Mad Props to Shogun (tornado kick)

Celtic_81

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of my fellow TKDers were excited to see a tornado kick used in an MMA fight. This makes me doubley impressed with Shogun, as he did a swap roundhouse against Rampage as well. I completely lost my shit when he pulled out that kick. It didn't land, but still, cool to see.

I thought it was pretty spectacular, though I think he threw it just to show off.

It was awesome and it will be fun to watch all the haters dismiss it or claim that it was some Muay Thai secret technique.

But it appears that Shogun got it from Capoeira (which he trained a lot) and not TKD (which he didn't).

Ya it was pretty, and he intended to land with it I think. I think the main idea here was to throw Arona off with the WTF factor, and it worked.

The kick didnt land, but it still worked its charm.

Now we just need him to land one like Loiseau did with the hop back kick to the haters can see that TKD techniques are actually effective when executed properly with good timing. Just a few inches lower with that kick and Shogun would have taken Arona's head off.

It was interesting in the interview how he says he practices it regularly in training. So doing it help him relax.

So, in essense, it was a WTF kick.

Even though he didn't land it, I think one of the reasons he is so good is because he trains with that kind of stuff. Anyone who has ever done those knows they tire you out like heck. You have to coordinate all sorts of muscles to do it. You really do have to be relaxed. Etc, etc.

So, while his base might be awesome boxing, stomps, wrestling, and sub defense, he has just a little bit more that make him a star...

If that would have landed I would die a happy man ten seconds later because it was a thing of beauty.

Yeah it was cool! If he would put the hips a bit more in it, then the kick would be a bit longer and he might have caught arona with it. But nontheless pretty cool, and props, you gotta have balls to put up something like in MMA:

Loved it. Awesome!!!!

This isn't the first time he's used a good jumping kick. Remember the one he used against Rampage? Shogun and Ninja did a seminar at my MMA gym last year, and they showed some of the tricks they use. Shogun taught the kick that he used against Rampage. I love using it in sparring; even if it doesn't connect, it keeps him on his heels, it can set up a punch-clinch follow up (like Shogun used), and if you use it in a fight, it's visually pleasing to the audience. Fighters who bring new and interesting tricks to the table are the most popular ones. I definitely want to learn how to do this kick (when I used to do American McDojo karate, I always sucked at the aerial moves; I pretty much quit that when the studio I went to switched over to XMA).

I posted a link of Shogun's jump roundhouse. Practice this kick in front of a bag, until you get the mechanics down right. It's difficult at first. Set it up by throwing a couple of low kicks to the inside of the leg. Then, fake another one of these kicks, but AS you're faking it (it can't be after; it needs to be simultaneous), leap off the ground, pivoting your hips in the opposite direction, and attempt to connect with a kick to the head, neck, or midsection. This move takes some training because you're changing the direction of the pivot of your hips; if it's not done with the exact right timing, then you can't get any power out of it, or worse, you can't do it at all.

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3KYNA6GJPXP6S01DVIUDYBIZU1

^^ There's the link to the kick. Just play it on repeat.

Does anyone have a video of the tornado kick?

Kyryllo said:
Yeah it was cool! If he would put the hips a bit more in it, then the kick would be a bit longer and he might have caught arona with it. But nontheless pretty cool, and props, you gotta have balls to put up something like in MMA:

You're right, he didn't turn his hips over quite enough. If he had, it would have likely landed at a downward angle right across the side of Arona's face...lights out for sure.

Iceman, the kick Shogun used against Rampage was just a swap roundhouse kick, TKD 101. If you want more tips on how to set it up or execute it properly you may want to search the TKD threads. Glad to hear you excited about trying to incorporate into your game though.

yeah i thought it was great to see, especially at such an early stage of the fight. it definitely impressed me

Celtic_81 said:
You're right, he didn't turn his hips over quite enough. If he had, it would have likely landed at a downward angle right across the side of Arona's face...lights out for sure.

