Major Countries with little to no world champions

Well simply pro boxing is not part of the culture like it is in the rest of the world. That is changing with the interconnectedness that comes with the internet and technology. Now boxing is becoming more popular and most gyms will have a boxing trainer and boxing gyms are becoming more popular and ex amateur stars who were part of the govt sponsored schools are now branching out and doing their own things opening public gyms. And hosting events like gym to gym fights and white collar boxing events etc..

The reason it’s not part of the culture here, is more due to historical reasons. Not saying anything was outright against boxing, but the state ran the media and boxing was never an important part. Bqefore the internet really the only way to get knowledge in Chinese about boxing would have been pretty hard. As a result pro-boxing didn’t have the chance to really get a foothold here like it did in Japan or Korea.

It’s not that boxing is considered negative it’s just that there was other shit going on. And it never had the penetration and proliferation to become the “poor people’s” sport like it did throughout the west.
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense.

france and italy come to mind. at least in recent years.

In France it has definitely become a niche sport. Back in the 80s and the 90s boxing was broadcasted on major networks and there were still a few decent athletes - Fabrice and Christophe Tiozzo, Khalid Rahilou, Jean-Baptiste Mendy, Julien Lorcy among others.

Cable TV took over, with a focus on major US events. The fanbase for pro boxing shrunk, local events became less and less attended, French boxer became journeymen, major promoters threw the towel.

Somehow in the 2000s France got its first Olympic gold since the 30s with Brahim Asloum. In 2006 he sold out a 15000 seat Parisian arena for his first world title bout, but he didn’t become a star. Jean-Marc Mormeck and Bruno Girard had a decent career but never did the same numbers.

With the bunch of medals France got in 2016, the media resumed talking about boxing. Yoka headlines local events and is broadcasted on cable TV. An event in Paris with Michel Soro and Arsen Gulamirian sold 10000 tickets in Paris in november, focusing on big boxing communities (Marocans, Armenians, Gypsies). Provided the biggest names keep on winning, boxing may become fashionable again, but it’s still to be confirmed.

Last edited:
India, China, Pakistan, obviously lots of third world countries. Nigeria has done relatively okay.

Out of developed nations - Germany, France, Italy and Spain aint so hot considering their populations. Theres more Italian-American boxers of note than actual Italian boxers of note lol.

There aren't a lot of Middle-Eastern world champion boxers as a whole.

Im surprised there arent many Slavadorean or Guatemalan boxers

They prefer doing Bodegas lmao, no sike but really when I’ve asked they seem uninterested, soccer is much bigger on them.

Puerto Rico had Emmanuel Rodriguez who had the IBF Bantam title until he lost it to Inoue earlier this year.
@MMALOPEZ is in PR and said its going through a dark period right now in the sport

I think Jeyvier Cintron is getting a shot at a title.

Bangladesh is one of the most populated countries in the world, yet I don't think they've had any world champion boxers.

I can't recall ever hearing about a champion from Madagascar. I guess that's not really a major country though.

In France it has definitely become a niche sport. Back in the 80s and the 90s boxing was broadcasted on major networks and there were still a few decent athletes - Fabrice and Christophe Tiozzo, Khalid Rahilou, Jean-Baptiste Mendy, Julien Lorcy among others.

Cable TV took over, with a focus on major US events. The fanbase for pro boxing shrunk, local events became less and less attended, French boxer became journeymen, major promoters threw the towel.

Somehow in the 2000s France got its first Olympic gold since the 30s with Brahim Asloum. In 2006 he sold out a 15000 seat Parisian arena for his first world title bout, but he didn’t become a star. Jean-Marc Mormeck and Bruno Girard had a decent career but never did the same numbers.

With the bunch of medals France got in 2016, the media resumed talking about boxing. Yoka headlines local events and is broadcasted on cable TV. An event in Paris with Michel Soro and Arsen Gulamirian sold 10000 tickets in Paris in november, focusing on big boxing communities (Marocans, Armenians, Gypsies). Provided the biggest names keep on winning, boxing may become fashionable again, but it’s still to be confirmed.

you guys don’t seem to have a really dominant martial art like we do in Britain with boxing, or kickboxing in Holland? You do seem to have high level fighters across all major disciplines though

you guys don’t seem to have a really dominant martial art like we do in Britain with boxing, or kickboxing in Holland? You do seem to have high level fighters across all major disciplines though

They were p4p #1 in smoking when I was there. Legit impressed with the iron lungs of the French.

