Maintain strength and cut...

pottro563

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I decided that, since I have some recovery time after surgery, this would be as good of time as ever to start a cut. I have never really taken a diet serious and have always just upped my volume/intensity if I was trying to lose weight.

This time I am going to follow CarbNite, and try to get down to 200-205lbs from 230 lbs. Now I know I wont be able to maintain all strength, but what I am wondering is if there is a training that is better suited for a cut. I am still on Sheiko, but I am taking it easy until I have full shoulder ROM. I am worried that with the lower carb intake I will not be able to train the same and I will hit walls with my lifts. I expect my lifts to get tough, but I do not want to completely plummet.

Do you think it is possible to cut fat and maintain strength or even get stronger?

I've been following the Anabolic Diet and haven't noticed any significant decrease in strength. I have no idea what Carb Nite is, but apparently it's similar to the AD so as long as your calories are high you should be fine.

For the past few weeks I've been very loosely following ol' Keifer buddy's CBL shenanigans.

I say "loosely" because I didn't do the 10 day no carb pre-period and I haven't read every last word in the material. So, I'm sure I'm missing some things. I'll get to it, I'm just busy. And lazy.

Anywho every day, training or no, my first meal is about the same. Some eggs, an avacado, and kale chips. The second meal being a bigger version of that but with beef and almonds on non training days. On training days the second meal is obviously as many carbs as I can get in over a short amount of time.

That being said I haven't really experienced a lack of energy for training on the days after these low-carb days. Maybe a little in the first week but nothing some coffee didn't take care of.

For the past few weeks I've been very loosely following ol' Keifer buddy's CBL shenanigans.

I say "loosely" because I didn't do the 10 day no carb pre-period and I haven't read every last word in the material. So, I'm sure I'm missing some things. I'll get to it, I'm just busy. And lazy.

Anywho every day, training or no, my first meal is about the same. Some eggs, an avacado, and kale chips. The second meal being a bigger version of that but with beef and almonds on non training days. On training days the second meal is obviously as many carbs as I can get in over a short amount of time.

That being said I haven't really experienced a lack of energy for training on the days after these low-carb days. Maybe a little in the first week but nothing some coffee didn't take care of.

I am in my 9 day no/low carb reorientation right now. CarbNite is the first version of backloading. Backloading is not a cut. I have heard great things about both though. What kind of meals/snacks are you eating. I have been pretty much living on pork rinds, meat, string cheese, and pepperonis.

Eggs are your friend. I eat a minimum of 6 a day. 6 eggs + 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cheese + 1/2lb ground beef/bison = 1014 tasty calories. There are many low/no carb recipe forums and a bunch of Anabolic Diet threads throughout the interwebz that have tons of suggestions.

Hardest part of lo-carb imo is variation in food preparation. Look around and be creative.

I would recommend looking at the nutrition sub forum's faq, it should give you a lot of insight in to things. But to answer your question more directly, make sure you program your diet so you arnt losing more than .5~1 lb a week.

Back