Machidas fight with Romero

In terms of the changes in stance and fighting style, it's cus he's been training at Kings MMA. That place is detrimental to his style. He has always been a defensive counterstriker, training there has turned him into an offensive striker but he isn't tough enough nor can he hit hard enough to fight like that.

I agree. I understand he's trying to diversify his skillset with some MT training to complement his karate, but it's made a hybrid style that weakens the strengths of the individual styles. As great as his pure karate background has made him as a fighter, it has also hurt his ability to punch and kick through an opponent instead of just to make contact like in a karate tournament.

As others have said, in the recent years he's abandoned his karate heavy style for something more fan friendly. It's not a style he's as good at. Sure, he's still competitive to an extent but he's not elite with this style.

Time is certainly part of it but trying to reinvent his style at this level is a bigger part of the problem.

The older excuse doesn't really work here. Romero's older himself.

I agree people discredit the guy but he has been a monster in the UFC. Machida style changes as he counters wrestlers. Guys like Romero is hard to defend because he has such a high level wrestling base.

It was an awful match up from the get go. An accomplished Olympic wrestler (a genetic freak at that) vs an aging karate fighter with a questionable ground game. To Machida's defense, I think Romero will be the next MW champion.

Lol, Machida just gave Weidman still his hardest fight to date. Then he took out a gritty veteran with one kick in a minute.

Then he loses to 2 high level guys, and suddenly he is old, 5-6 years ago, blah blah blah. Internetz is nothing if not fickle.

Look after seeing Frank Mir and Arloski make career resurgences I definitely think Lyoto is more than capable of doing that. Still I just hope he kind of goes back to his old style a little bit more.(as cliche as that sounds) Do you think the damage from the Rockhold fight had an effect on his romero performance?

Look after seeing Frank Mir and Arloski make career resurgences I definitely think Lyoto is more than capable of doing that. Still I just hope he kind of goes back to his old style a little bit more.(as cliche as that sounds) Do you think the damage from the Rockhold fight had an effect on his romero performance?

Maybe, but I have to wonder if Machida's style lends itself to a late career resurgence? Being so dependent on speed and timing could make it difficult to utilize as an aging fighter. Boxing has many historical examples of that. It's certainly possible and Machida is a very smart fighter with great work ethic. Even if it doesn't work out, all fighter's careers come to an end at some point and that shouldn't take anything away from their accomplishments. Sometimes it's just difficult to watch as a fan. And sadly, MMA fans often seem to be ultra-critical of fighters on down slope of their career.

In terms of the changes in stance and fighting style, it's cus he's been training at Kings MMA. That place is detrimental to his style. He has always been a defensive counterstriker, training there has turned him into an offensive striker but he isn't tough enough nor can he hit hard enough to fight like that.

I agree, this agressive Chute Boxe like more fan friendly offensive style doesn't fit him at all..

And of course his aging doesn't help either, as like most fighters who relies on speed he is bond to decline very fast once his speed starts to go

Fighting years, not age years. Everyone peaks and declines at different times with outside influences.

Romero can't even move his neck side to side because of surgery, just fucked up his knee, and has been competing at an extremely high level since 1997. He is far from fresh.

Lol, Machida just gave Weidman still his hardest fight to date. Then he took out a gritty veteran with one kick in a minute.

Then he loses to 2 high level guys, and suddenly he is old, 5-6 years ago, blah blah blah. Internetz is nothing if not fickle.

Yeah, he just 50-45 Gegard only like a year before he fought Romero.

On the roids no 38 year old should look like he does. Weidman took out the last remaining elite fighter out of machida. We will have scrub killer machida for now on. Unless he can awaken the dragon that give us the shad face.

machida changed his style. his original style was VERY passive and ELUSIVE. the original machida would have been way more patient and not get ko'd but would have lost by decision or would have KO'D romero.

hes not fast enough at 185. When he fought at 205 he was pushing a significant speed advantage against most guys.

Back