Maia is in no way a threat to Khamzat

Maia's best days are way behind him now. Khamzat will eat him up in 2020.

Maia is in no way a threat to Khamzat

Precisely why Daner White wants to make this fight.

618410607175270420.png

Maia is a top welter and super legit at 42 years old. That is insane. That said, he is being sent to the slaughter house going against ChimaGOAT. Bring in Colby or Usman already.

Old Maia is kinda washed and chinny...Prime K1 Maia, drops Kamzat from a Thai clinch with knees and finishes him however he wants on the ground.

Did prime Maia ever drop anyone?

Yes, this is a fight to make, not fucking 43 year old Maia.

Ridiculous. This dude already smoked 3 random dudes, no need for any more warmup fights. Let's see a real matchup, Perry or Gastelum. Both are WW/MW just like Hazmat.

Perry isn't even ranked, Maia is 7th.

I'd like to see him fight Perry.

Not the worst of ideas..

I don't see how he deserves a ranked opponent but perry still holds name value somehow.. probably a good build up, perry is hard to finish and has heavy hands..

It would keep the train rolling but would still make some kind of sense..

Reactions: lsa
Well Khamzat said his goal was to choke Maia out which make the fight way more interesting

I suspect this is Borz laying a false trail. I'm sure he'll talk a lot about engaging with him on the ground and submitting him to retire the guy and take his Black Belt or whatever. He's clearly confident and his grappling credentials are unquestionable, but Maia is still dangerous on the ground and I don't know if he would want that smoke when there's a much easier route to victory: effortlessly stuffing Demian's takedowns, winning the standup, and then cracking his jaw.

That said, if Chimaev does willingly engage with Maia on the ground and wins the fight there -- much less by submission -- then his stock goes through the roof, despite Demian's age.

If Maia can't get a takedown he's going to take a drubbing like he did against Colby.

Agreed, I’d love to watch Maia get knocked out cold.

Never count Maia out, but that being said, as I like him, I don’t want to see him there vs. Chimaev.
It’s a pointless fight, either old Maia will be a stepping stone for a young gun, or in the possibility Maia pull the upset, what does it do for him in his last fight? It’s not like he’s getting a title shot from that.

Perry isn't even ranked, Maia is 7th.
Perry doesn't need to be ranked, nor does he need a training camp.

Khamzat sleeps in the gym, Perry doesn't even have a gym.

That's the fight to make!

This isn't the first time people have counted Maia out. I guess you're only as good as you're last fight. Sherdog going to sherdog

I suspect this is Borz laying a false trail. I'm sure he'll talk a lot about engaging with him on the ground and submitting him to retire the guy and take his Black Belt or whatever. He's clearly confident and his grappling credentials are unquestionable, but Maia is still dangerous on the ground and I don't know if he would want that smoke when there's a much easier route to victory: effortlessly stuffing Demian's takedowns, winning the standup, and then cracking his jaw.

That said, if Chimaev does willingly engage with Maia on the ground and wins the fight there -- much less by submission -- then his stock goes through the roof, despite Demian's age.

"Effortlessly stuffing Maia's takedowns and cracking Maia's jaw"......nobody does that effortlessly. Burns had the best performance against Maia, and even he got taken down. Everybody else who beat Maia fought him scared as fuck and had boring safe decisions against him except Marquardt like 12 years ago

Last edited:
"Effortlessly stuffing Maia's takedowns and cracking Maia's jaw"......nobody does that effortlessly. Burns had the best performance against Maia, and even he got taken down. Everybody else who fought Maia fought him scared as fuck and had boring safe decisions against him except Marquardt like 12 years ago

Burns is also significantly smaller than Chimaev and doesn't have the same wrestling pedigree. Refining his wrestling skillset to the level it's at now and working into his overall game to bring it all together is a fairly recent development.

Maia would be considered old and well out of his prime even if he was a Heavyweight at his age and with the number of fights he's had. I'm not saying he poses zero threat to Khamzat or that the result is an entirely foregone conclusion, but I don't see him being able to wrestle or strike with him with the kind of success he needs.

Burns is also significantly smaller than Chimaev and doesn't have the same wrestling pedigree. Refining his wrestling skillset to the level it's at now and working it into his overall game is a fairly recent development.

Maia would be considered old and well out of his prime even if he was a Heavyweight at his age and with the number of fights he's had. I'm not saying he poses zero threat to Khamzat or that the result is an entirely foregone conclusion, but I don't see him being able to wrestle or strike with him with the kind of success he needs.

I'm just saying nobody has really done what you suggested effortlessly, and we've also never seen chimaev work a sprawl and brawl strategy.

if chimaev beats Maia, then I'll believe the hype. right now, I put him in the same category as where Johnny walker was 2 years ago. looked great making quick work of lower tier fighters.

Back