1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Maintaining Carbon steel.

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by SamuraiRat, Jul 26, 2010.

1. SamuraiRat

SamuraiRat Orange Belt

There are countless survival knives that come in carbon steel, however i read how carbon steel rusts pretty bad.

Any advice for maintaining a carbon steel blade?

Also how's D2 steel? Since it's still kind of a stainless steel, is it as likely to shatter like stainless steel?

2. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

Are these expensive knives? Like over $100.00 Cause there's a lot of cheap knives, that you could buy and just not worry about one way or the other?

3. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

For my 1095 blade, I periodically spray and wipe it down with some WD40 and call it a day. I've also heard that small amounts of baby oil works too, but I've never tried it. I've only had one instance of surface rust near the edge, but after a few passes on the whetstone, it disappeared.

4. quatin

quatin Green Belt

You need to use a metal polish. It leaves a thin coating on the steel after you use it. Use a cotton cloth, rub it in, rinse with water and let it dry.

What do you mean by shattering? Carbon steel is much harder than stainless steel, so if you're worried about chipping the blade, carbon steel is more susceptible to it than stainless.