Making a Murderer Update - Brenden Dassey Conviction Overturned

Scerpi

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Unbelievable... They did it. The State has 90 days to appeal though... Not sure how that works though.

Brendan Dassey's conviction in Halbach homicide overturned
http://www.wisn.com/news/brendan-dasseys-conviction-overturned/41178138

Dassey, Steven Avery's nephew, was sentenced to life in prison with no parole for 41 years after he was convicted in 2007 of first-degree intentional homicide, second-degree sexual assault, and mutilation of a corpse in the killing of Halbach in Manitowoc County.

The federal ruling says the state has 90 days to appeal the federal order or Dassey must be released from prison. He is being held at Columbia Correctional Institution.

U.S. Magistrate Judge William Duffin said "misconduct" by Dassey's lawyer, Len Kachinsky, in defending Dassey was "indefensible."

The court ruled Dassey's confession was "involuntary" and was based on "false promises" by interrogators, "Dassey's age and intellectual deficits."

Well.... Any thoughts? It's be about 8 months since the show came out.

Misread this the first time

The above makes reference to the retarded nephew.

Figures, he was railroaded.

How about the Steven? When is his conviction going to be quashed. The whole thing was bs.

I don't think he had any part of it. Now he'll finally be able to watch Wrestlemania again.

Good for him. He was definitely picked to be stoolie very early on. However, his uncle did kill Teresa Halbach.

If either of them should be released it's him for sure. Just sucks that people have to spend a good portion of a decade in prison before the obvious is corrected.

I'm sure the prosecutors will retry him and try to put an innocent man back in prison instead of having an overturned conviction on their resumes.

Idk what he's going to do with his life, but I'm happy for him.

After watching the show I'm still iffy on the main guy, but yea I thought it was pretty clear this Brendan kid didnt do it.

If either of them should be released it's him for sure. Just sucks that people have to spend a good portion of a decade in prison before the obvious is corrected.

I'm sure the prosecutors will retry him and try to put an innocent man back in prison instead of having an overturned conviction on their resumes.

Ken Kratz was run out for sexting a witness.

So he's gone

Misread this the first time

The above makes reference to the retarded nephew.

Figures, he was railroaded.

How about the Steven? When is his conviction going to be quashed. The whole thing was bs.

Personally, I think Steve did it. Was never convinced the kid was in on it tho tbh. And that's from doing a lot of my own reading, not just what was on the show.

I think he was involved in the murder. But I wasn't in favor of interrogating minors like that just because the parents are retards.
That kid was railroaded mostly by his family. I read on Reddit that he had a deal in place but declined it. That must have been because the family tried to protect his uncle.

Steven is clearly guilty those are two completely different cases in regards to available evidence. So the kid doing 10 year sounds about what he would have done with a deal all things considered sounds about right. Lets hope he can get away from that family now.

I heard about this earlier. It's interesting and the right decision, I think. Even if he's guilty, the way they got the confession is fucked up and so there's way too much presumption of innocence.

Kind of fucked up that, even after a conviction is overturned, they can hold you for 90 days.

Stop me if you have heard this story before. A guy is wrongly imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit in small town Wisconsin. He decides to sue the state, and a woman mysteriously goes missing and ends up dead at his house. Morale of the story: If Brendan decides to sue, he better move his ass outta Wisconsin.

bMZDmiOaADBNRrB-1600x900-noPad.jpg

So did he get out in time to make 6th period?

Back