Economy ~ Made In America ~ [US Shale Juggernaut Stomping OPEC + MFG's Biggest Annual Job Gain In 20 Years]

The more diverse the community, the more variety of ideas. This results in a greater chance of finding one that works.

I kind of cringe when people promote "diversity" for the sake of it strictly as a social ideal and don't elucidate on why they find it to be a strength (do they even know?) but in the right environment and context it yields a highly positive confluence of ideas that boost a country's talent pool and capacity for innovation across all sectors.

America's ethnic / genetic diversity gives it an inherent advantage over a rising power such as the PRC where, although it certainly exists, is fixated on pushing a Han-dominated homogeneous "dream". I think it's been sufficiently demonstrated in other threads how much of a handle we still have on the scientific discovery and technological advancement fronts.

https://www.bcg.com/en-us/publications/2018/how-diverse-leadership-teams-boost-innovation.aspx

There has long been anecdotal evidence supporting the idea that diversity fosters innovation. Now there is a databased case as well. The evidence is clear: companies that take the initiative and actively increase the diversity of their management teams - across all dimensions of diversity with the right enabling factors in place - perform better.

These companies find unconventional solutions to problems and generate more and better ideas, with a greater likelihood that some of them will become winning products and services in the market. As a result, they outperform their peers financially. For management teams, there are few slam dunks in the business world. This is one of them.

ross-perot-1992-1.jpg

I'm more into space and defense than the commercial sector, but everyone is claiming they were unaware of the 737's MCAS function - Lion Air, American Airlines, even US pilot unions but doesn't the FAA hold responsibility for certifying Boeing jets and training programs for pilots? They say the automated response can be shut off "by pressing two buttons" and that the action is set out in a checklist. Another potential crash was recently averted.

Their is a floor at the Everett production facility. It once housed the FAA. It was a group of about 50 offices. Easily could have been used for over 100 FAA workers.

There are now 3 FAA employees in Everett, and 1 in Renton.

I have to really be careful what I say here, but I think the idea that 1 FAA employee could oversee all single aisle aircraft production in Renton, seems kind of absurd.

https://www.bcg.com/en-us/publications/2018/how-diverse-leadership-teams-boost-innovation.aspx

There has long been anecdotal evidence supporting the idea that diversity fosters innovation. Now there is a databased case as well. The evidence is clear: companies that take the initiative and actively increase the diversity of their management teams - across all dimensions of diversity with the right enabling factors in place - perform better.

These companies find unconventional solutions to problems and generate more and better ideas, with a greater likelihood that some of them will become winning products and services in the market. As a result, they outperform their peers financially. For management teams, there are few slam dunks in the business world. This is one of them.

Wouldn't it be easier for them to prove that creativity, work ethic, etc are tied to gender, race, and nationality?

Then they can make the case that women are better at X, so hire more women to improve at X. Or asiains are better at Y, so hire more asians.

Otherwise, you are just picking and choosing diverse groups that are successful and comparing them with less diverse groups that are on par or less successful to demonstrate that diverse groups are successful. But you still haven't proved that they are only more successful because they are diverse.

I work on a diverse team, a liberal's wet dream. I just don't see any advantages of it other than to be included in an article like that. Our identities are not discussed and are not tied to our output.

Wouldn't it be easier for them to prove that creativity, work ethic, etc are tied to gender, race, and nationality?

Then they can make the case that women are better at X, so hire more women to improve at X. Or asiains are better at Y, so hire more asians.

Otherwise, you are just picking and choosing diverse groups that are successful and comparing them with less diverse groups that are on par or less successful to demonstrate that diverse groups are successful. But you still haven't proved that they are only more successful because they are diverse.

I work on a diverse team, a liberal's wet dream. I just don't see any advantages of it other than to be included in an article like that. Our identities are not discussed and are not tied to our output.

Heh, maybe. BCG is a management consulting firm, not a university social sciences department with an ideological bent. In other articles on diversity, they argue against implementing things like simplified top-down mandates and compositional quota targets, instead focusing on individuality and customization. It's far more clear cut with fundamental STEM research than business anyhow; the US essentially just brain drains the global talent pool across the entire spectrum of every kind of 'identity' so of course, diversity is king.

