Magic: The Gathering (MTG: Arena Beta is out now on PC)

I think the new game only needs dual core, but I want to get a new laptop also my current one is so slow, cant even play command and conquer 3 on low settings lolz.

My laptop is about 7 odd years old. I hardly use it day to day. Until I got addicted to Arena in the last 3 odd months

Fellow MTG nerds!!! I'm going live playing Arena in case anyone wants to hang out

Ar you guys FUCKING HYPE for ULTIMATE MASTERS?!!?!?!?!?!?
Too expensive for me to go out and get a box but Ill tey and do a draft. It has a ton of cards I could use for my cube.

I played it back when I was young, in 1993 or so when it was just hitting 4th edition and stopped around Mirage. I had a few cards from older releases but none of any real significant value. Sadly whatever I had is long since gone.

I watch a few Youtubers playing draft once in a while but I simply don't have the budget or patience to play it nowadays.

I used to play Magic on the side of my main game, SWCCG (star wars customizable card game), which I was a grandmaster (2000+ ELO), back to back state champ and top 100 in the world... Then WOTC acquired the license to make star wars card games and made their own (absolute garbage) star wars game and I retired. I still have a bunch of my MTG cards, and I've owned some incredibly expensive cards that I (unfortunately) sold around 01' (Mox pearl, Time Walk, Candelabra of Tawnos, to name a few)... most of the valuable cards I still have fall in the 10-100$ range at best, merely due to the age and time period I played.

Despite having not played for around 15 years, a guy at my last job talked about how awesome he was at magic and when I mentioned I used to play, he told me how he would own me... I told him to bring his cards in. We played a few games on a slow work day, and I handed him his ass with his own decks 5 out of 6 games with cards and abilities I had never seen, and was learning as I was drawing them. It had to have been extra embarrassing losing to someone that's asking "what does this do?"

Too expensive for me to go out and get a box but Ill tey and do a draft. It has a ton of cards I could use for my cube.

The cost of the box is disgusting... At the end of the day, this is a card game.

I need and want a couple of the cards as well. But I ain't playing the booster box lottery... Making modern staples more accessible... yeah, right!

I used to play Magic on the side of my main game, SWCCG (star wars customizable card game), which I was a grandmaster (2000+ ELO), back to back state champ and top 100 in the world... Then WOTC acquired the license to make star wars card games and made their own (absolute garbage) star wars game and I retired. I still have a bunch of my MTG cards, and I've owned some incredibly expensive cards that I (unfortunately) sold around 01' (Mox pearl, Time Walk, Candelabra of Tawnos, to name a few)... most of the valuable cards I still have fall in the 10-100$ range at best, merely due to the age and time period I played.

Despite having not played for around 15 years, a guy at my last job talked about how awesome he was at magic and when I mentioned I used to play, he told me how he would own me... I told him to bring his cards in. We played a few games on a slow work day, and I handed him his ass with his own decks 5 out of 6 games with cards and abilities I had never seen, and was learning as I was drawing them. It had to have been extra embarrassing losing to someone that's asking "what does this do?"

It's crazy how some people "see" the interactions. I'm still learning on and off. A friend of mine played like 10 years ago and I got him back into it. He can pick up a deck and fairly quickly work out what it's trying to do.

It's crazy how some people "see" the interactions. I'm still learning on and off. A friend of mine played like 10 years ago and I got him back into it. He can pick up a deck and fairly quickly work out what it's trying to do.

I think those that get really into one card game can easily pick up another, or get back in the loop quickly. One of my good friends when I lived in Arizona came into the card shop I played at as a total scrub, but he stuck with it and eventually became a world champion at multiple card games, and qualified for the Pro Tour in magic... he was very dedicated (and spent a LOT of money, lol)

Anyone following the PT that's happening right now?

Saw that LSV made top 8.. Really want Yuuya Watanabe to win it though. That man's a legend, would like to see him take down a PT.

Anyone following the PT that's happening right now?

Saw that LSV made top 8.. Really want Yuuya Watanabe to win it though. That man's a legend, would like to see him take down a PT.

LOL. NVM. It's wrapped up already

I think those that get really into one card game can easily pick up another, or get back in the loop quickly. One of my good friends when I lived in Arizona came into the card shop I played at as a total scrub, but he stuck with it and eventually became a world champion at multiple card games, and qualified for the Pro Tour in magic... he was very dedicated (and spent a LOT of money, lol)

Yep, very much so. If you're good, you can make adjustments. It's like a person that plays FPS. Give them a bit of time to get timings down and they'll figure it out pretty quick. They may not be a expert, but they'll get proficient pretty quick.

The cost of the box is disgusting... At the end of the day, this is a card game.

I need and want a couple of the cards as well. But I ain't playing the booster box lottery... Making modern staples more accessible... yeah, right!
It will cause a drop in prices and people will buy more cards because of that. They are practically printing money. Print too much and its worthless but if you print a little at a time it's worth a bunch.

It will cause a drop in prices and people will buy more cards because of that. They are practically printing money. Print too much and its worthless but if you print a little at a time it's worth a bunch.

It is nuts. A year ago, I didn't go looking for Horizon Canopies as they were $40 each. Didn't want to spend that sort of money on "a silly card game", now they're like $100 each.

