*Maia's cardio could be the deciding factor against Askren?*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
Askren could win the decision by beating and controling Maia on the late rounds?

Maia's been in plenty of fights that went the distance.

Maybe he doesn't have the best cardio in the world, but I don't think it is a huge liability.

Maybe he doesn't have the best cardio in the world, but I don't think it is a huge liability.
It should be competitive so long as he doesn't look the way he did in the LaFlare fight.

Maia by KO early second round.

This isn't the 33-year old beast Maia who beat Fitch and had a 5-round grappling war with Jake Shields. He's visibly slowed down and his cardio is clearly not the same.

This fight will consist of Askren laying on top of Maia for 3 rounds and winning a decision..

Askren by flying knee in the first 2 seconds of the fight. He doesn't know where he got this idea from, but he wants to try it.

i disagree. most decisions hes lost is because he got tired. hes only been beaten up like twice three times maybe. anderson, woodley, colby.

his other loses maia has won the first round handily before gassing. he boxed colby up in round 1 as well.

Last edited:
I think Maia won't gas as much because he won't be the one pursuing takedowns. But I see him getting controlled a-la Shields.

Unfortunately, this is the most likely outcome, IMO. Of course, what I am really wishing for, is for Maia to embarrass Askren in those first 10 or so minutes during which he's effective.

This fight will consist of Askren laying on top of Maia for 3 rounds and winning a decision..
This is a very likely scenario, but Maia says he’s focused more on his ground game. I’d love to see him pull off something sneaky!

Maia by submission.....I feel he will be motivated and pull it off

I'm saying it here FIRST. Maia submits Askren with the same bulldog choke Askren used on Robbie.

Mia will likely try to keep the fight standing--betting that his horrible standup is still way better than Askrens.

going to the ground with Askren isn't a winning strategy for anybody.

I don't see Maia winning this fight. If he was a bit younger I'd say it'd be to 50/50 but Maia has looked like a diminished version of himself lately. Particularly after the first round when he starts to tire rapidly. I think Askren will be able to get top position and control enough to win. Maia is not a huge threat from his back. He needs to get on top to make his BJJ game work. His wrestling will not be good enough to stop Askren's takedowns and certainly not good enough to take Ben down. His striking not good enough to hurt Ben before he ends up on his back.

Back