Makhachev is the Hory MacDonald to Khabibs GSP

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ExitLUPin, Oct 28, 2020.

1. ExitLUPin K

The next in line. All the gym stories of how they dominate there. Early career knockout but at least Hory lost a very competitive fight in the 3rd VS a gureat WW in Condit and not some forgettable LW in the 1st round

Hory/Islam might have gureat all around skills and technique but they lack the intangibles and physical attributes of GSP/Khabib. GSP/Khabib were both absolute freak athletes with stupid explosion, speed, strength, balance, flexibility etc. Islam/Hory aren't anywhere close to being as naturally gifted physically as those 2 and it puts a ceiling on then

Many thought Hory was a future UFC champ for years (even favorite against Robbie both times) but he came up short. He could compete with the best but not be dominant at the top level consistently like GSP. Same situation will happen to Islam. All you Makhachev stans anticipating Khabib 2.0 are gonna be very very disappointed

Devilton, BlackStrap and sampuncher like this.
  2. Hellowhosthat Silver Belt

I'm not sure Islam is as skilled as Rory was. Rory is one of the most skilled martial artists I've ever seen.

3. sampuncher Black Belt

Yeah, Islam won't be champ IMO. Rory had a lot more of a chance than Islam does. LW now the talent pool is a lot stronger than WW was when Rory was active aswell.

I know Khabib fanboys will tell me the whole UFC Roster is avoiding him apparently though.

omawho402 likes this.
  4. ExitLUPin K

Ranked fighters are def avoiding Islam. It's not even arguable anymore but that's mostly b/c he's underranked, very dangerous fight and not a big name yet

5. Alexnotonfire Orange Belt

I'm going to bet money on Islam in every fight he competes the same way I've made good money betting always on Khabib.

6. sampuncher Black Belt

Of course it's arguable. The only people who have said that are Islams manager and coach.

7. ExitLUPin K

There hasn't been good money to be made on Khabib since his early UFC fights. Ever since Trujillo he's been a massive favorite in every fight. The smallest odds you'll basically get were the Conor fight and that was still basically 3:1. You'd have to bet close to thousands to make any real return at Khabib odds. Otherwise you're not making much

orca likes this.
  8. Goatbib Blue Belt

If Abdulmanap thought Islam would be the next champ, I have no doubt he would be. 2022 will be the year of Islam.

9. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Um no, Makhachev is nowhere near Rory's level, yet.

RoyalTS likes this.
  10. Abazzdeboom Legend in the making

Seems like Khabib couldnt have cheese with his burgers so I really dont know about that mcdonald comparison...

11. ExitLUPin K

Firas thought Hory would be champ too. And yes Abdulmanap was prolly a better turainer but it's obvious the talent in Dagestan is among the best in combat sports. Canadian fighting talent has never been deep

Beterbiev top LHW in boxing 8th ranked p4p, Sadulaev on his way to being the freestyle wrestling GOAT. Alot of other dagestans or chechnyans in MMA not turained by Abdulmanap too

12. Alexnotonfire Orange Belt

I somewhat agree and Islam also is a huge betting favorite against any opponent. Even though he has a weakness in suspect chin, just think about it - the dude is privileged to be trained by Abdulmanap, Khabib and Javier Mendez. His grappling is already super elite and his striking can be worked on and polished in AKA. The dude's got the best possible coaches and sparring partners. Khabib is personally interested in him becoming a champ so he will do his best to transfer his skills and knowledge to Islam. Also he trains at high altitudes in the Dagestan mountains meaning his cardio should be great.

13. TheWave111 Yellow Card Yellow Card

He doesn't have the top control and pressure of Khabib.
    He has better wrestling but less grappling.
    There will be more stand up in his fights.

Khabib can decide every second where the fight takes place.
    Makechev can't do that yet. That's why it will be harder for him to be dominant.

14. HNIC215 Semper Fidelis...

That’s actually a nice analogy but I think Islam has more potential than Rory.

Still kudos for the analogy.

15. sampuncher Black Belt

<BC1>

16. Hespectfully Black Belt Platinum Member

Islam Bellator bound confurimed

17. ExitLUPin K

[​IMG]

0/13

18. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Don't quote me on that but I think they train at sea-level in Makhachkala.

19. Grapplefest Black Belt

People at aka say he's the only guy that's as good as Khabib, but he doesn't have the mental game to take that into the next level in the octagon. Hopefully with Khabib and DC's coaching, he transcends.

20. balkanbomber85 Green Belt

Islam is a poor man´s Leon Edwards and the only reason he gets so much hype on SD is the Kabib fanbase which pulled him behind the warwaggon because he is in kabibs team and he is muslim. this will stop when he gets the next loss, then they will start pushing another guy and so on...

Abazzdeboom likes this.