MacRea's Amateur Fight Training (Boxing, conditioning, lifting)

Brandon MacRea said:
FEB 20th

Rest

FEB 21st

20 minutes jump-rope warm-up

stretching
conditioning drills:
5 minutes jump-rope (alternating sprint-speed and normal, push-ups, crunches)

4 rounds of the following:
30 seconds shoulder circles (fast, tight circles, elbows locked straight)
25 push-ups

2 minutes squat-tuckjump finisher
hug puke bucket and pray for death to take me x1

core work:
50 partener leg raises

2 rounds shadowboxing
6 rounds heavybag work
4 rounds speedbag

Today was a bad workout. I had eaten a tasty meal of whole grain pasta with lean meat and veggie sauce and a glass of 100% OJ. Thought it was a great meal full of complex carbohydrates, protein and fibre. Then I went to the boxing gym and realised how hard training was with a FUCKING BRICK IN YOUR STOMACH. God dammnit that took forever to digest, I finally controlled myself and got my second wind nearing the end of my heavybag work. Just felt crappy, even the drive home I felt sick. From now on, oatmeal and eggs will forever be my pre-workout meal. It's never failed me in the past. Thursday I'll be sparring and Saturday I'll be hitting the body belt. Other then that, I'm hoping for some roadwork, skill work at home and some lifting this week.

You need at least 2 hours for that shit.

Yup, time constraints kicked it down to an hour though and I paid the price

You should check out the Dieting and Supplementation Forum.

My original stomping grounds. Tons of good shit in there.

BTW I never eat before training. Empty stomach = better burning of glycogen stores which leads to better burning of stored bodyfat. Unless you're already one of those fast-metabolism cases, it's a little more efficient. Though to not waste muscle tissue I do use an amino complex.

King Kabuki said:
You should check out the Dieting and Supplementation Forum.

My original stomping grounds. Tons of good shit in there.

BTW I never eat before training. Empty stomach = better burning of glycogen stores which leads to better burning of stored bodyfat. Unless you're already one of those fast-metabolism cases, it's a little more efficient. Though to not waste muscle tissue I do use an amino complex.
Yeah - plus you get sick if your gut is full & you push yourself very hard.

Brandon MacRea said:
. From now on, oatmeal and eggs will forever be my pre-workout meal. It's never failed me in the past. Thursday I'll be sparring and Saturday I'll be hitting the body belt. Other then that, I'm hoping for some roadwork, skill work at home and some lifting this week.
rice works well incase you want to try something different.

Thanks for the input guys.

KK - I'll be checking the Diet and Supp forum a little more often. Though I've read extensively on diet, mostly from Ross Enamait's "Boxer's Guide to Performance Enhancement" and "Ultimate Training for the Ultimate Warrior", I had always read conflicting stuff about what to eat before training. I had read minimum one hour to digest and the ideal meal being high in complex carbs, so I thought I was cruising with my pasta. I generally find atleast 2 hours of "digestion time" to be ideal, though, and was just totally screwed for time.

Steeltwo - I love my rice, but there's something about oatmeal and eggs thats just sits well with me mentally and physically.

Anyways, thanks again all. Tonight:

FEBRUARY 22nd

3 rounds shadowboxing

5 sets of DB snatches
4 sets of full squats
4 sets of pistols
4 sets of weighted pull-ups
4 sets of weighted dips

finisher:
1 x 5 minute round of sledgehammer swinging

Worked out a 2x per week full body routine and I liked how it went tonight. Sunday I'll be doing some OHPing, benching, deadlifts, chins and more pistol work. I hit a (modest) new PR on the one arm DB snatch. Heading to the gym tommorow for some sparring if the bastards have someone for me for a change. KK, I hope you don't have any trouble finding sparring parteners once your training starts, it's tough. You get yourself into a frame of mind, hoping for some effective, tough sparring and then you show up at the gym and nobody is schedualed except for you and all of that aggression and anticipation just fizzles. sucks!

FEBRUARY 23rd

Put up some new quotes around my training room, along with a list of short term and long term goals that I'm working up to including but not limited to winning my next fight by KO, a one-arm chin, and a 75lbs DB snatch. Made up a CD, was downed my oatmeal and eggs, 2 hours later I did the following:

warmup/stretching

4 rounds shadowboxing

4 rounds heavybag work (alot of emphasis on the right hand as I feel it is falling behind in terms of progression)

6 rounds conditioning drills
-30 seconds step-up punching
-30 seconds shadowboxing
-10 push-ups
-10 burpees

finisher:
1 minute sandbag overhead carry

ohhh yeah

Hah, I think I just might have to, although it might be dangerous. Wouldn't wanna glance up and read "scarf wearing vaginas", burst into laughter in mid-lift and drop a hundred pounds on my beach muscles or girly pink lungs.

Curious about this PM...

FEB 24th

Rest.

FEB 25th

jump-rope warm-up
stretching

2 rounds shadowboxing
6 rounds heavybag work
4 rounds speedbag work

5 minutes core work (russian twists, med ball sit-ups, side planks, leg raises)

burpee pyramid 2 4 6 8 10 8 6 4 2 (50 total)

2 rounds shadowboxing

Tommorow our club is putting on a show at Le Skratch in Oshawa, Ontario if anyone is close by. 7 dollars at the door, most of the local favorites are fighting (Colin Fish, Lyndsay, Clayton, big Frankie, Kyle TNT Wright). No welterweight fighters were available from McGorys or Atlas so I have to sit this one out and cheer everyone on. Lifting tommorow, before or after the show.