Iceman, the kick Shogun used against Rampage was just a swap roundhouse kick, TKD 101. If you want more tips on how to set it up or execute it properly you may want to search the TKD threads. Glad to hear you excited about trying to incorporate into your game though.

ok, the dude just said Shogun did a seminar that he went to, and youre still gonna tell him its this or that?....cmon now....just because one art has a kick, by any other name, doesnt mean that another art has the same kick and calls it something different!

also, to Eye Gouger, Muay Thai does do jump kicks dude....have you ever seen a thai fight?.....or look at K-1 even....Kaoklai Kannenorsing (sp?) took out Mighty Moe with a lightning fast flying round kick....or Remy Bonjasky, MY GAWD!

we've worked on different stuff before....its a common "advanced" technique to work on kicking with the other leg if you miss the first kick...and often, with guys who are adept enough at kicking, they go with the momentum and leap with the kick.

I am so sick of these style based arguements.....I hate styles...I hate the idea of styles....you know, a guy could do an axe kick or something, and then youd have a karate guy saying well thats a karate technique, youd have a TKD'er saying thats taekwondo, youd have Muay Thai guys saying well thats muay Thai, and youd have a Capoerist saying thats Capoiera!...enough already.....

a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick.....its not like youre playing for the damn TKD team, and you always gotta go POINT, POINT!...score one for us!

seriously...is this not a site devoted to MMA?...are we all not MMA fans?.....isnt the beauty of MMA that it is style-less?.....

Im not gonna lie, I train in boxing and muay thai...but I also train in MMA, and I have for years....we take influences from everywhere and anywhere....whatever works, and I would love nothing more than if everyone just dropped the ego and cross trained in everything....

hell, I used to talk smack about TKD all the time....you can ask ole Rex about that

but I dont anymore, because for all the faults Ive found in it, Ive found lots of good points too...and in the end, I believe its not WHAT you train, so much as HOW you train.....

can we please forget about styles, and lets just talk about the techniques and principles themselves!?

and for the record, I dont think that kick Shogun threw was for show at all...I think he was definitely trying to sucker Arona and take his damn head off....and it woulda too, if it landed.....he just misjudged his range, and he lept a little too high......it came from over-zealousness, Im sure.....but that kick wasnt simply pretty....it was a homerun for sure.

Iceman5592 said:
This isn't the first time he's used a good jumping kick. Remember the one he used against Rampage? Shogun and Ninja did a seminar at my MMA gym last year, and they showed some of the tricks they use. Shogun taught the kick that he used against Rampage. I love using it in sparring; even if it doesn't connect, it keeps him on his heels, it can set up a punch-clinch follow up (like Shogun used), and if you use it in a fight, it's visually pleasing to the audience. Fighters who bring new and interesting tricks to the table are the most popular ones. I definitely want to learn how to do this kick (when I used to do American McDojo karate, I always sucked at the aerial moves; I pretty much quit that when the studio I went to switched over to XMA).

I posted a link of Shogun's jump roundhouse. Practice this kick in front of a bag, until you get the mechanics down right. It's difficult at first. Set it up by throwing a couple of low kicks to the inside of the leg. Then, fake another one of these kicks, but AS you're faking it (it can't be after; it needs to be simultaneous), leap off the ground, pivoting your hips in the opposite direction, and attempt to connect with a kick to the head, neck, or midsection. This move takes some training because you're changing the direction of the pivot of your hips; if it's not done with the exact right timing, then you can't get any power out of it, or worse, you can't do it at all.

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3KYNA6GJPXP6S01DVIUDYBIZU1

^^ There's the link to the kick. Just play it on repeat.

Does anyone have a video of the tornado kick?
It was a nice kick also. But it's much better if you bend your upper body backwards so that your upper body and the leg are in one line. Otherwise you block your hips and generate less power. Unlike the standing kicks this kick has a bit different body rotation angle like the most kicks where you are in the air when you connect.

Here's almost the same kick. I broke the dudes nose with it, you can't see much though.

