Magomed Magomedov vs Matheus Mattos Set For Bellator 254

CC27

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/11/bellator-254-news-magomed-magomedov-vs-matheus-mattos-booking

UNCASVILLE, Conn. – Former ACB bantamweight champion Magomed Magomedov has a date, opponent, and location for his Bellator debut.

At Bellator 254 on Dec. 10, Magomedov (16-1 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) will make his first promotional appearance against a fellow former ACB title challenger, Matheus Mattos. The main-card fight will take place at Mohegan Sun Arena.

Additionally, a featherweight fight between Marina Mokhnatkina (4-2 MMA, 0-1 BMMA) and Jessica Borga (3-2 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) has been added to the card.

A promotion official confirmed the bookings to MMA Junkie on Tuesday after initial reports by Russian news agency TASS.

Magomedov (16-1 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) is the only man to hold a win over current UFC bantamweight champion Petr Yan. The two Russians have fought twice, with each emerging victorious once.

After beating Yan by split decision at ACB 32 in March 2016, Magomedov lost a rematch by split decision at ACB 57 in April 2017.

Since his rematch loss, Magomedov, 28, has only competed three times, winning all three fights. Of 16 pro victories, Magomedov has finished 11.

Mattos (12-1-1 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) is a member of the Pitbull Brothers’ gym and has competed for the ACB bantamweight championship. Like Magomedov, his only professional loss came at the hands of Petr Yan. Ten of Mattos’ pro victories have come inside the distance.

With the additions, the Bellator 254 lineup includes:

• Ilima-Lei Macfarlane vs. Juliana Velasquez – for Bellator flyweight title
  • Magomed Magomedov vs. Matheus Mattos
  • Jessica Borga vs. Marina Mokhnatkina

I like it, good matchmaking here.

Along with Lee vs Stots, though I would have given Stots a higher guy up the ladder but its a good start. Now Juan/pettis should be booked and then get Higo, Mix, Gallagher, Johns, Hill fights against each other and the div is in good shape and on track.

Along with Lee vs Stots, though I would have given Stots a higher guy up the ladder but its a good start. Now Juan/pettis should be booked and then get Higo, Mix, Gallagher, Johns, Hill fights against each other and the div is in good shape and on track.
Lee vs Stots is happening on 253

Weird choice but should be a good one

I wish they werent fighting each other so quick but this is an awesome match up. I was hoping to see Mattos and Magomedov take on Stots, Hill, Perez, Miesch, or something along those lines to build them up but I see they are fighting each other immediately. That BW division is going to be on fire!

Last edited:

I think Juan/Pettis for the title should be next, followed by Horiguchi/Asakura winner. From there are are whole bunch of guys who will be out for blood in the BW division. I think the BW division worldwide is the most staked division.
I'm still waiting to see whats up with Nikita Mikhailov, he is another Team Fedor guy who signed at the beginning of the year but has yet to made his Bellator debut. If he is in the same line as Nemkov, Tokov, Moldovsky, and Lil Tokov, he should be another good addition.

Last edited:
Good debut for Magomed Magomedov, if he manage to beat him.

Huh. Both former ACB fighters, both have only loss from Yan, but fight each other in Bellator. Weird, but I really like that fight.

Back