Mad Props to Shogun (tornado kick)

Evil Eye Gouger said:
But telling a wannabe tough-guy that Shogun did a TKD kick (after the same wannabe tough-guy spent a month saying that anybody who tried a jumping kick would get killed and that it's all bullshit), that is something soothing for the soul. Sherdog is a hard place, full of idiots, and little moments like those make it easier to cope with the massive amounts of bullshit. I hope you understand.

Err... just to clarify. Who are you referring to as the wanna-be tough guy. I think I'm the only person in this thread who was told this was a TKD technique, but I never spent a month (or any time for that matter) saying a jumping kick would get you killed. Kind of confused?

Iceman5592 said:
Err... just to clarify. Who are you referring to as the wanna-be tough guy. I think I'm the only person in this thread who was told this was a TKD technique, but I never spent a month (or any time for that matter) saying a jumping kick would get you killed. Kind of confused?

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Heh, nah, I always say it when there's a cool flying kick in MMA. Generally, people don't shit that much here in Standup Discussion where people are reasonable.
It's in the MMA forum where the real morons live

BHkd, the peacekeeper :D

Celtic_81 said:
Relax bro, I was simply letting him know that if he wanted to learn more about that particular technique that he showed interest in, a TKD thread would be a good place to look. I am sure that other styles have their equivelants to many TKD techniques. I have heard that Shogun actually learned the tornado kick from training Capoeira, which I believe, as I have watched many a Capoeira class at the BJJ school I train at. However, in respect to the swap roundhouse to which Iceman was referring, it is very widely practiced TKD technique, thus the basis for my suggestion.

Oh, and thanks to Kyryllo for posting the clip.

In capoeria the kick he did was a jumping Martelo Rotado.

Iceman5592 said:
No, nobody in this thread.

But start a thread in MMA saying you do TKD and watch the trolls. It always happens. Sorry, I was speaking generally, from past experiences.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Heh, nah, I always say it when there's a cool flying kick in MMA. Generally, people don't shit that much here in Standup Discussion where people are reasonable.

It's in the MMA forum where the real morons live :)
and i ithink well see more and more of new stuff in mma,because new generation of fighters is coming,like shogun who crosstrained all his life and he can try some new shit cause he doesnt care if fight ends up on the ground,he is athleticaly extremely gifted and i bealive he is the leader of the new generation

lumpinee said:
and i ithink well see more and more of new stuff in mma,because new generation of fighters is coming,like shogun who crosstrained all his life and he can try some new shit cause he doesnt care if fight ends up on the ground,he is athleticaly extremely gifted and i bealive he is the leader of the new generation
I've been saying this for a long time. First we saw head kicks, then we saw spinning hook and back kicks, then we saw some flying roundhouses, double jumping roundhouses, jump turn back kicks, and so on.

The quality of striking has been improving as people get more well-rounded and stop worrying about being taken down. I think this will only continue.

Check out St.Pierre, Anderson Silva, Luiz Azeredo, Shogun, David Loiseau, etc. for a new generation of fighters who aren't scared of throwing more complex kicks and landing them.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
I've been saying this for a long time. First we saw head kicks, then we saw spinning hook and back kicks, then we saw some flying roundhouses, double jumping roundhouses, jump turn back kicks, and so on.

The quality of striking has been improving as people get more well-rounded and stop worrying about being taken down. I think this will only continue.

Check out St.Pierre, Anderson Silva, Luiz Azeredo, Shogun, David Loiseau, etc. for a new generation of fighters who aren't scared of throwing more complex kicks and landing them.
exactly this is the new generation,many people think that mma has reached its peak but mma is nowhere near its peak and constantly evolves.in near future we ll have more allround fighters like those above mentioned and a chance to see more and more tehniques,in the future i excpect many great striking battles

To a point brought up earlier in the thread, I think that the fighters who are able to effectively execute more complex TKD strikes and the like definately have a certain WTF factor to throw at their opponents. 90% of fighters now can defend a leg kick or even a high kick to an extent, but not many can even recognize when they are setting themselves up to get a hop back kick to the gut, or an axe kick to the head/collar bone. It's nice to see the strikers taking back the element of surprise as opposed to the BJJ guys back in the day!

i'm glad he did it... and i'm glad he didn't pay for it ... its good that as soon as he stopped the kick... he raised his left hand to block the right from arona...

I'd agree there is only so many ways to jump up, spin around, and kick. Capoeira (sp?) and TKD have so many similar kicks it is uncanny. Of course both of them are jumping and spinning oriented arts. It is natural for the two to overlap in many areas. It is like an armbar in BJJ/Sambo/Judo. They all do the same thing. You can't argue which one a guy used.

I love ot watch Capoeira. Sometimes I see them practicing on the weekend at a park near my house. I always sit my butt down to watch for a bit.

Someone said they wished there wasn't styles. I can definitely see your point. But I also like there are styles that focus on certain things. The reason for this is there is more than fighting to all of this. There is also art and expression. By this I mean you are walking through a park and you see these guys jumping and spinning in a circle of other people and you say: Damn!!! I want to do that. It looks like fun!

If everything was styless martial arts might degenerate into, "This is the GNP. This is dirty boxing. This is a take down from the clinch. These are the kicks that have the highest percentage of taking someone out. Learn this and nothing else.

The 'wow' factor might get lost in the shuffle...

I disagree...when you deal with styles, especially styles that limit themselves to a certain set of techniques, THATS how you get stagnant....thats how you get the elitist mindset of "do this, and only this"

this has existed for a loooong time in the world of Martial Arts...if anything MMA has helped break that old traditional modality.

Ive said before in another thread that my MMA class is a lot more lax than my Boxing and Muay Thai class.

as for the whole aesthetic side of it, well, personally, Ive been drawing and painting since I was a kid, and Ive played music for over ten years...

and Id also like to say that knocking someone out with a well placed left hook...well...thats art to me.

and Art is subjective to the person viewing it.

Don't disagree with you on the elitist mindset. It can certainly happen.

What I mean is that we have martial arts that have, as a goal, the tornado kick. Is it really all that useful for self defense/brawling?

Lets be honest and say no. Shogun used it, but he didn't land it. We can say the 'crazy factor' might have helped, but we're still reaching. We could also say that learning such techniques has honed his coordination and such. Might be true.

My point is many styles have flair in their advanced techniques. They are done for fun. Kind of like riding a bike. It isn't that hard really, you jump on it and pedal. You win a race by pedaling really fast. Simple concept. But then these nimrods screw it all up by doing stuff like jumping and flipping in the air? What a bunch of fricken idiots! Don't they know that doing a flip in the air doesn't help them win the bike race?

Of course no one argues about that. It is well known that they are going for style and fun when people jump and flip bicycles.

Take this to martial arts. You see Capoeira guys in the park. They are spinning and doing tornado kicks and you think, "What a bunch of idiots? It is so much easier just to throw a punch to the face rather than that crap. Don't they know that?"

Yeah. They know it. They've known it for a long time. They just want to have some fun.

But we're starting to see that there is room for both in MMA. Both the basic and effective, and the WTF. This new generation of athletes is showing us that. And I think it is pretty cool.

And I'm not knocking any styles. I do TKD and Sambo. I'd love to do boxing as well. Not because I plan on doing MMA or fighting, just because I think shadowboxing looks fricken cool. But you only have so much time...

Back