Maia's Farewell Bout

Shinya Aoki in Rizin. They both fight WW. Make it happen Japanese Goof.

Hoping to see Maia in some of the grappling only events we see on Fight Pass. Full time coaching might be a good avenue for him as well.
would love for him to get a bilingual "grappling xpert" gig for the UFC

Aoki is the obvious choice in One. Maia has one more fight on his UFC contract but Dana would release him.

would love for him to get a bilingual "grappling xpert" gig for the UFC
That would be pretty awesome. Especially considering all the instructional videos he's done over his career. Already has a good chunk of experience breaking down BJJ for others :D.

I was kinda disappointed he even asked for that

His previous fight was his last one, there's no world where they put him against Diaz

Just bow out gracefully, and move on

Matt Brown, Jacare, Tony Ferguson, Diego, Cerrone, Nick Diaz, Condit pt.2, Kevin Lee, the Gracie that fights at 155, Ryan Hall, Mike Perry.

They should of given him a winneable older fighter for his last fight like Condit or Matt Brown. Hell even someone like Court McGee or Dhiego Lima would of been better

Guys,

just so there are no misunderstandings. The only reason demian mentioned a bout with Nate diaz as his last bout, IF the UFC wanted it, it’s because Nate himself said in the post fight press conference he would like to fight Demian, and it was clearly out of respect, which is mutual.

now do I think it’ll happen, and the UFC would be interested?
No, I don’t. I think it’s extremely unlikely and had Diaz not manifested it, we would never had done it too.

Either way, Demian is going to be working as a cornerman on tbe 26th, and life goes on. It was a bad night, I know he could have performed better based on how he trained, but time comes to everyone. Even if another fight happen, it would be one more against someone with veteran status and that’s it. If it doesn’t happen, which is the more probable scenario, no hard feelings and life moves on for everybody. No reason for any shame, it was a great career.

as for Aoki, ir never really occurred to us, and honestly Demian didn’t want to fight elsewhere as he sees himself as a UFC fighter and wanted to retire like that, hopefully moving to rhe HOF.

But as this was his last fight on his ufc contract, ir Rizin is interested they can talk to us and we will consider it like we would consider any offer that makes sense. However a scenario where Demian wants to fight anywhere else is not likely. He has a lot respect for the UFC…

Last edited:
Guys,

just so there are no misunderstandings. The only reason demian mentioned a bout with Nate diaz as his last bout, IF the UFC wanted it, it’s because Nate himself said in the post fight press conference he would like to fight Demian, and it was clearly out of respect, which is mutual.

now do I think it’ll happen, and the UFC would be interested?
No, I don’t. I think it’s extremely unlikely and had Diaz not manifested it, we would never had done it too.

Either way, Demian is going to be working as a cornerman on tbe 26th, and life goes on. It was a bad night, I know he could have performed better based on how he trained, but time comes to everyone. Even if another fight happen, it would be one more against someone with veteran status and that’s it. If it doesn’t happen, which is the more probable scenario, no hard feelings and life moves on for everybody. No reason for any shame, it was a great career.

mas for Aoki, ir never really occurred to us, and honestly Demian didn’t want to fight elsewhere as he sees himself as a UFC fighter and wanted to retire like that, hopefully moving to rhe HOF.

But as this was his last fight on his ufc contract, ir Rizin is interested they can talk to us and we will consider it like we would consider any offer that makes sense. However a scenario where Demian wants to fight anywhere else is not likely. He has a lot respect for the UFC…
A final fight in Brasil against a reasonable opponent makes sense.

I would have loved to see him fight Jacare at 185, but if not, maybe Donald Cerrone would be game at 170.

Either way, Maia is a man's man and if this was his last ride, it was an honor to watch him. Best BJJ we've ever seen in the UFC.

Back