As someone with a degree in computer science, and who has been in the government technology sector as a Web services provgammer for the last 11 years...

As my friends and colleagues went back for their masters in cybersecurity or data analytics, I spent a fraction of the price on training in PLC programming and manufacturing automation.

I've already got a part time gig with uhaul working on their automated welders and am eyeing up another gig with a pretty big local dairy farm.

My training has already been paid for from the part time and a few per diem jobs I've worked where my friends haven't even finished their master programs yet.

It's pretty lucrative moonlighting as a "lower-skilled hands-on tech" troubleshooting manufacturing systems. And it's easy if you are already mechanically inclined and have a background and experience in higher-level technologies.

Just some food for thought to any bros feeling less than fulfilled sitting behind a desk staring at code all day.

Sort of skimmed the bloated OP... Here is a takeaway:

The entire reason most people speak of the necessity for "good paying" factory jobs in America would be erased if said good paying factory jobs required extensive, hi-tech skill acquisitions.

Sure, there are some very involved high-cost programs.

However, many of the training programs and certification courses are through community colleges. Also, in PA, there's a support system for jobseekers called CareerLink that subsidizes these sorts of programs.

The training is really pretty cheap in the first place through my local community college, and absolutely free for those who qualify through PA CareerLink.

I would assume many states offer the same jobseeker support programs.

Does no one play footsy in airport bathrooms anymore?

Some of us cis males are fighting hard for gender neutral restrooms so that we can have a chance at the fun gay guys have been having for decades in public toilets.

Other material on NoDak:

North Dakota's Norway Experiment: Can Humane Prisons Work In America?

Little Sovereign Wealth Fund On The Prairie (From 2014)

North Dakota is enjoying a flood of biblical proportions. Shale-drilling technology has liberated huge quantities of oil from the Bakken shale in the western part of the state. Production has surged from about 100,000 barrels per day in 2007 to nearly one million barrels per day this year - a tenfold increase.

But North Dakota, America’s latest petro-state, is handling its newfound wealth with the kind of modesty you might expect in a land where people live in giant open spaces and at the mercy of nature. Decades of boom and bust in agriculture have forged a culture of thrift, an abhorrence of debt, and a healthy mistrust of high finance.

Alone among the 50 states, North Dakota has a state-owned bank. It never had much of a housing and credit boom, so it never had much of a housing bust. So it’s not surprising the state is taking a conservative approach to its sovereign wealth fund, the North Dakota Legacy Fund...

...When fracking turned the Bakken Shale into Saudi Arabia on the high plains, the trickle of oil revenues turned into a gusher. Eager not to squander the state’s good fortune, North Dakota in 2010 created the state’s Legacy Fund through an amendment to the state constitution. The amendment stipulated that 30 percent of all extraction and production tax revenues collected should flow into the fund.

Further, the money couldn’t be touched for seven years, until 2017—at which point the interest and income generated by the fund would be rolled into the state’s general budget. Money from the principal could only be spent if two-thirds of both houses of the state legislature approved. And no more than 15 percent of the principal could be spent in any two-year period.

As the young fund got on its feet, it followed an extremely conservative investment philosophy: Pretty much all the cash was invested in safe, low-yielding bonds. There were to be no indoor-ski slopes built in Bismarck or 90-story skyscrapers constructed in Fargo. And the team at the North Dakota Investment Board, which also takes care of the state’s pension programs for public employees, didn’t rush to New York to find hedge fund and private equity sharpies.

How's that @Sano? :)
Hey man, sorry for the late response. I've been working on a presentation and generally just been busy.

That is a very interesting read, and a really smart move. Good for the people and the state.

Do you know what happened after access to the funds opened up in 2017?

Hey man, sorry for the late response. I've been working on a presentation and generally just been busy.

That is a very interesting read, and a really smart move. Good for the people and the state.