Only people I've met who smoke more furiously are small Asian men. They sometimes go the entire day without a single breath of fresh air.

India, China, Pakistan, obviously lots of third world countries. Nigeria has done relatively okay.

Out of developed nations - Germany, France, Italy and Spain aint so hot considering their populations. Theres more Italian-American boxers of note than actual Italian boxers of note lol.

Not sure how big boxing is in Spain? You’d expect Germany to be more successful as it seems very popular there.

Mind you much of Britain’s success in recent years has been down to lottery funding of the gb team. It’s not surprising How many of our recent and current champions have come through the system and been able to be full time salaried boxers at amateur level.

They were p4p #1 in smoking when I was there. Legit impressed with the iron lungs of the French.

Only people I've met who smoke more furiously are small Asian men. They sometimes go the entire day without a single breath of fresh air.

Literally Millions of brits ever year jump on the ferry to France for cheap ciggarettes. I live by a port city about 40 miles from France. That will all be coming to an end with Britain leaving the EU.

They like their weeds as well. Biggest tokkers in Europe.

Doesn’t matter how many people are in the country if no one is boxing.

the inverse would be Cuba, I remember seeing a documentary that said Cuba had 10,000 (amateur) active boxers, meanwhile Boxrec tracks like between 15-20,000 pro boxers during any given year

It puts into perspective the idea that Cuba is just this tiny nation that produces great boxers when in reality they’re pushing out more boxers in general than any other country

Yeah, I guess we’re more into judo and kickboxing. Too bad for me, lol

Did Great Tiger ever win a belt? He's the only Indian boxer I can think of.

there really seems to be a lot of variation even amongst states, region, and neighboring countries like the ones in south america. Must be a lot of real reasons for it, cultural most likely. In the us, washington state hasn't had very many good boxers, i don't think we've got a single all time great, i'm sure it would be the case for many us states. Places that are impoverished, like inner cities, places that may have the facilities (knowledgable, good trainers) would have to be two major factors that have traditionally given us great fighters. I think they could come from anywhere, just like our great musicians and artists but a good environment makes a lot of difference. In seattle, i remember watching how our group of fighters weren't being taught anything and expected to compete with others who were, the results weren't good. so, i'm saying, talent, desire can only do so much, it's several factors. Why china hasn't yet? maybe it just hasn't occurred to a lot of people that getting hit can make them a lot of money. If they had one Manny Pacquiao, that would change everything. So many things are new to mainland china, I knew a lot of chinese people, about my age, who didn't even know who bruce lee was. His films weren't allowed to be shown in communist china, and bruce as a symbol wouldn't have done the government any good. One little guy with a chip on his shoulder could give people ideas. And, I personally believe bruce would have blossomed into more than just an entertainer/fighter, he was smart and would say things about china like, "anyone who lets themselves get exploited is plain stupid" he was right.

the chinese would have to cram a lot of things to do it overnight, I guess it could be done but it's unlikely to happen immediately.

Not sure how big boxing is in Spain? You’d expect Germany to be more successful as it seems very popular there.

Not sure about Spain. It looked like Kerman Lejarraga might have been making some noise until Avanesyan badly derailed him.

Yeah I agree with Germany. Boxing does seem to have enough of a following there that they should be doing better. They've had some semi decent names but for a country of 80+ million the list is underwhelming.

The latest time I quit smoking was 6 years ago. Still hanging on, but that’s tough. I’ll never quit booze.

Mind you much of Britain’s success in recent years has been down to lottery funding of the gb team. It’s not surprising How many of our recent and current champions have come through the system and been able to be full time salaried boxers at amateur level.
Kiko Martinez was a champ for a minute. Spain seems to always have one guy in the mix
Jurgen Brahmer from Germany was a LHW Champ for awhile a few years back.

Back