Mafia 3

My friend got the game yesterday and pretty much said the exact same things MCS mentioned. He said it's fun but will get old fast as there's no variety, after a while you know you'll be doing the same things for the same results.

Pretty obvious why they didn't let copies out til Thursday for reviewers, they shouldve just delayed it and fixed things. I'd say about 60% of the user reviews I've seen are from pissed off people that have the game crashing often.

I've played about 6 hours it has crashed once

Game is alright

I would rate it 7 out of 10

Story very good
Graphics really good - sometimes the shadows from the clouds don't look right

Gameplay seems okay at the moment maybe will get repetitive later though

Story and acting probly saves this at this stage

I will complete it quick and trade for Gears or Horizon 3 I think!

Redboxed it -only a couple hours in but I doubt I'm even going to finish the game. Driving is garbage - floaty as hell, and the guns don't pack any kind of a punch. The narrative is really good, but I can't see trudging through hours and hours of gameplay to see it through.

Yeah I can't play this shit anymore. Radio stations just stopped working period (plays the sound when you switch stations but no music at all), calling in support wouldn't work at all (the game told me to do it but wouldn't allow me to select it), and this last mission I was doing froze the doors partway open so I could see where I had to go but wouldn't let me through. Meanwhile there's ten arms with guns clipping through those doors shooting at me.

This shit is unfinished, straight up.

Thoughts so far after completing the 1st district and 1 side mission (ps4):

- 1 crash thus far, happened when opening the map

- I'm no graphics expert. I only look at significant frame rate drops (AC Unity), severe pop-in and draw distance when in motion. And while driving the game doesn't process fast enough consistently, but otherwise the game often looks good, even great at times

- gameplay is cover-based stealth mixed with shooting/brawling depending on your playstyle. It's basic, there's some cover-to-cover but nothing like in past Gears games and no parkour-type fast-pace movement. TLOU had active cover, this isn't that neither, but more like GTA 4 - Lincoln Clay is a war vet who stalks guys and opens up when needed. It's serviceable.

- Guns feel light, even machine guns. There's this Kill Bill-type splash when you shoot a guy down. It's passable.

- Driving isn't smooth, but it's not Sleeping Dogs Arcade, either. Cars feel too heavy, hard to control in turns and the handbrake puts the cars on skates, they slide for too long, which is a headache in chases.

- Soundtrack is amazing, which makes driving a lot more fun. Cash, CCR, Clash, James Brown and many other big names from that time period.

- AI does the common guard routine from point A to point B and back. They do close in on you if they think they saw you. When they're hostile they mob you rather than cover exists and box you in, which would be a common 10 vs 1 strategy. So you can gun down 10 guys AND their reinforcements from cover. It's poor, but AI almost always is.

- City has a lot of detail and various shops you can rob and find cool collectibles in. 60's playboy mags, car mags, albums and more cool stuff. Both the city and the collectibles are well done.

- Story cutscenes have an old movie filter, which fits nicely into the covered time period. Character cutscenes use a modern filter. The storytelling in both is fantastic, easily the best aspect of the game. All characters thus far have a distinct persona, which adds both life and variety to them. The start of the story is right up there with the best made to date.

- The struggle is real for the 60's black man here. Accurately described, but not overdone.

- Overall I can see the repetitiveness already this early in the game. You kill a few key mobsters to get to a higher ranked target who then leads you to the big fish. The game tells you early this is how you get to your final goal. Hopefully there's more mission variety down the line.

This all sounds pretty average besides this. Which is a feature I always thought GTA was missing. It would add so much more depth to the game besides going into the same cookie cutter buildings.

This all sounds pretty average besides this. Which is a feature I always thought GTA was missing. It would add so much more depth to the game besides going into the same cookie cutter buildings.
They're a fun add. The storytelling steals the show though. It's amazingly well done. Previous Mafia's had good storytelling as well, but they took it to another level with this. Without it this would be mediocre/bad.

Last edited:
For some reason this game gave me the feeling that Scarface on PS2 did. While it was like GTA, there was something about the atmosphere, and there were some kinda cool ideas that GTA hadn't implemented yet. But the gameplay was just...not a lot of fun.

If they had taken 6 months to do QC on Mafia 3 (and fixed the shitty ass driving), it could have been spectacular. The animations, atmosphere, soundtrack, story are just really good IMO. Yeah, it gets repetitive, which isn't a good thing.

But you encounter all of these fucking bugs and you want to facepalm so hard it's insane. That gunfight with the cops in the French quarter - I was feeling it because of the atmosphere. But when Lincoln fired his gun and everyone started scattering, the game bugged and all the pedestrians disappeared. Things like that really take you out of the experience. This game should not have been released in its current state.

Also, this is the last time I maintain any faith in a game when review copies aren't sent out. This game was clearly held back from reviewers because it's such a mess. I guarantee. When a game like Uncharted 4 - with online AND offline components - can be reviewed a week before it even comes out, no embargoes or nothing, there is absolutely no excuse why a game like this can't be reviewed early either.

Last edited:
Hangar 13 doesn't have the same money Rockstar has, and 2k isn't willing to help them there the same way they would Rockstar, if they needed the help.

That's how Mafia 3 feels thus far to me (after getting 3 underbosses): some things done exceptionally well, but the budged and also the release date pressure made them focus more on a functional city & gameplay, and go all in with the story, while the originality, variety and bug fixing would cost more time & money.

So they choose to market clips from when the city looks great and parts of the awesome story, while knowing they get mixed reviews for a bunch of shortcomings.

But there's also a positive note which I noticed at the stage of the game I am now - they do throw in some unexpected things that are a nice break from the monotony. Hitmen, trucks to follow to a lead, all the Lieutenants thus far having unique missions and also the upcoming power struggle with your own underbosses, which reminds me of Shadow of Mordor, but of course on a much smaller scale. Hopefully there are more of these random surprises.

The game has now crashed 3 times in a row for me during the opening cut scene of the "friiends like these" mission.

I think I'm done. There wasn't much driving me to continue playing in the first place and now this adds to it. I believed the hype and bought it on the first day of release, now I regret it for not waiting. Won't do that shit again, except for ME Andromeda.

I'm glad I'm still playing Fallout 4 : Far Harbor. Maybe wait another month so DIshonored 2 comes out & play that.

MAYBE after that Mafia 3 has been fixed up put to discount.

I like this game so far...

Yes it crashed once early but no problems after that...

The driving part is better than Mafia2...

Graphics are pretty good...but not like Uncharted4...

The storyline is really really good...and the soundtrack is fantastic!

The story must be great, most review sites are giving it a decent score even though they dont like the variety and controls, but they all love the story.

Buddy got it for PC, said it's amazing, but not as good as GTA 5. So pretty much, its saints row. Ill wait til it's $20-$25. I'm a cheap gamer.

Joey Diaz makes an appearance and you get enough "cocksuckers" and "motherfuckers" for weeks

Really enjoyed Maffia 2, I think the production values, the voice acting, the story, and the ending were just outstanding. Might skip this game though, not liking the comments about bugs and repetition, I hate grinding.

Back