Do you know what happened after access to the funds opened up in 2017?

The Legacy Fund is still an untapped minnow at around $6 billion with no clear purpose; total deposits are up to $4.72 billion from oil and gas tax revenue with another $1.19 billion in staunchly conservative investment earnings. There's been legislative proposals to use it in part to help fund public works projects and people often wonder about redistribution in the form of dividends. The state also receives royalties from energy development on public land that go into the separate Common Schools Trust Fund, which is a little over $4.3 billion itself.

The Legacy Fund is still an untapped minnow at around $6 billion with no clear purpose; total deposits are up to $4.72 billion from oil and gas tax revenue with another $1.19 billion in staunchly conservative investment earnings. There's been legislative proposals to use it in part to help fund public works projects and people often wonder about redistribution in the form of dividends. The state also receives royalties from energy development on public land that go into the separate Common Schools Trust Fund, which is a little over $4.3 billion itself.
That's great. Hope they spend it well.

A Universal Basic Income is a must for the future and planning must start now. As is, its dismissed by people on both sides of the political spectrum and no real planning is being made. We already know for a fact that serious changes are coming and that many millions of jobs are going to disappear world wide and if planning is not made, there is going to be chaos unlikes of which most of the developed world has not seen in a long time. Governments will fall from the millions of people who will be left with no choice but take what they need to survive.

This is not even a new idea. Milton Friedman, back in the 1960s created an idea that actually met what both sides could agree to, yet both were so locked into their own already established ideas that it was ignored...but today, every year that goes by without coming up with a plan, we risk it all.

Milton Friedman on the great William F Buckley Jr's show, Firing Line.

Sam Harris on Universal Basic Income

Elon Musk...
https://futurism.com/elon-musk-auto...ernments-to-introduce-universal-basic-income/

A Universal Basic Income is a must for the future and planning must start now. As is, its dismissed by people on both sides of the political spectrum and no real planning is being made. We already know for a fact that serious changes are coming and that many millions of jobs are going to disappear world wide and if planning is not made, there is going to be chaos unlikes of which most of the developed world has not seen in a long time. Governments will fall from the millions of people who will be left with no choice but take what they need to survive.

This is not even a new idea. Milton Friedman, back in the 1960s created an idea that actually met what both sides could agree to, yet both were so locked into their own already established ideas that it was ignored...but today, every year that goes by without coming up with a plan, we risk it all.

Milton Friedman on the great William F Buckley Jr's show, Firing Line.

Sam Harris on Universal Basic Income

Elon Musk...
https://futurism.com/elon-musk-auto...ernments-to-introduce-universal-basic-income/

Buckley was way before my time and I'm not a conservative alas can't say I'm a "fan" necessarily, but Firing Line had some excellent guests and debates to dig through the archives for. It wasn't limited to politicians and pundits, but included figures from the entertainment industry, private sector, academia as well. 1966-1999 is one hell of a run.

Buckley was way before my time and I'm not a conservative alas can't say I'm a "fan" necessarily, but Firing Line had some excellent guests and debates to dig through the archives for. It wasn't limited to politicians and pundits, but included figures from the entertainment industry, private sector, academia as well. 1966-1999 is one hell of a run.

FYI, one does not need to be a conservative to admire him. He was a great odds with Christopher Hitchens on almost all topics yet had him on his show many times, they became friends and Hitch came on his last show to give him a great sendoff. Buckley took on many arguments just so it was represented by someone and had the ability to argue against his own beliefs. In his long career he made one mistake, many call it massive...he allowed someone to piss him off and he made a comment, calling the man a queer, a thing that haunted him for decades and people use that to undermine his points and person-hood...even though one of his greatest interviews was with Allen Ginsberg (who was gay) a man he disagreed with greatly, yet admire greatly. You can even see his admiration of him when he goes way off script and reads poems and wants to sing his responses. It truly is, a sign of a good person, that can do things like this especially today with so much intolerance for different views.

But yes, his show has some great debates. Have you seen any of the ones after he retired? Just not the same. He made those debates great.

Back