Magic: The Gathering (MTG: Arena Beta is out now on PC)

what is the M13 label for? (I haven't played for 15 years or so)
That i i believe is when coresets were per year so that set is from 2013, coresets are reprint sets not part of main sets in order to get reprints into standard. Ex 4th edituon is a core set and tempest, exodus and i forgot the other are main set expansions

Anyone had a look at the spoilers for the next set?

Early thoughts? I'm not really a fan of the new mechanics thus far

Anyone had a look at the spoilers for the next set?

Early thoughts? I'm not really a fan of the new mechanics thus far
I’m super excited for it. Standard is very diverse right now and there will be a bunch of new playable decks. Lots of 3 color decks be viable.

I’m super excited for it. Standard is very diverse right now and there will be a bunch of new playable decks. Lots of 3 color decks be viable.
Jundish builds and rakdos builds should be boosted with the new removal spell that was printed ( Bedevil I think is what it was called) Plus all 10 duals wil be in the format and with hallowed fountain coming in standard I expect teferi PW to jump in value again.

Jundish builds and rakdos builds should be boosted with the new removal spell that was printed ( Bedevil I think is what it was called) Plus all 10 duals wil be in the format and with hallowed fountain coming in standard I expect teferi PW to jump in value again.

The deck I've been playing is esper control. Looking at the likes of Hareruya and mtggoldfish, it ain't even in the meta right now :-(

Aorious should turn that around. And Mortify

Normally, if you have a particular deck in mind, you'd buy singles instead of boosters. Boosters can supplement a card base or serve as the foundation for a deck, but you're almost certainly going to have to buy singles to do what you're going to want to do.

If a single gets high level play in the constructed formats, it tends to affect the price. Most cards are a pittance (Less than a dollar), but certain lynchpin cards can really test your budget. I'm building a deck that is ~$1100, but the majority of the value is in Cavern of Souls (4 @ $72.00), Mutavault (4 @ $12.99), and Aether Vial (4 @ $39.99). Granted, this is for an extremely specific deck archetype that's tournament legal. It's going to be overkill for any casual games I play. There are budget decks (Less than $100) that would suit most people perfectly fine.

I play legacy with some of my older decks, but I don't expect to win anything. It's a fun format if you don't mind losing or if you're rich. Modern is good enough for any kind of competitive play to me. You can be viable with less substantial investments.

It has been years since I have played MTG, but I used to make some effective budget decks using low cost common and uncommon flying creatures. They were either black and white or black and red decks and I would use Pillory of the Sleepless and Faith's Fetters to restrain the other player's creatures. I often beat players before they could even get started with anything.

Image.ashx

blind-hunter-2269-medium.jpg

Image.ashx

faiths-fetters-7137-medium.jpg

castigate-17455-medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been years since I have played MTG, but I used to make some effective budget decks using low cost common and uncommon flying creatures. They were either black and white or black and red decks and I would use Pillory of the Sleepless and Faith's Fetters to restrain the other player's creatures. I often beat players before they could even get started with anything.

Image.ashx

blind-hunter-2269-medium.jpg

Image.ashx

faiths-fetters-7137-medium.jpg

castigate-17455-medium.jpg

There's currently a pauper event on MTG Arena

TTT

Anyone been playing since release of Allegiance? I haven't played anywhere near as much in the last few weeks.

Trying to upgrade old Esper Control but lately (like last 4 days lol) been jamming the new izzet drakes deck with Pteradons. So much easier to grind with these aggro decks lol

TTT

Anyone been playing since release of Allegiance? I haven't played anywhere near as much in the last few weeks.

Trying to upgrade old Esper Control but lately (like last 4 days lol) been jamming the new izzet drakes deck with Pteradons. So much easier to grind with these aggro decks lol
I still play daily. Been saving up coins to do draft. When RNA dropped I had about 40k coins, which I dropped all on packs. Since then, it's been Drafts and dailies. Il probably do two more drafts to finish this season out and then start saving all my coins for War of the Spark when it drops.

Sitting at Plat2 in constructed and bronze2 in Limited (I suck at drafting but building my collection is great). I don't know if I wanna make a push to diamond or not.

Give Mono Red a shot. Great for grinding Bronze through Gold. Mono blue tempo is another cheap great deck to use

I keep forgetting about this game. I got a key to be in the beta awhile back, but lost it I think. Is it open beta yet?

Is it expensive to start up and get going? I played so much MTG back in the day. Im somewhat cautious to get involved again, lol.

I still play daily. Been saving up coins to do draft. When RNA dropped I had about 40k coins, which I dropped all on packs. Since then, it's been Drafts and dailies. Il probably do two more drafts to finish this season out and then start saving all my coins for War of the Spark when it drops.

Sitting at Plat2 in constructed and bronze2 in Limited (I suck at drafting but building my collection is great). I don't know if I wanna make a push to diamond or not.

Give Mono Red a shot. Great for grinding Bronze through Gold. Mono blue tempo is another cheap great deck to use

I'm still gold :-(. Can't move up and it's frustrating. I haven't played as much as I would like. Have 50k in coins. Want to make my favourite esper control but short on wildcards. Just been jamming izzet drakes. So much fun. I lol'ed the one time I played vs mill

I keep forgetting about this game. I got a key to be in the beta awhile back, but lost it I think. Is it open beta yet?

Is it expensive to start up and get going? I played so much MTG back in the day. Im somewhat cautious to get involved again, lol.
Being f2p is viable, but slower. I've spent something like $25. The $5 welcome bundle is definitely worth it. You get three free packs a week for getting 15 wins. It's doable and there's plenty of guides and articles on how to be successful being f2p.

man, i played hearthstone hardcore for a while but it just has stopped to be fun so ill try this out, you guys have more fun in this game than playing hearthstone right?

man, i played hearthstone hardcore for a while but it just has stopped to be fun so ill try this out, you guys have more fun in this game than playing hearthstone right?

Never played a single game of Heartstone, ever so I can't speak for others

I enjoy it. But that could be more because I grew up playing MtG. There's plenty to do. You have dailies, draft events, most weekends there's an event if some sort. Pauper, Singleton, rotating events. There's plenty to do.

Haven't checked out the top 8 results, but very interesting that a very cheap deck in mono blue had two decks make it into the top 8.

And no Sultai midrage despite the fact that it had the highest percentage of registered decks

Quite torn right now. LSV playing in a semi. I want him to play, but Ikawa ia playing Esper Control which is what I like to jam right now

It's crazy that a budget mono blue deck managed to take the trophy in the first Mythic Championship.

I expect a bunch if people to be piloting it in arena today (mono blue got me out if gold).

Made it to Diamond with mono red burn. I'm going to leave it there for this season and then push on next season

Haven't checked out the top 8 results, but very interesting that a very cheap deck in mono blue had two decks make it into the top 8.

And no Sultai midrage despite the fact that it had the highest percentage of registered decks
Mono blue, gruul aggro, sultai Nexus, izzet were the main showers

It's crazy that a budget mono blue deck managed to take the trophy in the first Mythic Championship.

I expect a bunch if people to be piloting it in arena today (mono blue got me out if gold).

Made it to Diamond with mono red burn. I'm going to leave it there for this season and then push on next season

I know! I played against mono blue in GRN on Arena... On the play, it just beat the crap out of my control deck. On the draw though I probably had the slight edge. If I didn't have answers early, I needed to dig for a ritual of soot back then (so I'd better have a search for azcanta on the battlefield already)

I just refuse to play mono red. I'm trying to hopefully get it up another step but I think I'm going to run out of time.

Back