Machado Belts

No it wasnt taken away, i think it was physically given to him by Royler (since he was in Brazil at the time) but probably as a joint promote by the Gracie Academy or on behalf of Rorion.

I think Kukuk and Rorion later fell out either over fees or over Rorion "holding techniques back" (both ave been claimed over the web.

He then went under Renzo but obviously they too fell out and he now teaches in Boise Idaho. His website mentions no Gracie names at all.

That isn't a 100% accurate list either, there is no definitive dirty dozen list that was an early WIP to try to define it.

How do one "holds back" techniques from a BB? that sounds utter TMA rubbish.

I can see Rorion fooling a blue belt but by purple i presume you can already understand why stuff works and what its BS and what's legit.

Maybe he didnt wanted to teach the five pointed palm heart exploding technique.

I heard J W Machado gives them out easy. Dont know about the others

I did hear of one of Caique's black belts discussing this issue with a Machado. The Caique black belt talked it over with the Machado brother at a tournament recently. The CBB brought up a point of guys within the affiliation giving out belts. Now I'm not sure if this Caique affiliate is the one everyone else is talking about, but he is the only one I know of that has addressed belts within Machado affiliations. It's not so much the Machado brothers giving out belts easily, it's people within their affiliation.

I have no stake in the matter but your last point isn't accurate. I recall the Caique blackbelt posting on another forum some time ago that: a well known blackbelt came over here and gave a black belt to a complete can.

That's more or less how he began his complaint and it was directed against the Machados rather than their affiliates.

I trained w/ a Machado purple belt about 5 years ago. He was all of 140 lbs and a BEAST

Popcorn. Wow some nice drama here.

Well for the situation in E Mich, I guess rouge guys can mess up things for an entire situation. What if I got my BB, and then I started just handing out belts? What would my association do? Turn over all my promotions? Hard to call, esp if it's only a few cases.

I trained with Carlos Machado for a brief time, and have many friends that still train with him, your friend is incorrect.

A Carlos Machado belt is what every other academy in Dallas compares their belts to. Though he does not put emphasis on tournaments.

p.s. This is a stupid thread. But I'm sure you are more than welcome to walk into Carlos' academy and see how the belts stack up :D

BS.....Machado does not hand out belts like candy. I train under a Jean Jacques Machado affiliate and we receive our belts directly from Jean Jacques when we receive a belt promotion. It took my over 3 years to get my blue belt training 3 days a week and I had placed in 5 of 7 tournaments and had won a couple before I was promoted to Blue belt. In my first tournament as a blue belt I got a broze medal and beat both a 2 and a 3 stripe blue from another school in the process. This is just my experience and I can tell you first hand when you roll with a blue at JJM they're good. The purples are on a whole nother level and you'll know it when you go against them. The browns and blacks will just toy with you. Your friend is dearly mistaken and I'm not just saying that because I attend there, I've competed against many other schools.

I think the term "Machado Black Belt" is pretty vague. There are five brothers with different criteria for black belt, probably different criteria for each person. That makes for a wide range of possibilities. This thread definitely seems to be the Machado association in Michigan. I've rolled with many Machado black belts, here in SoCal, some were obviously better than others but none of them were undeserving.

How do one "holds back" techniques from a BB? that sounds utter TMA rubbish.

I can see Rorion fooling a blue belt but by purple i presume you can already understand why stuff works and what its BS and what's legit.

Maybe he didnt wanted to teach the five pointed palm heart exploding technique.

You need to think back to pre-Internet and books/instructional dvd's period. Yes, you can hold back a lot of knowledge regardless of belt. He probably went to train elsewhere and saw a bunch of things he's never seen before.

Ive rolled with a certain Black Belt here in So. Cal who got his Belt from one of the brothers, and he was less than impressive. I shouldnt have been able to do some of the things i did with him.

He was an older guy, and i dont believe he's ever competed, but nonetheless, i was less than impressed.

Ive rolled with a certain Black Belt here in So. Cal who got his Belt from one of the brothers, and he was less than impressive. I shouldnt have been able to do some of the things i did with him.

