use, the times may vary.

I'm just gonna go gangsta on it.

Go to a Cajun Restaurant or move to New Orleans.

Maybe @Cint has some ideas, he's from Nawlins. Fucking love that shit, so good.

Maybe @Cint has some ideas, he's from Nawlins. Fucking love that shit, so good.

It all starts with making the Roux as your base. The Cajun Holy Trinity of bell peppers, celery and onions is the key. I use garlic when I make my Gumbo. There's so many variations its endless.

3373938823_6d564a94cc.jpg

Back