Maia vs Gunnar Nelson

wookie brawl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Apologies if it's a re-hashed topic, but an interesting match up nonetheless. I think Maia mauls Nelson on the ground but starting on the feet, Nelson has the advantage by having a better stand up or to put it in a better phrase: a more "creative" attack.

An aging master grappler vs a young cerebral fighter with excellent grappling, who takes it?

I'd love to see it. Still think Maia has an edge on the ground. Nelson might be a prodigy of sorts, but Maia is simply one of the all-time best BJJ players to compete in MMA.

would love to see this. a great test for Gunnar's ground game, though he has the edge on the feet.

id say Gunnar takes it though.

It's a logical matchup but as a fan of Gunnar I really don't want him to fight Maia. I really don't feel confident against Maia.

Maia would by no means maul Gunnar on the ground. He would probably have an edge, but Gunnar is skilled enough to defend himself if Maia opts to not use strikes except to get positions and submissions.

Size would be a pretty big factor here I think

If Gunnar can stay on his feet he should dominate this fight. His Jiu Jitsu will be tested but I think that he is good enough defensively to survive defensively. Gunnars wrestling is his biggest weakness as seen in the Rick Story fight but im sure that he is working on that part of his game. Gunnar is too skilled on the feet, I think this is a great matchup for him.

That would be an awesome fight, or even a good No-gi match at an expo.

It's a logical matchup but as a fan of Gunnar I really don't want him to fight Maia. I really don't feel confident against Maia.

I know that feel bro. Maia is a high-level gate-keeper, not to be taken lightly.

If Gunnar can stay on his feet he should dominate this fight. His Jiu Jitsu will be tested but I think that he is good enough defensively to survive defensively. Gunnars wrestling is his biggest weakness as seen in the Rick Story fight but im sure that he is working on that part of his game. Gunnar is too skilled on the feet, I think this is a great matchup for him.

Maia man handled LaFlare, a state wrestling champ, Gunnar won't be too much of a problem. Maia's problem is his gas tank. Gunnar will give him problems on the feet but it won't be good enough to stop Maia.

Gunny has a nice sub game, but Maia's overall BJJ is on a complete other level. I dont think Nelson wins 1 minute of this fight.

Gunnar would be tooled like Magny and others were before him, but only of it gets to the ground.

I see Gunnar keeping the fight standing most of the time and winning by UD.

gunnar should train his sprawls if this was to happen. even if his bjj is elite, maia is simply on another level. heck if he was dominating rory before he gassed.

Solid matchup! I gotta go with maia though.I think there is only a small number of guys that can take him at 170

Back