He was an older guy, and i dont believe he's ever competed, but nonetheless, i was less than impressed.

let me guess.

the guy was given his BB for having run an affiliate program for around 5-7 years?

my instructor got his BB from Rigan after getting his blue/purple from Relson and Brown from Papa John. He's a beast, every affiliation/school outside of a main academy is going to have someone who probably doesn't deserve a belt. I don't really see a reason to judge the "Machados" based on this. Go down to Brazil and see how many black belts there are, do you think every single one of these black belts is god status? I doubt it, some are probably very good instructors though.

I know of an Machado black belt that took 14 years to get his BB. Doesn't sound like easy belt to me.

Caique must have said why? Was it because Ryan doesn't compete at tournaments?

Which Caique BB had a problem with which promotions? (I realize you might not wanna get into this second one.)

I'm asking sincere questions here. I have no problems with whatever the truth is, I just feel like if you're saying something anyway, then say it. What are some people's issue with Ryan? Someone thinks he made some easy promotions. Anything else?

The problem with all this innuendo and "I heard" (not referring to your post, McBain) is you end up with blanket statements about "the whole Eastern Michigan Machado" blah blah blah, which is lazy at best.

I am not bias either way just want to present some evidence to this arguement. We dont even know if the Caique BB was talking about Ryan. From what i know he was awarded his BB from Rigan himself. However there does seem to be a discrepincy in how belts are awarded at his school between him and the Machados. Here is a link of instructors @ his academy. Instructors | East West Martial Arts Again i am just presenting some facts to this arguement. He has awarded some BB's that have not been acknowledged by the Machados. If you read the instructor bios from his own site they say an "east west BB a Machado Brown Belt" etc. So he is awarding belts to people the he see's worthy but he is not claiming they are Machado such and such belts. By his own instructor bio's it is an admission that his criteria is less stringent than the Machado Brothers.

Thought that might help clear up a few things. I have rolled at Ryans school but by no means does that mean he's my boy and i know everything there is to know about him. From what i know he is a good guy and to post the facts right on his site for all to see leads me to believe that he is not lieing or trying to mislead anyone.

Every school is defferent and to label the "Whole Eastern Michigan Machado Affiliations" "scetchy" because one school promotes belts under there school name is a bit short sited. However if you roll against all those schools and that is your belief so be it. I have come accross alot of BJJ belts that i didnt think should be wearing the belt there wearing from alot of different schools it just makes me feel better about my school/ instructor when i do well aaginst them.

Personally i would rather be the worlds best blue belt then the worlds worst purple belt. But thats just me. The way i see it, in the immortal words of Royce Gracie "A black belt only covers 2 inches of your ass, you have to cover the rest". Its about the skills not the belt.

And im out!!!!

every couple of months I see another black belt congratulations come up on the John Will academy face book page here in Australia

East West and the belts awarded by Fiorenzi are easily the worst representations of said belt I have ever rolled with. There are quite a few of them in Mid-Michigan and he straight up gives belts away. I know of two people who were jumped from white to purple, skipping blue all together.

every couple of months I see another black belt congratulations come up on the John Will academy face book page here in Australia

And..... You are implying?

Seems about right considering John got his black belt in 98, you would expect to start to see a few Aussies promoted to black belt.

plenty of people are comming through the ranks to black belt level under a machado black belt

In regards to the validity of the lineage:
247125_215129841852144_134461436585652_696574_1941173_n.jpg

Here is Rickson giving my instructor, Jean-Jacques, his 8th degree belt on Monday.

Machado belts are legit.

East West and the belts awarded by Fiorenzi are easily the worst representations of said belt I have ever rolled with. There are quite a few of them in Mid-Michigan and he straight up gives belts away. I know of two people who were jumped from white to purple, skipping blue all together.

Then i guess this thread is closed. It seems that the problem is not with the Machado brothers belt promotions. From what i gather, the problem is with an affiliate BB that in alot of people's opinions, is giving away belts.

Back