Machida Love

Jesus Freak

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I contemplated asking my fellow Sherdoggers why The Dragon's getting so much hate as of late, but instead of heading down a negative route, I figured I'd make a thread were my bretheren can voice their appreciation for the former UFC LHW Champion, and potentially our next UFC MW Champ!

My personal thoughts:

Machida introduced a fighting style which was quite foreign within the sport of MMA...we now see a handful of fighters with similar styles/stances/strategies. When we see those fighters in action, one immediately compares their style to Machida's.

Yes, Machida's style has the potential to be a blessing and a curse. But to complain about Machida's elusive style would be no different than to complain about fighters whose forte is wrestling, and who tend to blanket their way to a "W".

Machida's record speaks for itself (wins and lossess): He's fought the cream of the crop. He's been successfull, and he's been demolished. Either way, the level of competition he's faced is undoubtedly notable.

Machida is a class act! Even when Machida speaks "negatively" about an opponent, it sounds forced, as if he's reading a cue card. The man is gracious in victory and defeat.

I admire anyone who steps inside a cage to get lumped up, but let's not disregard the fact that we all have our favorite fighter, much like our favorite football or baseball team. I've been a fan of Machida since his debut in the UFC, and no other fighter has evoked more passion in me than The Dragon. Needless to say, I would love to see his hand raised in victory, and the gold strap around his waist once again come July 5th.

Just in case he happens to stumble across this thread, let him feel the love, Brothers!

For me it's his fans mostly. Kind of annoying, although not the most annoying fanbase on Sherdog by a LONG SHOT (Anderson/Penn/Diaz/Shogun/Wand/Nog fans are all worse). Most people probably dislike him because they think he's boring and sometimes wins close decisions.

I do love Machida though. Very few people are so successful at combining angles/footwork/feints/distance as well as he does. He's an absolute joy to watch fight imo and every young martial artist should watch him. You can learn something different from every single one of his fights.

Also, unpopular opinion, I thought he beat Shogun. Although, that was a very close fight and easily could have been a draw (or go to Shogun).

i honestly didnt like to watch him fight. Now i will almost always watch him fight, idk why but hes grown on me. but i still want vitor to be champ :'(

Machida is a fucking boss. So smart and classy, just a great fighter.

Only been finished by Bones and Shogun. His losses against Rampage and Mr. Wonderful were so close he shouldn't have lost them really. I think Phil Davis only won because he got a takedown at the end of each round. Quinton Jackson himself said he got his ass whooped.

The first Shogun fight was close but I agree Shogun probably won it.

Either way Machida is a great fighter and there is no doubt in my mind he's gonna be much more competitive at 185 than at 205. That's a 20 pound weight difference and I don't think Machida really cut much weight at all to get to 205. Can't wait for the Weidman fight, I have to give Weidman a slight edge to be honest, but I'm hoping Machida can dance around him to a decision or even TKO him, which is unlikely.

I think he will tool Weidman.

Just hope he doesn't get Phil Davis'd again

I always watch that crazy peedrinker. Awesome technique. His timing, his footwork, all of it.
Killed me to see Jones choke him standing, but it was a legit badass finish.
For some reason I always want Lyoto to win.

war the dragon. Unique style and very unpredictable. Love to watch this guy work. Except vs moussassi ofc...

Love the guy.

Total Budo lifestyle since childhood.

Only issue is he could stand to be more aggressive. The Davis fight was poor judging combined with ridiculous judging. But he could have been more aggressive. Similar with rampage but judging not as bad.

Makes karate cool and shows it's not just for strip malls as the Shertards seem to think.

I try to emulate his style but I'm only me.

I buy every ppv he's on.

i honestly didnt like to watch him fight. Now i will almost always watch him fight, idk why but hes grown on me. but i still want vitor to be champ :'(

I'm with you on this one. Initially, I was not a big fan with his seemingly backing up and running style (I admit I was wrong in my initial assessment of his style) and after the Rashad fight (I'm a big fan of Rashad as well), I was impressed with his aggression and how he fired at Rashad with those power punches (this was my turning point fight). I too definitely like the Dragon's demeanor and attitude...he is a really likable guy. With that said...I second your vote for Vitor to be champ! :)

He is my favorite fighter. I'll be cheering for him again Weidman. As always, War Dragon!

One of my all time favourites.

A mesmerizing style. I can see why some can find it boring, but to each is own.
Always respectful (the end of the Munoz fight was a prime example) and is unanimously respected by his fellow fighters.
Has one of the best highlight reels in the UFC.
Pulled off a fucking crane kick!
Grow up like JCVD in Blood Sport.
Has an awesome voice.
Recycles water.
Is easy on the eyes (not that I personal care, but I can see why it helps his popularity).

"I've been around and I understand the business. At my age now, there is less pressure. There is always pressure to perform, but I don't worry about losing so much now. I just want to go out there and perform the best way that I can."

War Dragon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back