Make a case for your faith/belief/worldview in 100 words or less

Everything that begins to exist has a cause.

^^^The poverty of mans imagination.

Nothing like pointing your finger at the universe and telling it what it can or can't do. Hopefully it gets the memo and complies with your demands so your ego isn't hurt.

Everything that begins to exist has a cause.

Quantum physics seem to disagree with the above premise, as far as the best experts on the field can tell. Apparently, uncaused beginnings are extremely common on quantum level and with little extrapolation we can conclude that it is indeed possible that the universe began to exist similarly without any cause. Moreover, no evidence of such a first cause has ever been found.

But the only immaterial causes we know of are minds.

The way science currently understands "a mind" there's nothing immaterial about it.

As for my case:

Considering the excessive amount of needless suffering evident on this world, it is logically impossible for an all-powerful and all-loving force to exist, as such a "god" would have removed at least the suffering of innocent children. It cannot be argued that all the horrors of the world are caused by the actions of men alone, as an omniscient force would have foreseen those actions and being all-powerful could have changed things for the better - even without breaking the "free will" of anyone.

Thus, if a "god" of any sort exists, it can only be a force of evil that promotes human suffering instead of love. Whether or not such a "god" exists, it absolutely does not deserve our appreciation, obedience or worship.

Agnostic here. I don't know what or who to believe in. So many contradictions out there.

Might be more than 100 words

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Brilliant!

Quantum physics seem to disagree with the above premise, as far as the best experts on the field can tell. Apparently, uncaused beginnings are extremely common on quantum level and with little extrapolation we can conclude that it is indeed possible that the universe began to exist similarly without any cause. Moreover, no evidence of such a first cause has ever been found.

The way science currently understands "a mind" there's nothing immaterial about it.

As for my case:

Considering the excessive amount of needless suffering evident on this world, it is logically impossible for an all-powerful and all-loving force to exist, as such a "god" would have removed at least the suffering of innocent children. It cannot be argued that all the horrors of the world are caused by the actions of men alone, as an omniscient force would have foreseen those actions and being all-powerful could have changed things for the better - even without breaking the "free will" of anyone.

Thus, if a "god" of any sort exists, it can only be a force of evil that promotes human suffering instead of love. Whether or not such a "god" exists, it absolutely does not deserve our appreciation, obedience or worship.

What in quantum physics doesn't have a cause? That sounds like mysticism.

The chances of us being on this planet under these conditions were so small, not to mention the chances of us being born were small as well. That makes us extremely lucky. The universe is fucking amazing, and so is humanity, and so are the science and history that's coming closer to explaining us. Maybe we're the universe become conscious of itself...

What in quantum physics doesn't have a cause? That sounds like mysticism.

Apparently, some particles both appear and are destroyed spontaneously, without any perceivable external cause. My ability to explain it by my own words is probably woefully inadequate (I'm no scientist, let alone a physicist myself), so I would like to just point you to the book "A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss, which explains it all much more convincingly than I ever could. If you do a simple google-search by the title of the book, I'm sure you'll find more information.

Whales used to be walking, wolf-like creatures; Jesus was a can.

Apparently, some particles both appear and are destroyed spontaneously, without any perceivable external cause. My ability to explain it by my own words is probably woefully inadequate (I'm no scientist, let alone a physicist myself), so I would like to just point you to the book "A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss, which explains it all much more convincingly than I ever could. If you do a simple google-search by the title of the book, I'm sure you'll find more information.

They appear out of already existing fields and are caused by fluctuations and whatever else is happening in that field. Take away the field and those fluctuations, and you would have no such thing happening. There is your cause.

Everything you can conjure in your mind shares a common trait with all that there is. The wisest demonstration of the gods was putting a kill switch in us all, and on a large enough time scale, includes the Universe itself. The Gods created it this way for only one reason - as insurance. A timeclock preset to destruction acting as a final barrier against any unknown or unpredictable miscalculations that may threaten their reign.

http://friarlaurence26.blogspot.com/2012/12/of-gods-and-men.html

Might be more than 100 words

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

All anyone ever needs.

The universe is energy filling up as we develop eventually and if correctly we will fill the entire universe with energy and then once again the cycle continues another big bang hopefully with better design in mind with great precision. laws enforced, better defenses, strict but kind knowledgable leaders, no scam artists at every turn trying to gain power. :D

Lmao at the part about scholars being unable to deny the sightings of resurrected Jesus. 2013 and this shit is still alive and well.

Lmao at the part about scholars being unable to deny the sightings of resurrected Jesus. 2013 and this shit is still alive and well.

Have you ever read the contemporary literature on the topic? Obviously not, or you would not scoff at the facts. Do your homework before showing your ignorance of the issues.

My worldview is that I don't know shit. My case is that I'm a monkey with a language.

Have you ever read the contemporary literature on the topic? Obviously not, or you would not scoff at the facts. Do your homework before showing your ignorance of the issues.

Are you going to site or list anything, or just state that someone else hasnt read it?

Studying history has led me to conclude that whatever values/beliefs we have at this moment will change drastically in the years to come. So my views are hardly my views, they are my generations views. I'd like to believe I'm different or special for coming up with my 'own' thoughts from time to time but there are millions just like me. I bask in insignificance and I love it.

Could you point one or two out to me please? Contemporary literatures that is.

Back