Machida shows how effective traditionnal Karate is

2:37~2:42 is ridiculous.

If we are just talking about Shotokan vs. Muay Thai, I've heard that Shotokan is inferior. Also MMA has gloves, whereas Shotokan... I don't know. Hm...

But, I think those Karatekas in the video might have success in MMA or anything if they can apply clinch game, more striking combos, boxing, wrestling TDD, and BJJ guard techniques to their mastery. They already have speed, quickness, mental and physical toughness, cardio (probably), various techniques (one-shot-one-kill, general striking), footwork/distance, timing, and really good kick controls/balance.

With all this in mind, I wouldn't want to fuck around with any of the guys in the video. I think, some of the fighters currently in the UFC might get their asses handed back to them by some of the Karatekas in the video.

The main reason why Machida achieved success was speed, good footwork and excellent reflexes. With those qualities, he could be a boxer and achieve the same success.

Of course, Shotokan and TMA in general got good things that could be used in MMA. But it should always be noted that there are other shotokan-based fighters out there, and none of them came even close to Machida.

So what you're saying is that if high level fighters used karate they too would be successful?

Guess that means karate is good, but its main practitioners are poor athletes.

You mean this Andy Hug? Pleaes don't touch my face Andy Hug?

K-1 strikers regardless of their base still have to learn Muay Thai to gain a level playing field.

You're actually taking Diego Brandao into this equation? Jesus mary and christmas! You're the greatest cherry picker here. Diego's base is BJJ NOT Muay Thai.
You're like a karatedo fanboy that just wants the illusion to never stop.

I repeat, it is rare for Karate to actually make a break through. Even Pettis who had a TKD base had to learn Muay Thai and boxing. Look at what a Muay Thai centered training in RDA, Cordeiro trained, did to Pettis.

Pure Karate rarely works in a professional setting. Machida is an anomaly and he still got wrecked by sloppy strikers.

No, an effective style is an effective style. Go train Dee Mak or Mount Shaolin flying fuck fist and see if you can survive in a boxing or Muay Thai gym.

Lol, you call me a cherry picker, yet you're the one making excuses for other fighters that have CLEARLY used Muay Thai as their striking style and lost. You're being childish. EVERY high level martial artist understands that one should never be too fanatical about any single style. The FIGHTER makes the style. And I have trained with boxers; that doesn't mean my "style" is boxing, get what I mean?

And to be clear, I appreciate ALL martial styles. Like I've said a million times before. A martial system is simply a tool set. It does not "make" the fighter. I don't dislike Muay Thai at all. I'm a big fan of Baukaw por Pramuk as well as Sanchaei. I'm also a big fan of "Wonderboy" Thompson (Kenpo) and Gunnar Nelson (Goju Ryu) and the legendary Mas Oyama.

It's all about adapting your style to any situation. That's what good martial artists do, REGARDLESS of style. This is what Bruce Lee was referring to, when he said "Be like water...".

And who the fuck said anything about "Dee Mak"? Is that a chinese singer? lol

All styles can work, and have their own applications. There are plenty of examples of Karate and TKD demonstrating their strengths and utility. The popular fighters showing this now are Pettis, McGregor, and Steven Thompson. Sure Pettis lost to RDA, it wasn't like it was a PURE striking battle (though RDA touched him up on the feet).

I believe head kicks and body kicks to be better in karate, I however think Karate's inexperience in leg kicks are weakness (speaking from experience training in Muay Thai gyms... I was not used to having my legs kicked).

Lol, you call me a cherry picker, yet you're the one making excuses for other fighters that have CLEARLY used Muay Thai as their striking style and lost. You're being childish. EVERY high level martial artist understands that one should never be too fanatical about any single style. The FIGHTER makes the style. And I have trained with boxers; that doesn't mean my "style" is boxing, get what I mean?

And to be clear, I appreciate ALL martial styles. Like I've said a million times before. A martial system is simply a tool set. It does not "make" the fighter. I don't dislike Muay Thai at all. I'm a big fan of Baukaw por Pramuk as well as Sanchaei. I'm also a big fan of "Wonderboy" Thompson (Kenpo) and Gunnar Nelson (Goju Ryu) and the legendary Mas Oyama.

It's all about adapting your style to any situation. That's what good martial artists do, REGARDLESS of style. This is what Bruce Lee was referring to, when he said "Be like water...".

And who the fuck said anything about "Dee Mak"? Is that a chinese singer? lol

Jesus, you're really stuck in your philisophy aren't you? You still won't admit that you cherry picked and made your references like an idiot. You argue like a 13 year old. He actually considered Brandao, a Jiu Jitsu fighter, as a Muay Thai fighter. Now you're backtracking with your "I train with boxers but my style isn't boxing, UNDERSTAND?" :icon_chee

MMA and K1 has proven time and again that traditional Karate doesn't work and all those who have it as their base still need to learn Muay Thai and Boxing.

