Makabu-Mchunu Rematch on January 29, King Says Canelo Will Be Ringside

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez will be a very interested observer, because Hall of Fame promoter Don King has announced the details for the world title rematch between WBC cruiserweight champion Ilunga Makabu and the number one challenger, WBC silver champion Thabiso Mchunu.

King plans to stage the fight in his home state of Ohio on Saturday, Jan. 29.

The card will take place at the W.D. Packard Music Hall in Warren, OH.

https://www.boxingscene.com/makabu-mchunu-rematch-on-january-29-king-says-canelo-ringside--162311

Hah, just posted this in the other topic, I'm sure some will be outraged that these two will wear each other down and that a 5'11 33 year old fighter in Mchunu might face Canelo at cruiserweight.

Hah, just posted this in the other topic, I'm sure some will be outraged that these two will wear each other down and that a 5'11 33 year old fighter in Mchunu might face Canelo at cruiserweight.
i don’t think he’ll get much done against makabu. he was a better fighter when they first met, makabu is better now, and makabu still KTFO’d him after a horrific beating. this almost feels like a promotional tactic to get makabu a highlight reel beatdown against a top 5 CW before feeding him to canelo.

^Solid points, Makubu will know he can't risk looking bad against someone he KO'ed before. Mchunu has a little shine with his last couple of wins going to Russia to get them.

i don’t think he’ll get much done against makabu. he was a better fighter when they first met, makabu is better now, and makabu still KTFO’d him after a horrific beating. this almost feels like a promotional tactic to get makabu a highlight reel beatdown against a top 5 CW before feeding him to canelo.

To be fair though its hard to see Canelo fighting Machabu as a "feed him to Canelo" scenario.

No, Machabu is not regarded by anyone and is only a champion in this 4+ belt era.

However, Canelo has fought above 168 one time. Thinking he can effortlessly move up to 190-200 is comical. If it was so easy every fighter would do it but they dont...

Even when Machabu stood with Canelo the dude looked 2-3 sizes thicker than Canelo. This is kind of medium risk-low reward fight to me. Canelo may get credit for a 5th division (because greedy PBC is adding yet another unnecessary weight class) but this won will do little for his legacy. The legacy is at 175. Beterbiev, Bivol, and Joe Smith have the belts. If Canelo were to unify at 175 now...making him the ONLY fighter to EVER unify 2 divisions...and I believe no other JMW has even won a world title at 175 before...man that would be something.

Unifying at 175 after 168 would put Canelo into those special categories..I mean he still has to DO IT, but that would be his legacy path...not this CW trinket. Nonetheless Canelo is cant miss boxing in my mind

I agree about 175lbs. except that imo Joe Smith Jr. isn't better than any of the top cruiserweights or the people Canelo beat at 168lbs. to unify. His sole value is that he has the WBO title (I don't even think he won his latch match tbh).

To be fair though its hard to see Canelo fighting Machabu as a "feed him to Canelo" scenario.

No, Machabu is not regarded by anyone and is only a champion in this 4+ belt era.

However, Canelo has fought above 168 one time. Thinking he can effortlessly move up to 190-200 is comical. If it was so easy every fighter would do it but they dont...

Even when Machabu stood with Canelo the dude looked 2-3 sizes thicker than Canelo. This is kind of medium risk-low reward fight to me. Canelo may get credit for a 5th division (because greedy PBC is adding yet another unnecessary weight class) but this won will do little for his legacy. The legacy is at 175. Beterbiev, Bivol, and Joe Smith have the belts. If Canelo were to unify at 175 now...making him the ONLY fighter to EVER unify 2 divisions...and I believe no other JMW has even won a world title at 175 before...man that would be something.

Unifying at 175 after 168 would put Canelo into those special categories..I mean he still has to DO IT, but that would be his legacy path...not this CW trinket. Nonetheless Canelo is cant miss boxing in my mind
yeah canelo is by no means a lock against makabu, but he’s damn near impossible to hit at 160, i doubt a 200-pounder with unremarkable hand speed will catch him clean. he’s going to have a massive speed & technical advantage.

that said, makabu will still be the biggest guy canelo has ever been in a pro ring with, by a LOT and will likely be able to take canelo’s power without much problem. makabu handled the power of one of the hardest punchers i’ve ever seen in kudryashov.

i disagree that it’s a low reward fight though. makabu is a legitimate champ likely in the prime of his career, and like you said, this would be uncharted territory for a fighter who cut his teeth at 154. he’s making real history if he wins this fight. i do agree that 175 should be canelo’s ultimate goal though.

Mchunu is stylistically a tougher fight for Canelo. But Makabu has that knockout power and is always in crazy entertaining fights so I don't mind if he wins at all.

He never ruled out a catch weight anywhere in that article. lol at reading comprehension.

It's certainly interesting, but I don't think this will be a cakewalk for Canelo regardless of whether he fights Makabu or Mchunu. The cruiserweight division is somewhat of a backseat passenger in the discourse, with so many different champions and it’s been the least exciting and talked about as of late. If there’s truly a shake-up that’s needed it’s there. You have Arsen Goulamirian in WBA who convincingly defeated Merhy. But then you have Makabu at WBC, Briedis at IBF (and Ring), and Okolie at WBO. Why are these guys not fighting each other? This division needs some serious examination and shake-up.

Back