Lyoto Machidas Striking

Wandy might have lost a few in a row, but come on.

Loss Chuck Liddell Decision (Unanimous) UFC 79 - Nemesis 12/29/2007 3 5:00
Loss Dan Henderson KO (Punches) PRIDE 33 - Second Coming 2/24/2007 3 2:08
Loss Mirko Filipovic KO (Head Kick) PRIDE - Final Conflict Absolute 9/10/2006 1 5:26

I dont think you can fault him for those loses.

Wandy might have lost a few in a row, but come on.

Loss Chuck Liddell Decision (Unanimous) UFC 79 - Nemesis 12/29/2007 3 5:00
Loss Dan Henderson KO (Punches) PRIDE 33 - Second Coming 2/24/2007 3 2:08
Loss Mirko Filipovic KO (Head Kick) PRIDE - Final Conflict Absolute 9/10/2006 1 5:26

I dont think you can fault him for those loses.

Can't be faulted by getting KO'd?? You've got to stop smoking that shit before you post man, seriously.

And sometime, somewhere, Rashad Evans dies a little inside.

Drew to Tito and hasn't fought quite the same level of guys Machida has.

You could make an argument for Machida vs. Evans for a title shot but IMO, probably both are more deserving than Forrest (recent losses both to Tito and Jardine) and he just happens to be next in line.

I say Evans against the loser of the next title match to put him next in line.

Wanderlei definetely should get an easier title shot because of the bizarre circumstances surrounding the situation (two wins over current champ and the fact that 2 of the losses he suffered on that 3 fight losing streak were in Pride). Rashad really can't expect much being outsized at 205 and putting on the REAL boring fights, Machida is not the guilty party there.

Anyway, what do you guys think is the best way to counter Machida's striking style? I think any tall lanky fighters who know how to use their reach or anyone who works the leg kicks on him could give him trouble.

I've always just seeing Boxing/Muay thai > Karate. Machida trains with the Nogueiras and Anderson Silva, though, so he's probably got the best combo of great muay thai and great boxing fighters to spar with out of anyone in the UFC. It's no wonder he's been the most efficient at adapting Karate for MMA. I really am starting to enjoy watching him, he does so many feints and checking guys reflexes that he's always one step ahead and making them bullrush him.

Maybe someone who can fake with him and make him have to rush in could beat him? I think if he fought Liddell, it would look similar to Jardine/Liddell just with more aesthetically pleasing standup from Machida. I think a guy like Wanderlei could eventually wear Machida down, too, at the end of the fight against Tito he looked significantly slower and wasn't moving around the cage as well (despite that flying knee).

Anyone who can make Lyoto have to come forward will kick his ass. The trick to counter-Fighters is making THEM look bad, like they're not doing anything, baiting them out of their defensive sets making them be the aggressor.

No.

At least a little momentum is required to get a title shot in any combat sport. Or to match up with the number one contender.

Jardine has recent wins over Griffin and Liddell, both top contenders. Machida is undefeated. If both had won it sets up a natural match between the two for who gets the next title shot.

Wandy, as much as you may love his sweaty nuts, is 5 and 5 in his last 10 fights and 1 of his last 4. He might not be completely washed up but he is nowhere near having earned a shot against the number one contender.

As much as you're anti-WAND he destroyed the current champ twice already and they should be matched up whether he beats Forest or not.

No.

At least a little momentum is required to get a title shot in any combat sport. Or to match up with the number one contender.

Jardine has recent wins over Griffin and Liddell, both top contenders. Machida is undefeated. If both had won it sets up a natural match between the two for who gets the next title shot.

Wandy, as much as you may love his sweaty nuts, is 5 and 5 in his last 10 fights and 1 of his last 4. He might not be completely washed up but he is nowhere near having earned a shot against the number one contender.

No that weird ass logic of wandy can't get a title shot cause he got by someone who was beaten by the current champ twice?