Look at GSP. He has a Karate base then realized it wasn't enough. Now he flies over Muay Thai trainers from Thailand, learns boxing with Roach and improved his wrestling to the point that he outclasses his opponents that themselves have a wrestling base.

You also can't read properly and have reading comprehension issues when I clearly said in my previous post that a combination of Muay Thai and boxing is the more effective rather than just a pure Karate base.

You're too damn adamant in your "It's in the fighter, not the art" philosophy.

You only need to look at the Samurais in this respect. They were better soldiers and warriors in comparison with the peasant soldiers but when matchlocks made their way into Japan, the great Samurai fell in droves to simple farmers. Arming yourself with outdated and irrelevant techniques will always end badly.

I bet you think Shaolin monks are effective in a fight!

The fact that the UFC was created so the Gracies could show that their BJJ was that much better than most traditional martial arts should clue you in. If you're a real fan of MMA you would've understood by now that it was meant to showcase styles and which ones would the most effective. Time and again, as I and everyone else have mentioned, traditional Martial arts just don't work that well.

Karate fighters have been doing very well as of late, it's all about that use of distance and their timing. Prime Machida was so damn good at just avoiding all damage, while being active and mixing up different strikes and trips and takedowns with that same timing. Now you see Conor, Gunnar, Thompson, Horiguchi, and others using karate and carrying on the legacy.

Karate fighters have been doing very well as of late, it's all about that use of distance and their timing. Prime Machida was so damn good at just avoiding all damage, while being active and mixing up different strikes and trips and takedowns with that same timing. Now you see Conor, Gunnar, Thompson, Horiguchi, and others using karate and carrying on the legacy.

Exactly!

Jesus, you're really stuck in your philisophy aren't you? You still won't admit that you cherry picked and made your references like an idiot. You argue like a 13 year old. He actually considered Brandao, a Jiu Jitsu fighter, as a Muay Thai fighter. Now you're backtracking with your "I train with boxers but my style isn't boxing, UNDERSTAND?" :icon_chee

MMA and K1 has proven time and again that traditional Karate doesn't work and all those who have it as their base still need to learn Muay Thai and Boxing.

Look at GSP. He has a Karate base then realized it wasn't enough. Now he flies over Muay Thai trainers from Thailand, learns boxing with Roach and improved his wrestling to the point that he outclasses his opponents that themselves have a wrestling base.

You also can't read properly and have reading comprehension issues when I clearly said in my previous post that a combination of Muay Thai and boxing is the more effective rather than just a pure Karate base.

You're too damn adamant in your "It's in the fighter, not the art" philosophy.

You only need to look at the Samurais in this respect. They were better soldiers and warriors in comparison with the peasant soldiers but when matchlocks made their way into Japan, the great Samurai fell in droves to simple farmers. Arming yourself with outdated and irrelevant techniques will always end badly.

I bet you think Shaolin monks are effective in a fight!

The fact that the UFC was created so the Gracies could show that their BJJ was that much better than most traditional martial arts should clue you in. If you're a real fan of MMA you would've understood by now that it was meant to showcase styles and which ones would the most effective. Time and again, as I and everyone else have mentioned, traditional Martial arts just don't work that well.

Good lord, you're being ignorant, lol. When did I backtrack? You completely missed the point of my boxing comment... it flew right over your head; I've said time and time again, ALL styles have to mix together and make the individual fighter the BETTER ALL AROUND fighter. You keep bringing up Brandao as if that's the ONLY example I used, lol. I used several different examples. Want another example? Anthony Pettis crushed, Cowboy Cerrone. Are you gonna act like Cerrone didn't have YEARS of Muay Thai experience? How about another one?

Mike Winkeljohn, one of the most well known striking coach in MMA, has a ton of experience in Kenpo karate (he used to kickbox in PKA competition back in the day.) Does that mean that his knowledge is useless? Clearly no, because he's helped a shit ton of fighters improve their skills. Or are you gonna pretend like he's a pure Muay Thai coach?

Why do you think guys like Conor have been so successful? Because he understands that the more creative and unorthodox a martial artist is, the more dangerous he can be. The gracies started getting their ass kicked because for years they were too close minded to learn any other arts. It happens to all martial artists at times; when you think you know everything about martial arts, you become stagnant in your growth as a fighter.

Brandon Vera was a huge prospect for Muay Thai as an MMA fighter, and he had excellent coaches. He didn't exactly become a legendary champion, did he?

According to your logic, that must mean Muay Thai is garbage. See how stupid that sounds? Once again, it's up to the FIGHTER to make skills come alive. Timing, distance, sparring, footwork, and drilling are important factors in ALL martial arts, regardless of style.

By the way, I don't know why you keep bringing up Shaolin Monks. We were talking about Karate in MMA, not Shaolin monks (that's a whole other massive topic to cover, and has nothing to do with the current topic at hand.)

Good luck in your training, you're only hurting yourself if you keep a closed mind.