On another note, WOTC keep on ignoring the existence of a secondary market. In theory, all the money they make is clipping the ticket off the boxes etc and not on singles as such. I guess that's why them prices keep on getting jacked up

Foppa21 said:
It is nuts. A year ago, I didn't go looking for Horizon Canopies as they were $40 each. Didn't want to spend that sort of money on "a silly card game", now they're like $100 each.

On another note, WOTC keep on ignoring the existence of a secondary market. In theory, all the money they make is clipping the ticket off the boxes etc and not on singles as such. I guess that's why them prices keep on getting jacked up
Thats why I play limited. I spend $ 12 and am working with the same card pool as everyone else at the table.
Ive never been very interested in standard but Arena is FREE! So ive been getting in a ton of games and its a pretty fun .
I try to trade all my cards into the singles I have proxied up in my cube .
Modern is just always going to expensive because everyone wants the same cards.
But I think you can build a budget friendly deck and still play at your lgs for a few hundred.

Thats why I play limited. I spend $ 12 and am working with the same card pool as everyone else at the table.
Ive never been very interested in standard but Arena is FREE! So ive been getting in a ton of games and its a pretty fun .
I try to trade all my cards into the singles I have proxied up in my cube .
Modern is just always going to expensive because everyone wants the same cards.
But I think you can build a budget friendly deck and still play at your lgs for a few hundred.

I got smashed in the early game a few months ago in my first modern tournament. I sleeves up Elves because I don't get to actually play a ton and skipped in and out of the game so I have to actually read all the cards. Played elves because it was simple. I ran everything but cavern of souls at the time so it did cost a few hundred $$$, not as much as others I saw that day though. I was going 0-3 before I picked up my first win. The third loss was a $74 budget Rack deck the guy threw together the 3-4 days before. I've seen enough video now that it's a horrible match up for Elves.

The next game though, I beat Jund with the works for Liliana of the Veils, Goyfs etc. So that would've cost $1k.

Modern can be so wide open. It's the format where, if you spend money, your win % creeps up a bit, but even with budget decks, you can have fun and still take down one of the Tier 1 decks because of a favourable match up.

Anyone play EDH? Ive been out of magic but slowly getting back into it. I always enjoyed the deck building aspect just as much as the actual game.

Anyone going to buy ultimate masters? Some of those full art cards look awesome.

Anyone play EDH? Ive been out of magic but slowly getting back into it. I always enjoyed the deck building aspect just as much as the actual game.

Anyone going to buy ultimate masters? Some of those full art cards look awesome.

Ultimate Masters - too rich for my blood.. BUT as a caveat, I think if you buy a box or 2, it's a investment. You can probably offload it for 2-4x in a few years. In my view though, it's a card game and the cards are meant to be played.

On the EDH, I've bought a few of the Commander precon decks. So every once in awhile, I'll do it but I'm not really into it. I'm probably borderline ADD so EDH games have too many things happening on the battlefield and I get overwhelmed with everything that's going on really quickly

Ultimate Masters - too rich for my blood.. BUT as a caveat, I think if you buy a box or 2, it's a investment. You can probably offload it for 2-4x in a few years. In my view though, it's a card game and the cards are meant to be played.

On the EDH, I've bought a few of the Commander precon decks. So every once in awhile, I'll do it but I'm not really into it. I'm probably borderline ADD so EDH games have too many things happening on the battlefield and I get overwhelmed with everything that's going on really quickly

I might get a box of ultimate but I am with ya, magic should be played. I have been digging the edh aspect of the game cos I felt there were some cards I could never squeeze into my decks but now can since its singleton. And a collector, I don't feel bad just buying 1 of a card instead of a playset cos I know I can still play that 1 card.

I might get a box of ultimate but I am with ya, magic should be played. I have been digging the edh aspect of the game cos I felt there were some cards I could never squeeze into my decks but now can since its singleton. And a collector, I don't feel bad just buying 1 of a card instead of a playset cos I know I can still play that 1 card.

I'd be into it but again just too much happening for me. If it was a bunch of the guys and we've got a couple of beers going I'd probably give it a proper go. But I hear stories of a few guys in the wider playgroup with truly degenerate decks (like turn 2 win type things) and just think "thanks, but no thanks". That just doesn't sound fun to me at all.

I'd be into it but again just too much happening for me. If it was a bunch of the guys and we've got a couple of beers going I'd probably give it a proper go. But I hear stories of a few guys in the wider playgroup with truly degenerate decks (like turn 2 win type things) and just think "thanks, but no thanks". That just doesn't sound fun to me at all.

Well EDH is the casual play style and should stay that way. Granted I play with some powerful cards here and there but my decks aint trying to combo off in turn 2 or do something stupid where people cant have fun. EDH is meant to be fun and do wacky things and have a fun time and try and win but if you cant its all good.

The decks where you lock people out or combo off turn 1 or 2 aren't meant for EDH and I would prolly say that to the person. Against the spirit of the format.

With beers and pizza and my friends is the only way I play it. We all joke and want to win but pull the back cos we are playing for kicks. I enjoy the banter and wackiness.

Back