Machado school vs. Gracie School

Cryme Fighter

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I have Zero experience in jiu jitsu and am planning to start taking classes this week or next week. I have a black belt in Karate (I go 2-3 times a week) and wrestled some in high school, but want to improve my ground game, which at this point is honestly nonexistent. Where I live, there are a few bjj schools nearby. There is a Rigan Machado sponsored school that is a 15 minute drive, and is tought by a 3rd degree black belt. There is also a Relson Gracie sponsored school that is a little farther away (about 30 minutes) in a different town tought by a brown belt. Does anyone have (a) any information on the difference b/w Machado run schools vs. Gracie type schools, and/or (b) which school might be a better bet? I possibly hope to do some kind of competitive bjj at some point but am also conscious of the idea that I may have to use jiu jitsu on the streets if my karate doesn't do the job. I plan on doing both the karate and the bjj simultaneously (karate 2-3 times a week and bjj 2-3 times a week) and work full-time. I would appreciate any suggestions/feedback. Thanks.

Do you live in Charleston, SC?

I'd go with the Machado 3rd degree BB. Also, karate sucks (unless you're at a good Kyokushin school, which is rare) - quit that bullshit and double your BJJ classes.

Last edited:
Yes, very observant of you.

My first school ever was the Relson school. After a year I moved away. When I visit I drop in at the Machado school.

If you want self-defense, go to the Relson school. If you want a more well-rounded view of BJJ with sport elements, go to the Machado school.

Try both to see which school is a better fit for your needs.

Thanks for the info. I agree that most karate styles are not as hardcore as kyokushin, but I think a lot also depends on the individual. I'd like to stay proficient in a striking art, and learn the art of jiu jitsu, without taking mma classes.

Who are the actual instructors, and what are the actual schools?

One is called Rigan Machado Jiu Jitsu of Charleston, SC at a fitness center called Arts for Fitness. The head instructor there is Professor Ricardo Medina. The other is Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy. The head instructor there is Jerry Brewer.

If I were you I'd take allot into consideration, I think they would both be able to teach you the same basic fundamentals since your new to bjj.. Try out both schools and see which one you like more.

I think I will try the Machado school first. If it's friendly enough and seems legit, I'll probably stick with that one since it's closer. I think the most I would be able to go per week is 3 times (2 regular classes and 1 open mat) since I'm working. Is this enough training?

especially since you work a full time job and also train in karate, don't underestimate the fact that the machado one is closer.

---

Last edited:
One is called Rigan Machado Jiu Jitsu of Charleston, SC at a fitness center called Arts for Fitness. The head instructor there is Professor Ricardo Medina. The other is Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy. The head instructor there is Jerry Brewer.

Are you sure these guys are still teaching? I thought these guys were closed up years ago.

The Machado's are the Gracies cousins. Very similar, although Gracies from Helio's line, concentrate more street self defense and MMA. The Machado's are geared more towards competition.

Are you sure these guys are still teaching? I thought these guys were closed up years ago.
I called the Machado place and they seem to be up and running. I haven't been able to find a current website for the Gracie place though.

Back