MacRea's Amateur Fight Training (Boxing, conditioning, lifting)

Brando

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
At KK's request, I'll be posting my training here for advice, criticism, etc. I have a different approach to training then alot of people in my area. I use sledgehammer, axe, sandbag (on hold for the next week or so), lots of bodyweight stuff, lifting, etc. and it's going really well. Lately I've been only able to make the long drive to the boxing gym between 2-3 times a week, but I train 6 days a week irregardless.

Height: 6'0
Weight: 150 (fighting as a ww)
Goals: Take my boxing as far as I can.

I'll post what I've done the last week to give some more background info...

January 5th:

Boxing gym tonight:

light jump-rope warm-up
condition drills:
30 seconds moderate paced jumprope
30 seconds sprint paced jumprope
15 lunges/push-ups/burpees

three circuits.

4 rounds shadowboxing
4 rounds heavybag work
4 rounds speedbag
3 rounds core work (40 medicine ball sit-ups/russian twists, front/left/right plank to finish the round)
3 rounds uppercut bag

light bodyweight circuit:

10 chin-ups
10 push-ups
10 one-legged squats (each leg)

x3

January 6th

4 rounds all-out shadowboxing [30 second rest intervals for everything]
thorough stretching

tuck-jump pyramid 3,6,9,12,15,12,9,6,3 [chinnies/sit-ups/planks between steps]

mini-circuit:
5 pull-ups
5 push-ups
5 squats

repeat as quickly as possible x5 (blasted through this)

4 rounds jump-rope (30 moderate paced rotations, 10 sprint rotations, repeat til rounds end)

sledgehammer finisher:

4 x 1 minute sprint-speed intervals.

Had to keep it short and sweet. Feel good.

January 7th

(All exercises with a * were done with a weighted backpack.)
4 rounds all-out shadowboxing [ 30 seconds rest]

"BACKPACK ATTACK" from page 161 of UTFUW (with minor changes):

bodyweight triceps extensions* pyramid 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1
elevated feet push-ups* pyramid 3,6,9,12,9,6,3

pull-up pyramid 2,3,4,5,4,3,2
handstand hold pyramid (in seconds) 20,30,40,50,40,30,20

lower body conditioning circuit:
bodyweight squats x25
burpees x10
30 seconds rest. repeat x3

core circuit:
knee hugs x20
weighted russian twists x20
chinnies x20
rest 30 seconds. repeat x3.

January 9th

light jump-rope warm-up
stretching + footwork lessons
4 rounds all-out shadowboxing
4 rounds heavybag
4 rounds speedbag

core circuit:
20 twisting medicine ball sit-ups (16 lbs. medicine ball, one full sit-up, one full russian twist to each side is one rep)
30 second front/left/right plank

repeat x3

Today started off pretty badly, my gloves were stolen out of my car (if you see any street hooligans street fighting with Top Contender bag gloves, let me know! ) so I'm out 70 bucks. Had to order some new ones, they'll be in within the next few days if all goes well. Lucky for me, though, 2 of the guys at my gym had busted hands (one left, one right!) and after a bit of moochy-moochy, I was thumping away at the bags with a pair of mismatched gloves.

Gym is really under staffed lately, one trainer and about 9-12 kids, no chance of me getting any decent padwork or sparring. Bummed out

January 10th

Off to hit the weights for something similar to the boxing-specific lifting routine found in both the Boxer's Guide and in one of Ross's training articles. Once I get my new sandbag up, sandbag power training will replace the monotony of lifting!

4 rounds of 10x10 shadowboxing drill

dumbbell snatch 3 x 5 (each hand)
squats 5 x 5
overhead press 5 x 5
weighted dips 4 x 5
pull-ups 4 x 8

core work:
planks - 1:30 front/left/right

finisher:
alternation diagonal/vertical sledgehammer swings x 100 (50 per side)

I'm inching past old PRs, and I feel powerful today! The weight was moving quickly. The 10 x 10 drill at the start helped me pick out some flaws with my flurries. I can't wait until I finish my sandbag...

January 11th

Finished a pair of essays to hand in tommorow, clock read 10:30... never to late for some bodyweight exercise

4 rounds jump-rope conditioning (10 sprint-speed rotations, 10 moderate-speed rotations for entire round)

conditioniong circuit:
-bearcrawl to one end of the room
-crabwalk back to the beginning
-perform one step of the follow tuck-jump ladder 3,6,9,12,15,12,9,6,3
-repeat until each step has been completed
-once finished (75 tuck-jumps total), end with 25 tuck jumps and a sprint-speed bearcrawl/crabwalk (100 total)

light core work totals:
50 straight legged medicine ball sit-ups
50 medicine ball russian twists (each side)
50 chinnies

finisher:

4 rounds of the 10 x 10 shadowboxing drill

I want my fucking gloves back. This is killing me.

