Maia needs to face a striker before GSP

brazilianblood

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
maia only faced grapplers at WW, i see some people saying he deserves GSP if he beats Shields...
he needs to face guys like condit, kampmann, ellenburger, even rory... his striking needs to be tested before fighting a guy like georges

2zhdxdz.jpg

Couldn't find a better one but he did catch Anderson a few times

There really arent any pure strikers at WW anymore.....Alves was about it.

maia only faced grapplers at WW, i see some people saying he deserves GSP if he beats Shields...
he needs to face guys like condit, kampmann, ellenburger, even rory... his striking needs to be tested before fighting a guy like georges

Wasn't he tested before his first UFC title fight?

If Maia was an up and comer, I would agree. But he's 34 and is a known entity at this point. If GSP retains his title, then we're back to a game of "find a warm body to throw against GSP that we can build a promo around". Maia fits that easily enough.

I would also like to see Maia against a striker, that is why the koscheck match up was intriguing, Koscheck is not a great striker but he has enough technique and power to pose problems for Maia.

Couldn't find a better one but he did catch Anderson a few times

Yup, he had his moments on the last couple rounds.

Anyway, i don't think there will be anybody else to fight GSP if he beats Hendricks, so i'm okay with Maia getting the title shot if he wins.
In case GSP gets injured, or Hendricks wins (instant rematch), Maia should face the winner of Lawler/Rory.

The fact that Maia has been able to impose his game on multiple high level grapplers tells me that there are very few WW's that would be able to stop him from doing the same. If he wins, have him fight the winner of Rory/Lawler.

You have to understand that WW is dominated by wrestling primarily. The best fighters are wrestlers. That being said? If you found a guy who could strike that's not necessarily a test if he can't stay on his feet and Maia dominates him on the ground.

Maia has some pretty damn good technical takedowns. He took down Jon Fitch a Div-1 wrestler multiple times.

If you have excellent wrestling and striking is that a good combination to beat Maia? Yes ... then again its an excellent combination versus anything.

That's a first. Every time I hear "_________ needs to face a _________ before he fights GSP" it's not striker that goes into that second blank.

This will likely sound crazy but he has fought prior to the Welterweight division. This isn't some newcomer that's fought 6 times in his career.

Nick Diaz / Maia is a great matchup if he ever comes back

If he's outgrappling grapplers, what makes you think he wouldn't outgrapple strikers? Its not like you can force him to stand with them to "test" his striking.

Back