M-1 champions will be able to fight both in UFC and M-1: End of an era of exclusive contracts?

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/...forces-russia-venture-karim-zidan-mma-feature

"In early 2018, Finkelchtein met with Endeavor CEO Ari Emanuel to discuss potential business strategies. Finkelchtein suggested that M-1 Global could provide a farming mechanism for Russian champions to compete in the UFC, provided they do not become exclusively contracted to the UFC and are allowed to return to M-1 Global. According to the M-1 Global founder, Emanuel accepted his proposal and the two parties began to negotiate a deal."

This Saturday, in first UFC Russia event, only one M-1 Champion will fight: Alexey Kunchenko, WW
IMO he's the BEST M-1 Champ for now, he got a lot of defenses. He's Shlemenko's protege, trains with Koreshkov and Sarnavskiy.
He fights freaking Thiago Alves.

What do you think guys? This is true, but how huge is it?

Last edited:
Actually knew nothing about him, so that's pretty cool background. I can't imagine the UFC maintaining it's agreement concerning non-exclusivity if a guy winds up challenging for a title, but we'll see, perhaps, some day.

What do you thing guys? This is true, but how huge is it?

Not sure if I would say "huge". but certainly interesting

This newfound partnership between M-1 Global and the UFC will see the Russian promotion’s champions get opportunities to hone their craft in the UFC. The joint venture will also include a partnership with the Mubadala Investment Company and the Russia-China Investment Fund (RCIF) to establish “UFC Russia” to promote UFC events across the Russian Federation.

Maybe this is why Trump met with Putin lol.

Both are MMA fans actually.

That's pretty cool it finally happened. It will be nice to see some talent move between the organizations. Perhaps Vadim will slap the Goof the next time he sees him.

They should go Rocky 4 / Best of the Best style and host an all out UFC vs M1 event.

UFC's champs vs M1's.

USA vs Russia.

How does USADA work in this case? Are M-1 fighters exempt from USADA testing? Do they only get tested when they're fighting for the UFC?

Not sure if I would say "huge". but certainly interesting

This newfound partnership between M-1 Global and the UFC will see the Russian promotion’s champions get opportunities to hone their craft in the UFC. The joint venture will also include a partnership with the Mubadala Investment Company and the Russia-China Investment Fund (RCIF) to establish “UFC Russia” to promote UFC events across the Russian Federation.

From my understanding, "UFC Russia" is one young Russian successful enterpreneur, who made a connection between UFC and relevant Russian authorities.
Forgot his name, but he's also connected to this Mubadala.

Do they only get tested when they're fighting for the UFC?

I think this is the answer.

M-1 = Steroids.

Check out Ronny Markes interview:
https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/...re-with-pfl-after-crazy-experience-russia-mma

"
And that’s not the only reason why he won’t compete for that promotion anymore.
"I saw crazy things there, man,” Markes said. "I saw fighters using drugs a day before the fight, holding steroid ampoules… I understand now why they say Russians are so strong [laughs]."

I think this is the answer.

M-1 = Steroids.

Check out Ronny Markes interview:
https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/...re-with-pfl-after-crazy-experience-russia-mma

"
And that’s not the only reason why he won’t compete for that promotion anymore.
"I saw crazy things there, man,” Markes said. "I saw fighters using drugs a day before the fight, holding steroid ampoules… I understand now why they say Russians are so strong [laughs]."

That's fucked up. @dimspace do you have an answer?

They should go Rocky 4 / Best of the Best style and host an all out UFC vs M1 event.

UFC's champs vs M1's.

USA vs Russia.

Funny thing is:
Volkov was an M-1 HW champ when he signed with UFC. And they didn't have a new one since.
M-1 can just reinstate him as a champ, and voila! - we actually have UFC champ vs M-1 champ AFTER he beats Derrick Lewis.

Last edited:
10fxgrc.jpg

This partnership won't end well or last long. Eventually,someones gonna get pissed off at someone else due to their golden boy losing to the other promotions champ....then that champ runs with the belt and delays coming back to fight the golden boy again and so on.

This partnership won't end well or last long. Eventually,someones gonna get pissed off at someone else due to their golden boy losing to the other promotions champ....then that champ runs with the belt and delays coming back to fight the golden boy again and so on.

There are only 3 golden boys on both of the promotions: Conor, Brock and GSP.
And I don't see any M-1 champ dethroning those. Maybe Volkov-Lesnar, but I do believe they will sort this out.

Funny thing is:
Volkov was an M-1 HW champ when he signed with UFC. And they didn't have a new one since.
M-1 can just reinstate him as a champ, and voila! - we actually have UFC champ vs M-1 champ AFTER he beats Derrick Lewis.

giphy.gif

I just don't see a fighter going from M-1 to the UFC and then going back to M-1 unless they struggle in the UFC.

They can do it, if M-1 offers them to headline the big event and pay them in some shiny, foreign-fee-free rubles.
Remember, we're talking specifically about champions.

Back