Making private equity available to the masses: What steps are necessary?

Iman Barlow

the boss
Reaction score
How can we make a Shark Tank scenario available to people with as little as 5k in disposable income?

I'm thinking they invest in local restaurants, gas stations, businesses, and the like.

Here's the problem. The average person is really quite stupid. Their ideas and plans are basic and aren't worth anything, yet in their delusional mind have the next million dollar idea. If you give them 5k or even 50k you can consider it gone , because them being stupid is the reason they don't have any $ in the first place.

they'll have to make the case for what they'll do with the 5k.

Aren't small business loans already available? If you are talking equity would need to find someone willing to risk a ton of money to unproven people. Not going to happen.

Investing in restaurants is for millionaires looking for a hobby.

I think what you are referring to usually would be done through family/friends or now crowd funding. 5k wouldn't really go very far tbh. The idea is great but I think accomplishing what your are saying is unrealistic.

Honestly in most cases someone who can t put aside 5k for his venture probably will fail anyways.

Also, I would never invest a dime on someone who has no skin in the game.

Lastly, screw 5K to open a second café. That's stupid shit. Bring me someone who has really developed an idea and invested his life savings in it.

Bottom line is, getting investors or banks financing you isn't anybody's right, and 99% of people are unlikely unworthy of it. Including myself BTW.

Aren't small business loans already available? If you are talking equity would need to find someone willing to risk a ton of money to unproven people. Not going to happen.

I feel as if our current financial system is responsible for many of the problems we are facing now.

Banks make loans which are 'guaranteed' by the gov't, and they have no skin in the game. Imagine on the other hand you have a budding Mark Cuban who sees potential in your bar, and he'll move heaven and earth to make it successful.

THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE.

I mean, this is just go to your friends type shit.

I feel as if our current financial system is responsible for many of the problems we are facing now.

Banks make loans which are 'guaranteed' by the gov't, and they have no skin in the game. Imagine on the other hand you have a budding Mark Cuban who sees potential in your bar, and he'll move heaven and earth to make it successful.

THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE.

Completely unrealistic. An extremely wealthy person wouldn't move heaven an earth for the random person. The idea has to be great, they have to be proven and all that other shit. Random untested people for small things like a small restaurant would literally be a waste of a super wealthy persons time as it could be better spent on something else that would be much more profitable.

I certainly wouldn't invest in something unless I truly believed in the thing/product, the person and saw that they could deliver with the right financial push.

Completely unrealistic. An extremely wealthy person wouldn't move heaven an earth for the random person. The idea has to be great, they have to be proven and all that other shit. Random untested people for small things like a small restaurant would literally be a waste of a super wealthy persons time as it could be better spent on something else that would be much more profitable.
You're right about that. An extremely wealthy person has less urgency than the rest of us.

But these ideas are not untested, nor are they radical. You're thinking VENTURE CAPITALISM, which is synonymous with hi-tech.

I'm talking about stuff for normal people. Like say a successful cafe that wants to launch a second location, and not only do you have 5k to spare, but your brother in law is a real estate agent and has an inside tip about some distressed properties going up in a nice area which would suit the second location.

I certainly wouldn't invest in something unless I truly believed in the thing/product, the person and saw that they could deliver with the right financial push.
they still have to have a track record of success, similar to the show.

I think what you are referring to usually would be done through family/friends or now crowd funding. 5k wouldn't really go very far tbh. The idea is great but I think accomplishing what your are saying is unrealistic.

5k can make a restaurant go online if they don't already have a kitchen

you can do mico loans in the hood, like the ones they have in Africa.

Banks sometimes loan money to small businesses I think.

As a small business owner, it is already available to us.

If you're talking very small "loans" like $500 or so, you can do that through sites like Prosper.com or Kiva.com

I think what TS is suggesting a platform that allows the public to bankroll small private owned companies for a share of the profit, correct?

I think what TS is suggesting a platform that allows the public to bankroll small private owned companies for a share of the profit, correct?

Isnt that what peer to peer lending is?

But at the grass roots level, you get together with friends and family, and pitch them a business idea.

Penny-stocks baby!

leonardo-dicaprio-in-the-001__130927025803.jpg

Back