Maintaining stance and composure - not spazzing out

Formless

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey all,

See topic, pretty simple. Lots of people flinch or spaz out and don't know it, this goes over why it's bad and what to do.

Let me know what you guys think. There's also a video about padholding on the channel - not sure if that should be this thread.

That is very useful. I have been talking about this the past weak. My first aha moment.
However my sport is boxing and standing still is not really tolerated as it is in MT. This is one of the reasons I dont like MT btw - too static.
But the principles of solid stance, balance, body positioning, hand and leg positioning remains the same.

Thanks for posting. This is super useful and can be applied to all stand up fighting.

However my sport is boxing and standing still is not really tolerated as it is in MT. This is one of the reasons I dont like MT btw - too static.
But the principles of solid stance, balance, body positioning, hand and leg positioning remains the same.

More of the judging and dynamics favoring being a walk down fighter. But really its an open striking ruleset, so you're free to do what you want in terms of angles, footwork, etc. if it helps win your fights

More of the judging and dynamics favoring being a walk down fighter. But really its an open striking ruleset, so you're free to do what you want in terms of angles, footwork, etc. if it helps win your fights
Ye I figured it is something with judging that produces such kind of fights and fight styles. It just looks weird to me.

Ye I figured it is something with judging that produces such kind of fights and fight styles. It just looks weird to me.
Stepping back even if you light the guy up while on the ropes has you loosing on ring control, and some judges will see the other guy being aggressive on the offesnse, having ringmanship while you're losing 2/3 criterias (aggr + RC)

Hey all,

See topic, pretty simple. Lots of people flinch or spaz out and don't know it, this goes over why it's bad and what to do.

Let me know what you guys think. There's also a video about padholding on the channel - not sure if that should be this thread.

Is this at @Ryukyu Damashi gym?

Hey all,

It makes no sense to me to stand like a tree.

dont know anything about the guy in the video but i will say that fairfax jui jitsu is a good gym with a good coach

@Ryukyu Damashi

It makes no sense to me to stand like a tree.
Then you will never learn to counter or defend in the pocket and return. You don’t necessarily have to be that stationary, but the point is to not back up when being attacked for beginners

I do not practice MT or KB, I train in boxing (Queensberry). Watching his video, I noticed three things immediately that could be of concern:

1) He was backing up from the opponent. He did not attempt any lateral movement. Fighting off the back foot is difficult, especially when you're not comfortable. Again, I don't know how it is in MT, but use the angles.....circle out don't go directly backwards for too long.

2) He took his eyes off of his opponent. Never do that. It's hard to train that flinch reflex out of yourself unless you practice. It's a natural response to the body perceiving a threat, and attempting to protect itself from an impact. Keep your eyes open. Think about your eyes being open, force them to be wide eyed so you can see the punches/strikes.

3) Accept the fact that you're going to get hit, and don't anticipate it. Whenever I tell myself "he can't hurt me" I go in there a little more confident, and loose and I do better.

Practice, practice, practice. Get comfortable. That is my view on what I saw.

Back