Feb 26/27

Rest - worked

Feb 28th

warm-up (including push-ups, alligator walks, tight shoulder circles and thorough stretching)
5 minutes of core work (flutter kicks, bicycle, leg raises - feet never touched the ground. NO REST)
3 minutes of kick-jumps

3 rounds shadowboxing
6 rounds heavybag work
4 rounds focus mitts (defensive emphasis)
3 rounds speedbag

5 minutes moderate core work (russian twists, planks, sit-ups)

finisher:
punch-out drills

Writing up a big list of indoor roadwork alternatives until winter stops sucking. I can keep a respectable punch output as the rounds go by, but I find I lose my legs before I lose my wind.

Hah, I think I just might have to, although it might be dangerous. Wouldn't wanna glance up and read "scarf wearing vaginas", burst into laughter in mid-lift and drop a hundred pounds on my beach muscles or girly pink lungs.

Curious about this PM...

Good stuff, gave me a good chuckle.

Man when you want to turn Pro let me know. If I can hook you up in Vegas or wherever the Hell I am I will. You need a winter place to train where you can get proper road work. My home gym is most-likely going to be in Florida, as my step-dad (who is a former Pan American games Boxer) is looking to open a Boxing Gym in Orlando. And a REAL one, with viable Amateurs and Pro's fighting out of it. Myself and Vilo MaGee included. You'd be more than welcome to come down during the winter months and train, where it's humid as hairy plumber ass-crack.

Oh yeah, and hope the PM was worth the wait. We're trying to make having the Fighter tags around here mean something.

Definitely, KK, I'll either send a copy of my amateur passbook or maybe some fight footage your way or Vilo's and let you have a look if you think I'd be at home with you guys. I'm looking to turn pro in early 2008.

Also, the PM was awesome. I checked the Ask the Fighters section that same day and noticed all of these amateur/pro fighters coming out of the woodwork to answer questions on oly-lifting for some guy, it was really cool.

keep training hard

March 2nd

3 rounds shadowboxing
4 rounds heavybag work
4 rounds 10 x 10 drill

4 rounds conditioning:
30 seconds mountain climbers
30 seconds step-ups
30 seconds shadowboxing
30 seconds burpees

hand strength circuit:
thickbar pull-ups x5
wrist roller x5 (up+down = 1 rep)
knuckle pushups x10
axe levering (all directions) x5 per hand/direction

repeated this 3 times.

finisher:
1 minute twisting overhead sandbag carry

I'd rate this training day at about a 7.5.

March 3rd

shadowboxing - working on getting inside

about 25-30 minutes of pistol work, animal movements (bearcrawl, duck walk, alligator crawl, crabwalk, horse stance), oapu work, pull-ups, and light core work. Just keeping fresh for tommorow.

Lots of stretching tonight, too, about 10 minutes as I slowed down

March 4th

jump-rope warm-up (alternating moderate pace skill workand sprints)

stretching from head to toe

4 rounds shadowboxing

6 rounds heavybag work

3 rounds focus mitts

3 rounds speedbag

8-10 minutes core work (sit-ups, planks, side planks)
8-10 minute footwork drills

March 5th

Grandfather brought over a big loaf of irish bread - oatmeal, buttermilk, baking soda and raisin that apparently was a staple in his diet as a fighter. The stuff is delicious with a bit of honey on it for breakfast and for some reason I chose it as my pre-workout meal. This story has no point.

shadowboxing warm-up

1 mile sandbag carry (alternating bearhug and shoulder carrying styles)

push-up pyramid 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
bodyweight squat pyramid 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

pyramids were done in a superset, and after the sandbag carry it wasn't fun.

shadowboxing cool-down

That was a nice change of pace.

Grandfather brought over a big loaf of irish bread - oatmeal, buttermilk, baking soda and raisin that apparently was a staple in his diet as a fighter. The stuff is delicious with a bit of honey on it for breakfast and for some reason I chose it as my pre-workout meal. This story has no point.

You have a Boxing Irish grand-dad, too?

Mine was a Corpseman in the Navy as well, bullet-crater in the leg from Vietnam, with an extremely quick 1-2 combo.

Though I don't think the whiskey he'd bring would be as good a dietary staple as that bread. lol

Internet has been down for the past few days, so i've got some catching up to do here...

And yeah, KK, my granddad was a light heavyweight amateur who according to his coach "led to often with his head", hence the nickname "Headfirst"

March 6th

Rest.

March 7th

jumprope warmup
stretching and bodyweight circuit (push-ups, shoulder circles)
2 rds shadowboxing
6 rds heavybag
3 rds focus mitts
2 rds sparring

Would've been more sparring but the three guys who I was working with had to leave for work (go figure).

March 8th

AM:

2 km run and sprint finisher (moving backwards, sideways, forwards. Mostly hills)

PM:

5 minutes shadowboxing
6 rounds heavybag
5 minutes bodyweight strength work (push-ups, pullups, pistols)
5 minutes axe levering
5 minutes light core work

March 9th

jumprope warmup
stretching and shoulder circle/pushup circuit
3 minutes conditioning (squat jumps)
2 rounds shadowboxing
6 rounds heavybag
4 rounds speedbag
bodyweight strength work (pistols msotly)
core work (partener leg throws, planks, side planks, situps)
shadowboxing cooldown

March 10th

1 km sandbag carry (alternation shoulders and bearhug style carry)

Why do I subject myself to that twice a week? oww

Back