Today started off pretty badly, my gloves were stolen out of my car (if you see any street hooligans street fighting with Top Contender bag gloves, let me know! ) so I'm out 70 bucks. Had to order some new ones, they'll be in within the next few days if all goes well. Lucky for me, though, 2 of the guys at my gym had busted hands (one left, one right!) and after a bit of moochy-moochy, I was thumping away at the bags with a pair of mismatched gloves.

Man that really bites. If you spot that kid you should ski-mask him. Meaning dawn a ski-mask and kick the dog shit out of him.

Good work nonetheless. Makes me wish I wasn't sick right now.

Man I fully intend to... wierd shit though, because my wallet was stuffed in my gym bag too and wasn't touched, along with the car stereo, my grippers, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff that'd make more sense then my gloves. Pisses me off to know that had I just thrown my gloves into my bag I wouldn't have to sacrifice alot of skill training. Thanks for the comments though, Kabuki. I figure we can push eachother a bit, compare times and stuff, I've got some cool Ross Enamait challenges that'll get us both way beyond fighting shape, and nothing fuels ya like competition.

JANUARY 12th

Anyways, active rest day today. Couldn't get the car to head into the boxing gym so I hit the books in for exam time and did a light bodyweight circuit. Totals:

50 pull-ups (all variations)
50 dips
50 squats (heels up like a calf raise)
50 push-ups (all variations)
50 chinnies

The 3 on, 1 off system is working wonders for me (with one light active rest day like today in the week).

JANUARY 13th

3 x 3 minute jump rope intervals (alternating 10 moderate-paced rotations and 10 sprint-paced rotations)

10 minutes of the following non-weighted GPP:
- 5 tuck jumps
- bearcrawl to other end of the room
- crabwalk back
- repeat as many times as possible

managed 26 circuits, or 130 tuck jumps. Going to blow that score away next week, atleast 160.

core circuit:
- chinnies x30
- knee hugs / med ball sit-ups x20
- v-ups x10
- supermans x10

repeat the core circuit 3 times.

Still pissed that I'm short on time lately and that I can't get any real sport-specific conditioning/skill work beyond constant shadowboxing throughout the day. Going to try and sneak in a run tommorow before work and either hit the weights or do some more conditioning later tonight.

Things I can't wait to get:
-sandbag
-new gloves
-my tyguns (in transit)

JANUARY 14th

Rest day today. I dropped and blasted through some light sets of OAPUs though, I feel great, I'm getting much stronger. Full body lifting tommorow.

I always wanted to ski-mask someone.

Well if Brandon finds the asshat who took his gloves, I'm up for a trip to Ontario, you up Chad? I'd have to dig to find my mask, ahh the memories.

JANUARY 15th

structure: one weighted movement (pull push or squat), one bodyweight movement as assistance exercise

3 x 3 minute rounds shadowboxing, all-out

pull:
4 sets powercleans
3 sets weighted chins

push:
4 sets overhead press
3 sets dips

squat:
4 sets back squats
burpee ladder 2,4,6,8,10,8,6,4,2

5 minutes of solid axe levering

By the way, if I find the little vagina who swiped my gloves, I`ll certainly sick you two on them. Hell, I`ll provide the ski-masks. P.S. Chad update your log man, it`s a good read.

Do you do roadwork Bro?

JANUARY 16th - active rest

3 x 3 minute rounds shadowboxing

push-up pyramid 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
squat pyramid 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
v-up pyramid 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

No rest til they're all done. 1 push-up, perform 1 squat, 1 v-up, 2 push-ups, 2 squats, 2 v-ups, etc.

core work:
15 leg raises
20 2-count chinnies
20 sit-ups + 2 punches at the top

x3

KK, my roadwork has been suffering for the past 2-3 weeks because I'm in the shitty slump of canadian winter right now where the roads are too slick for any distance work, hills have drifts to large for hill sprints, and sled dragging is just too easy on snow. Also, work hours have been fucking with my training alot lately. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks we'll thaw out and I'll get back to it.

JANUARY 17 + 18

Two lame rest days Spun my car out Tuesday night on the way to the gym thanks to the great North and our lovely canadian freezing rain showers. Car's out until tommorow at about noon.

20 minutes fartlek jump-rope warm-up
stretching, including "push-up contest" (so close to winning, but the damned featherweights were here tonight) and 50 partener leg throw downs
4 rounds shadowboxing
6 rounds heavybag

3 rounds of the following:
25 twisting med ball crunches
30 second left side plank
30 second right side plank

3 rounds uppercut bag
3 rounds focus mitts
2 rounds light shadowboxing cool-down (footwork emphasis)

Mike, one of our trainers, ran my ass into the ground with padwork tonight, I was close to puking a few times, had to grunt my way through the last round. Never relented, baby, I'm a warrior

JANUARY 20th

Volunteered as a sparring partener for some no-gi grappling. Wasn't too taxing, but I'm heading to the gym for a 10a.m. training session tommorow so I need to be fresh.

Back