Guess who the current champ lost to twice in a highlight fashion?

Then the jardine wins comes into strength, cause he just beat someone that beat chuck.

Not that I think wandy deserves a title shot right now, but that comment about chuck was just weird.

And why not?

If he beats like two contenders, he'll definitely be in line for it.

As much as you're anti-WAND he destroyed the current champ twice already and they should be matched up whether he beats Forest or not.

I'm not anti-Wand at all, the guys is an exiting fighter, its just absolute idiocy to give a guy a title shot when he is 5 for his last 10 muthafucking fights and there are two guys with perfect records in line ahead of him.

Sure, if Forrest, wins then maybe it makes sense to match Wand against Rampage. Otherwise, Wand needs to beat 2-3 good fighters before he stands to get a shot at the champ.

MY GAWD, the guy has a ONE fight win streak after having lost recently to Chuck, who looks to be on the downside of his career, Hendo, who has lost to both Rampage and Silva in the UFC, and Mirko "The Can Opener" Cro Cop who has been chased off to the minor leagues.

You guys are killing me.

I'd say he only needs one more win before a title shot, if Rampage stays champ. Otherwise, another win then Rampage, IMO.

perfect fucking records mean nothing.

Silva beat a contender.

Thiago and Machida did not.

in my opinion they are all on a similar boat. None of them deserve one at the moment. Hell even page didnt deserve one in my opinion.

And it's not that far fetched... you know why?

Rampage got a title shot after he beat marvin eastman. Marvin Eastman dude.

Actually no one in the LHW division deserves one right now.

A lot of them still need to fucking fight each other.

And forrest getting a title shot?

It's questionable at best.

Sorry I have been at work so I had to catch up on the post. I agree that to beat machida you need to take him out of his game.

I do not think every fight should be a slug fest as I love a great ground game in fights, but I do believe there has to be some sort of entertainment. You can get two fighters who play it safe and a fight is boring.

Regarding forrest getting a title shot, I am for it. He has been around the top (Top 10) for a while and he comes to fight. I think Evans lost his fight against Hamill(sp). On a side note I think Bisping is protected by the UFC in order to promote the UFC in London.

Sorry I made have gotten off of the subject a little. I think Machida can fight damn good but I would like to see how he does in a war. Wandy will bring in the viewers and as a result he will be around for a while more.

Some Karate guys have really hard reverse punches (cross for you boxers)
He just needs to slide his lead foot over and square himself a little more for a k.o

I'm not anti-Wand at all, the guys is an exiting fighter, its just absolute idiocy to give a guy a title shot when he is 5 for his last 10 muthafucking fights and there are two guys with perfect records in line ahead of him.

Sure, if Forrest, wins then maybe it makes sense to match Wand against Rampage. Otherwise, Wand needs to beat 2-3 good fighters before he stands to get a shot at the champ.

MY GAWD, the guy has a ONE fight win streak after having lost recently to Chuck, who looks to be on the downside of his career, Hendo, who has lost to both Rampage and Silva in the UFC, and Mirko "The Can Opener" Cro Cop who has been chased off to the minor leagues.

You guys are killing me.

5 for 10 against who though, and what were the circumstances??
It's not ALL about the record as much as it is who they're fighting and HOW they did in the fights. Sure Wand got a L from the fight with Chuck but how many people would really consider that a loss? I mean it was a WAAR!!! Neither one of those guys lost any respect for that fight. They gave the fans what they had been wondering the for years...who would win in a slugfest between wand and chuck.
My GAWD man look at the fights a little and dont be blinded by the record. Mirko was MIRKN people when he beat Wand and def. not the same fighter you seen in the UFC..Dan lost a CLOSE descion to Rampage and dominated the first round against A. Silva which is more than anyone else can say. Losing to Hendo's not grounds for not getting a title shot either.
C'mon man.....you're killing me. It's not like a baseball card and statistic you're aloud to watch the fights and see what's really going on.

Back