If machida was a durable guy he would have held the belt for much longer

Good lord, you're being ignorant, lol. When did I backtrack? You completely missed the point of my boxing comment... it flew right over your head; I've said time and time again, ALL styles have to mix together and make the individual fighter the BETTER ALL AROUND fighter. You keep bringing up Brandao as if that's the ONLY example I used, lol. I used several different examples. Want another example? Anthony Pettis crushed, Cowboy Cerrone. Are you gonna act like Cerrone didn't have YEARS of Muay Thai experience? How about another one?

Mike Winkeljohn, one of the most well known striking coach in MMA, has a ton of experience in Kenpo karate (he used to kickbox in PKA competition back in the day.) Does that mean that his knowledge is useless? Clearly no, because he's helped a shit ton of fighters improve their skills. Or are you gonna pretend like he's a pure Muay Thai coach?

Why do you think guys like Conor have been so successful? Because he understands that the more creative and unorthodox a martial artist is, the more dangerous he can be. The gracies started getting their ass kicked because for years they were too close minded to learn any other arts. It happens to all martial artists at times; when you think you know everything about martial arts, you become stagnant in your growth as a fighter.

Brandon Vera was a huge prospect for Muay Thai as an MMA fighter, and he had excellent coaches. He didn't exactly become a legendary champion, did he?

According to your logic, that must mean Muay Thai is garbage. See how stupid that sounds? Once again, it's up to the FIGHTER to make skills come alive. Timing, distance, sparring, footwork, and drilling are important factors in ALL martial arts, regardless of style.

By the way, I don't know why you keep bringing up Shaolin Monks. We were talking about Karate in MMA, not Shaolin monks (that's a whole other massive topic to cover, and has nothing to do with the current topic at hand.)

Good luck in your training, you're only hurting yourself if you keep a closed mind.

GO to sleep. You're wrong and can't admit it. You constantly backtrack and cherry pick to try and win an argument that you can't even coherently defend.

GO to sleep. You're wrong and can't admit it. You constantly backtrack and cherry pick to try and win an argument that you can't even coherently defend.

How am I wrong? Where am I "constantly backtracking"? I backed up my statements with evidence and plenty of examples (fighters and coaches).

You're fully entitled to your opinion (it's the internet... everyone's got an opinion lol). But you should stop acting like everything you say is gospel or universal truth. It's only subjective.

Peace.

No.

We've had this time and again. Anytime any other striking art fights against Muay Thai they get wrecked.

Muay Thai is just that much better.

Karate can work but eve Shogun's sloppy Muay Thai was able to overwhelm Machida's Karate.

I'm sorry but this is not only inaccurate but borders on the ridiculous. Semmy Schilt is a BB in Ashihara Karate and he defeated plenty of Muay Thai fighters during his reign over K-1. And before you bring up his size and use that as an excuse for his success you should keep in mind that he was defeated by Badr Hari (muay Thai fighter) even though Semmy is bigger and possibly stronger than Hari. I bring that up to remind you that skill still has to be looked at and given proper notice for the failure or success of fighters.

I can also tell you that Nicu Dasculu and Alexander Lavrushin (both of whom are Ashihara Karate fighters) have beaten Muay Thai fighters in the ring as well.

Going back to the theme of this thread I still say that point sparring sucks. I'm a full contact guy. But I will say that point fighting does help in honing timing, accuracy and distancing. If TS is impressed with hardcore Shotokan Karate he may be as equally impressed with a Shotokan derivative known as Gosoku Ryu. Gosuku Ryu means "Hard Fast Style" and there is very little difference between this style and the style that it comes from (Shotokan).

[YT]V5tHkcAhk9M[/YT]

Not very effective once you get put on your back, apparently. Or put in a headlock.

This does not mean that the art itself is ineffective, it only means that the practitioner of said art is sorely lacking in grappling and ground fighting. A purist Muay Thai fighter or boxer who have no grappling training would be just as ineffective if he is put on his back or put in a headlock.

By the way, a common (and I would say correct) observation made by some as to why Muay Thai is more successful than Traditional Karate in the mma cage is that Muay Thai is inherently a full contact art and sport. This is why I think Kyokushin and derivative styles are good styles and don't seem to have the glaring weaknesses that the point sparring styles have because they (like muay Thai) are inherently full contact fighting styles. Especially Daido Juku. Daido Juku is awesome!!!!!!!!

And speaking of Daido Juku in the context of this thread I have to bring up a very recent example of a Karate fighter soundly defeating a Muay Thai fighter when Hisaki Kato (Daido Juku) knocked out Joe Schilling (Muay Thai) in Bellator 139.

Last edited:

Good call. There's also Javier Mendez of the American Kickboxing Academy. He's a Korean stylist (TKD and TSD) and former American style kickboxer. In fact, if I'm not mistaken Javier Mendez was the first stand up artist mma fighters went to in order to hone their stand up skills back in the very early years of the UFC. I think he started the trend of professional mma fighters seeking out striking trainers.

Back