Machida is the most overrated striker

The TS is hating a little bit but there is some truth to what he says too.

Machida is a good striker. He has a difficult style but as a counter striker he fundamentally depends on the other guy pressing the action. He evades and moves back and engages as little as possible and waits for his moment to counter. His low volume of strikes makes his margin of error very slim.

Now where the ts has a point is all we hear on sherdog after a machida victory is " how amazing he is. How technical how fantastic" etc. we never hear about the other guy who made the fight by coming forward to actually fight. Now where it gets hypocritical is when you think of two fights in particular...rampage and Davis

Those were two fights where the opponent didn't chase machida and what did we hear? "Rampage/Phil didn't engage or they didn't come to fight" think about machidas style and read some of those threads after those two fights...it's really amazing to read scream bloody murder about someone not rushing to engage machida. Phil Davis specifically beat him at his own game.

Now we finally have a guy who gets what I am saying. Notice I never once stated that Machida isn't a very good striker and highly talented. I just stated he was overrated which has to do with the "ga ga" stuff that people say when he gets these big knockouts. But he gets them against guys like Dollaway, Munoz, and Bader who plunge forward and play right into his game. When he fights guys that don't do that or are very dangerous he just keeps a distance and runs when they engage a little.

I never once said he wasn't a highly talented.

I'll admit that I came on strong with the thread title and the initial post, so I'll take the flack and the insults for that. It doesn't make a lot of what I said not true though.

There is some truth to it, because a lot of people still think Machida will totally outclass a good striker like Rockhold.

I dont think he would outclass rockhold. Luke kicks hard and is a huge MW. I dont know how the guy makes 185, he's got the frame of a 205er

People love to bring up the bader ko. Good clean strike and all that... But right before that ko the crowd was booing because literally it was a staring contest as neither were engaging

Just saying

People love to bring up the bader ko. Good clean strike and all that... But right before that ko the crowd was booing because literally it was a staring contest as neither were engaging

Just saying

I don't remember that. I felt that was the best Machida has ever looked in any fight. I got excited for that and felt like Machida was really coming into his own again and was going to become much greater. Bader practically begs people to knock him out though. A guy like Machida is a match up nightmare for Bader.

Shortly after that, he went right back to that weird evading the fight stuff in the Hendo fight though, and it was so disappointing. It was a huge let down.

I'm patiently waiting for one of you to answer the question of what highly dangerous striker he has put away?

Weidman?? Lol! You think Weidman is a dangerous striker? Weidman is a great all around fighter with a shit ton of balls, but he isn't a great striker. However he beat Machida any way doing it with striking.

I know you're a terrible troll, but Weidmann is a phenomenal striker, please step your trolling level up from amoeba, son. At this point you're just sad

2013-07-06-uf.jpg

2013-07-06-uf.jpg

2013-07-06-uf.jpg

Wait for it..

2013-07-06-uf.jpg

I know you're a terrible troll, but Weidmann is a phenomenal striker, please step your trolling level up from amoeba, son. At this point you're just sad

I'm sorry, but your insults don't prove anything other than the fact that you can bash people.

When you aren't to lazy to to refute anything that has been discussed, then I might take you seriously.

I didn't trash Weidman. I gave him a ton of compliments. But if you think that Weidman is a high level striker, then you have no business discussing this.

High level strikers are guys like Barboza, Cowboy, Pettis, Vitor, Anderson, Machida (But he is still overrated because he runs), Aldo, Conor.

Weidman is not on the level of these guys. He KO'd Anderson because Anderson acted like a clown and deserved it. He didn't go in there and use any sort of high level Mui Thai that confused Anderson to where he had no idea how to defend himself.

Just saying
No, it wasn't. Machida was lighting Bader up leading up to the knock out.

Bader charged in because it was his only option, he was getting picked apart and was going to lose the fight regardless, so he decided to go for the Hail Mary and Machida put him down.

Well I'm glad that you are enjoying it, but recognize one thing.

Not one of you has explained or even slightly admitted that Machida has had fluky performances and let down a ton of fans in those fights I have mentioned.

You guys asked who had better striking, and yet I brought up several names. Some of that ay be arguable, but I haven't heard one solid answer of a great striker that Machida has taken apart.

He decisioned Mousasi, and wasn't really impressive. Jacare killed Mousasi, but yet he isn't comparable? What would Machida do against Okami? Probably run from him honestly. Jacare blasted Okami.

And I'd love to hear how Machida is better than Vitor when Vitor has KO'd every fighter in the UFC that he has fought not named Jones and Anderson. Vitor hasn't had one fluky performance since the days his sister was kidnapped, yet you guys constantly bash him.

And I'm the troll? GTFO.

LOL @ how mad you are getting.

I'm sorry, but your insults don't prove anything other than the fact that you can bash people.

When you aren't to lazy to to refute anything that has been discussed, then I might take you seriously.

I didn't trash Weidman. I gave him a ton of compliments. But if you think that Weidman is a high level striker, then you have no business discussing this.

High level strikers are guys like Barboza, Cowboy, Pettis, Vitor, Anderson, Machida (But he is still overrated because he runs), Aldo, Conor.

Weidman is not on the level of these guys. He KO'd Anderson because Anderson acted like a clown and deserved it. He didn't go in there and use any sort of high level Mui Thai that confused Anderson to where he had no idea how to defend himself.

Weidmans striking is extremely high level. His judge of distance and timing, while being defensive as well is out standing. He isn't flashy, and works with the basics, but those he has mastered.
The fact that you think Vitor is a better striker than Weidman, is absolutely hilarious and proves you have 0 clue what you're talking about. You do realize Weidman easily won the striking in both Anderson fights, and against Machida right? Why do you think Anderson started clowning in the first place? Because Weidman gave him nothing on the feet. He couldnt hit him with anything at all, except a couple of legkicks. You're an MMA Pleb.

Come on man. Silva was owning Weidman, and I'm no Silva fan at all. Can't stand Silva, but Weidman had nothing for Anderson. He KO'd Anderson, because Anderson went into full "clown" mode and douche bagged himself into a knockout. Before that, when he was semi serious he was kicking and moving on Weidman at will.

Weidman is just a horse to me personally. He is big, he is strong, and he has a chin. He also has some serious balls on him. I don't think he is a great striker at all though, and I'd say that Machida is much better even though he lost to him.

Than you know nothing about boxing. Any guy who knows anything about standup, will tell you, Weidman is a great striker. Yes he was having a little trouble with Anderson's kicks the first fight but other than that Andy couldn't touch him, he still walked him down and put leather on him and found that chin (Uriah Hall said that is the same punch that put him down against Weidman, saying the angle throws you off and Anderson didn't see it coming). Than in their second go he walked him down again and dropped him with ease in close. He literally walked Machida down the whole fight landing at will. His boxing is top notch, not to mention his perfectly time elbows. His timing and anticipation is verrrrry good

Three good MMA strikers he defeated were MacDonald, Franklin, and Mousasi.

Fail.

Guys, don't feed him.. This clown started this thread with pure bashing intent.

So there are better strikers than Machida fought ? Oh noes, that's horrible even to think about that !

I feel like it's been a while since we had a decent Machida hate thread.

If he's overrated then Anderson is even moreso

Lets be honest when you see a thread like this you know its been posted by an Anderson fanboy.

The reality is that Anderson simply didn't test himself to the degree Machida did before Weidman destroyed him, Shogun in 09/10 and Jones especially were/are a better striker than anyone Silva fought prior to The Chris.

Machida's key strength of course is the ability to defend the takedown AND stay dangerous standing, something Anderson has always had trouble with.

Back