Maia's goal to retire with the most submissions in UFC history; do you think he will?

Helmut Zemo

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He has 7 right now. Guys ahead of him:

Royce Gracie - 11
Frank Mir - 8
Nate Diaz - 8

Florian has 8, but one of them was submission due to punches. Lauzon also has 7.

brains.gif

2nbrjmf.gif

HideousNeedyBichonfrise.gif

ZD1Odf1.gif

Nah, he won't make it there.

If they give him the right opponents, it's possible.

If he continues to fight high level guys honestly I don't think he will, submitting anyone in the top ten or top five is no easy task.

It would be cool to see, we'll have to wait and find out. Sometimes Maia seems content with winning by decision.

Depends on how much longer he plans on fighting. My gut says he retires with 10.

They say he's a nice guy, who wants to do as little damage as possible to his opponents, so don't be surprised if all his future wins are by chokes.

I'd be surprised if he breaks the record. Cool stat to follow tho.

So he needs 5 more to get to 12. I think he's got a good shot, he's certainly in no position to get cut since he's on a 3 fight win streak. He wont sub everyone he fights but he's gonna need another 8-10 fights to do it

No way. He couldn't submit Yakovlev or LaFlare & he had mount on both several times. Incredibly frustrating to watch.

He could, but only if he continues fighting one dimensional strikers. Give him Thatch!

Love Maia but i think 25 year Charles Oliveira has something to say about that. Da Bronx is at 7 right now...

Charles-Oliveira-Calf-Crushers-Eric-Wisely-UFC-on-Fox-2.gif

Charles+Oliveira+Guillotine+Chokes+Hatsu+Hioki+UFC+Fight+Night+Auckland.gif

Charles%2BOliveira%2BSubmits%2BNik%2BLentz%2Bby%2BGuillotine%2BChoke%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B67.gif

That calf slicer from Charles Oliveira is very impressive. Your right he may go down as the all time submission leader when its all said and done.

That calf slicer from Charles Oliveira is very impressive. Your right he may go down as the all time submission leader when its all said and done.

I think it's possible. Charles has age on his side, plus i think he's much more aggressive with going for submissions vs Maia, who seems content at times just winning through control and not risking losing position.

I dont think so but he is only 4 wins away from tying the most in UFC history. I think that is a more realistic goal

only if you can stop the take down or can defend on the ground.

he beat up lower level fighters because they couldn't stop the take down

mir_bf.jpg

Two more submissions to pass Frank Mir? I doubt it. Would be cool though if he did.

Back