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=32857ETARH1KQ1XZWINMLJSO0L

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
ok, the dude just said Shogun did a seminar that he went to, and youre still gonna tell him its this or that?....cmon now....just because one art has a kick, by any other name, doesnt mean that another art has the same kick and calls it something different!

also, to Eye Gouger, Muay Thai does do jump kicks dude....have you ever seen a thai fight?.....or look at K-1 even....Kaoklai Kannenorsing (sp?) took out Mighty Moe with a lightning fast flying round kick....or Remy Bonjasky, MY GAWD!

we've worked on different stuff before....its a common "advanced" technique to work on kicking with the other leg if you miss the first kick...and often, with guys who are adept enough at kicking, they go with the momentum and leap with the kick.

I am so sick of these style based arguements.....I hate styles...I hate the idea of styles....you know, a guy could do an axe kick or something, and then youd have a karate guy saying well thats a karate technique, youd have a TKD'er saying thats taekwondo, youd have Muay Thai guys saying well thats muay Thai, and youd have a Capoerist saying thats Capoiera!...enough already.....

a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick.....its not like youre playing for the damn TKD team, and you always gotta go POINT, POINT!...score one for us!

seriously...is this not a site devoted to MMA?...are we all not MMA fans?.....isnt the beauty of MMA that it is style-less?.....

Im not gonna lie, I train in boxing and muay thai...but I also train in MMA, and I have for years....we take influences from everywhere and anywhere....whatever works, and I would love nothing more than if everyone just dropped the ego and cross trained in everything....

hell, I used to talk smack about TKD all the time....you can ask ole Rex about that

but I dont anymore, because for all the faults Ive found in it, Ive found lots of good points too...and in the end, I believe its not WHAT you train, so much as HOW you train.....

can we please forget about styles, and lets just talk about the techniques and principles themselves!?

and for the record, I dont think that kick Shogun threw was for show at all...I think he was definitely trying to sucker Arona and take his damn head off....and it woulda too, if it landed.....he just misjudged his range, and he lept a little too high......it came from over-zealousness, Im sure.....but that kick wasnt simply pretty....it was a homerun for sure.

Relax bro, I was simply letting him know that if he wanted to learn more about that particular technique that he showed interest in, a TKD thread would be a good place to look. I am sure that other styles have their equivelants to many TKD techniques. I have heard that Shogun actually learned the tornado kick from training Capoeira, which I believe, as I have watched many a Capoeira class at the BJJ school I train at. However, in respect to the swap roundhouse to which Iceman was referring, it is very widely practiced TKD technique, thus the basis for my suggestion.

Oh, and thanks to Kyryllo for posting the clip.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
I know there are jump kicks in Muay Thai (and especially in Muay Thai Boran), but I never thought that this particular kick was in it.

I guess you missed my point. I'm sick of the haters coming here shitting on all the styles, constantly and without remorse. I'm sick of self-proclaimed tough guys who started taking Muay Thai and BJJ three months ago because they saw Ong Bak telling people who have been training their whole lives that they are worthless. It is fun to poke them when a "useless", "weak" technique they spent months slagging off is used in an MMA ring.

I respect all (well, most) arts, and believe that it is up to a good practitioner to internalise the knowledge and make it work for him. I've always said that a round kick is a round kick, and the rest is nuances. A TKD kick can be devastating if done properly, as can a Muay Thai kick or a Kyokushin kick, etc.

But telling a wannabe tough-guy that Shogun did a TKD kick (after the same wannabe tough-guy spent a month saying that anybody who tried a jumping kick would get killed and that it's all bullshit), that is something soothing for the soul. Sherdog is a hard place, full of idiots, and little moments like those make it easier to cope with the massive amounts of bullshit. I hope you understand.

I do...but ya know, at the point in this thread in which you said that, noone had made any comments about it....its almost like trolling for an arguement.....because you KNOW someone is going to respond to that!

and for the record, I shit on styles....I shit on all of them......styles suck.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
I do...but ya know, at the point in this thread in which you said that, noone had made any comments about it....its almost like trolling for an arguement.....because you KNOW someone is going to respond to that!
Heh, nah, I always say it when there's a cool flying kick in MMA. Generally, people don't shit that much here in Standup Discussion where people are reasonable.

It's in the MMA forum where the real morons live :)

Back