Media Machida vs Carvalho and Neiman Gracie vs Ed Ruth are worth watching

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Machida vs Carvalho and Neiman Gracie vs Ed Ruth from Bellator 213 this weekend are both great fights to watch if you enjoy style vs style matchups.

Machida vs Carvalho is some classic shotokan karate vs kickboxer. Carvalho is both taller, longer reach, and younger than Machida. If you compare it to Machida vs Shogun I, you can really see what different levels of kickboxing looks like.

Neiman Gracie vs Ed Ruth is classic BJJ vs wrestling. Ruth is a three time Division I NCAA champion.

Both fights can easily be found online.

For those who really enjoy Machida's technique, here's some GIFs from the fight:
machida-carvalho-blitz.gif
machida-carvalho-counter.gif
machida-carvalho-trip.gif
carvalho-machida-blitz.gif

I assume there's some die-hard Machida fans here who may not have known he fought this weekend.
6NT6MWX.gif

no, machida vs carvalho is not worth watching. not much happened and lyoto is badly washed up. but neiman and ed ruth was not bad

lyoto should either retire or get a hold of crocop's PEDs because he's the only one looking reasonably good at 44 years old

no, machida vs carvalho is not worth watching. not much happened and lyoto is badly washed up. but neiman and ed ruth was not bad

lyoto should either retire or get a hold of crocop's PEDs because he's the only one looking reasonably good at 44 years old

There are a lot of people who don't enjoy watching Machida's early fights and a lot of people who do. I think it depends on whether you enjoy his unique strategy and technique which he has used time and time again to defeat bigger, stronger, and more athletically gifted opponents.

Here he is 40 years old 6 ft 1 and 74 inch reach fighting Carvalho, a former Bellator champion who is 32 years old 6 ft 3 and 78 inch reach. Any strategies and techniques that still allow the former to triumph over the latter is worth watching IMO, especially if you spar regularly. I am also very interested in seeing how Machida adapts his techniques as he gets slower with age.

If you're Just Bleed, then no the fight is probably not interesting to you. And no I don't think any fighter should take PEDs.

Last edited:
The Gracie/Ruth fight intrigued me the most. I tend to be biased towards bjj/judo instead of wrestling. But I realize wrestling can pose a huge problem to bjj players- particularly an elite wrestler with enormous strength and athleticism like ruth. That said, this fight proves that an elite wrestler can be stopped by an elite bjj player. When I see 2 guys like this go at it--> my first thought is the wrestler has to get lucky multiple times to either grind out a decision or land consecutive shots to the player on the bottom. But a bjj guy only has to get lucky once. That's ultimately what happened here. Brilliant grappling by both guys but ultimately Gracie defended his family name.

Gracie looked decent in his stand up too. Had that fight went to decision idk who would have won. You could argue Gracie was posing more of a threat from bottom than ruth on top--not sure how the judges scored the 1st few rounds though

I was underwhelmed by Ruth tbh. With all the hype behind him I expected him to look a lot better than he did.

Lyoto looked good but very timid. He is a very talented grappler and needs to lean on that more now that his reflexes are slowing down. He will get KO'd by Mousasi if he tries his typical shotokan shtick.

Fuck Bellator with this DAZN bullshit. Everything should air on Paramount.

I thought both fights kinda sucked. Ed Ruth looked like shit after big John called him the next Jon Jones.

Gracie vs Ruth was clearly the fight of the weekend. Watching it now.

Ruth was so over hyped by sherdoggers lmao. He had no buisiness being in that tournament.

Machida vs Carvalho and Neiman Gracie vs Ed Ruth from Bellator 213 this weekend are both great fights to watch if you enjoy style vs style matchups.

Machida vs Carvalho is some classic shotokan karate vs kickboxer. Carvalho is both taller, longer reach, and younger than Machida. If you compare it to Machida vs Shogun I, you can really see what different levels of kickboxing looks like.

Neiman Gracie vs Ed Ruth is classic BJJ vs wrestling. Ruth is a three time Division I NCAA champion.

Both fights can easily be found online.

For those who really enjoy Machida's technique, here's some GIFs from the fight:
View attachment 488725
View attachment 488727
View attachment 488729
View attachment 488731

Those are very good fights. Better than the other UFC card

I know the fight doesn't make much sense from a rankings standpoint, but I want Lyoto Machida vs Hisaki Kato goddamnit! I'm not even sure if Kato is still with Bellator, but Coker would be a fool not to make that match.

I've always wanted to see two high-level karate practitioners in the cage.

SkinnyOldfashionedAttwatersprairiechicken-size_restricted.gif

I know the fight doesn't make much sense from a rankings standpoint, but I want Lyoto Machida vs Hisaki Kato goddamnit! I'm not even sure if Kato is still with Bellator, but Coker would be a fool not to make that match.

I've always wanted to see two high-level karate practitioners in the cage.

SkinnyOldfashionedAttwatersprairiechicken-size_restricted.gif
If they ever do a Japan card that would be a bomb headliner.

Carvalho vs. Machida sucked ass
Ruth was so over hyped by sherdoggers lmao. He had no buisiness being in that tournament.
Couldn't it be the case of Neiman being just that good? Lol shertards refuse to give a Gracie credit

Carvalho vs. Machida sucked ass

Couldn't it be the case of Neiman being just that good? Lol shertards refuse to give a Gracie credit

Neiman looked very good, but Ruth was also very underwhelming for so much hype placed on him.

Back