Making olympic fit a standard bar?

MATT33

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I recently received some new olympic weights, the problem, I have a standard bar. I've searched around for some info on how to possibly make this work, but to no success. I tried sticking some fabric into the olympic weight hole to make it fit better, it didnt really work. I can't return the weights, and it would be a shame to waste them, any advice?

Umm...buy an olympic bar?

That's a damn good idea.

But, I'm in the same boat as you. I wanted to put Oly plates on std. dumbbells. I made adapters out of plastic (nylon). They had a 1.02 i.d., a 1.97 o.d., and a 2.5" dia x 1/4" wide lip to keep the weights in place.
After trying some heavy turkish getups, the weights came down harder that I meant to and broke the lip off my adapters.

So, I made large aluminum washers to go on either side of my plates and faced off what was left of the lips off of my plastic adapters so they fit completely inside my weights.

How does this help you?

I don't know, but I'd imagine there are adapters available to purchase somewhere on the internet.

Umm...buy an olympic bar?

Should've been more clear. I don't have enough olympic weights for any of my lifts, I am going to need to mix and match olympic with standard.

MatterOverMind, I had thought about something like you advised. I was just hoping there was an easier way, thanks for the input.

Use a pool noodle. I just did it today, had to adapt oly plates to standard bar, and although they're foam and have some give, it does center the weight on the bar pretty well, for a buck or two.
Second would be to here http://www.americanfitness.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=16 and get the Olympic Adapter Sleeve.

I thought about the hardware store, a piece of pipe 1" in dia, 2"outside dia, would work too, but the pool noodle worked for me. YMMV.

they sell plastic pieces that go over the standard bar to fit oly weights...I dont have a link, I just know cause they came with a standard set I used to have.

Should've been more clear. I don't have enough olympic weights for any of my lifts, I am going to need to mix and match olympic with standard.

MatterOverMind, I had thought about something like you advised. I was just hoping there was an easier way, thanks for the input.

Ahh, gotcha. Some sort of adapter like they said would be probably be best.

That sleeve won't work on it's own. The weights will be able to fall to the inside of the bar unless he gets something to stop them.

Like a 5 or 10 lb disc that fits, to sandwich the oly plates.

Anyway MATT try the pool noodle. I have oly 45s centered on a standard bar with them. And they're cheap.

Like a 5 or 10 lb disc that fits, to sandwich the oly plates.

Ah yes. I didn't think of that since it's wasn't an option for me because there isn't enough room on the dumbbells.

What are the differences? At my gym we have the oly bars...how big are std?

Std. is 1". Also, the bar is one piece, so the weights can't spin freely.

Back