Make your own mead at home, MMAgirlie style

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll see what I can do, but I doubt I'll be making mead before the week is out.

As for buying it, heh, not likely. I'm in Canada. Lots of small meaderies around the US though if you do some digging. The style will be different for most meaderies though, with many going for heavy and sweet, more like a sherry than anything else, or light and sweet, more like cider than anything else.

My roots are calling. For MEAD! I demand mead!!!

Maybe I should see what's around here or make my own. Could be fun.

Just did a Bing (yes, I use Bing) search for Texas meaderies and several came up. But, seriously, this is about as easy as cooking dinner when all is said and done using a lot of the same processes you'll use cooking.

Once you've done it once, you'll be shocked at how easy it is. Boil water, add honey, stir, let cool, add yeast, siphon into carboy, plug and store carboy.

Making it is all well and good, but I ain't about waiting six months to get my grog on, nah'm sayin?

I meant to call around the local spirit stores the other day to see if any had mead in stock. Great thread, thanks for posting.

And yes, a flagon would seem more appropriate.

Making it is all well and good, but I ain't about waiting six months to get my grog on, nah'm sayin?

I meant to call around the local spirit stores the other day to see if any had mead in stock. Great thread, thanks for posting.

And yes, a flagon would seem more appropriate.

Six months is a long wait, but one little trick I found out - and I really have no idea why this is the case - is that if you boil black tea into the water before you mix in the honey the ferment goes hyper and it's clear and drinkable in about 2 months. You should slightly lower the water level in the carboy if you do this because it foams significantly more but the ferment seems to be tapering off in about 6 weeks if you just boil in about 10 orange pekoe tea bags which are mild enough in flavour to hardly even change the flavour of the mead. If you want, you can use a bitter black tea or an orange flavoured earl grey or a chai or anything else if you want the flavour - any black tea will be the same for speeding the ferment, basically, but the flavour possibilities are bloody endless.

I assume that black tea is just a really good nutrient mixture for yeast but I don't know for sure.

I had my first mead the other day from B Nektar who are supposed to make some of the best mead in the states. It was alright. I'll stick to beer though.

I make beer all the time; never had the patience to wait for mead to be ready. Maybe I'll have to reconsider.

i drank mead at a beer geek tasting party once.

it was delicious, but i haven't drank it since. never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back