Lyoto Machidas Striking

Meh, you just suck at watching fighting. Toughman is for you, all those guys do is wing bombs the whole time because they've no real clue how to fight.

Have fun.

oh i enjoy good fights. like i said, give tyson a fight or two and then match him up with penn after florian loses (sorry, huerta im counting you out, pretty boy.). it would be foty. im a lot more favorable to lightweights than i have been the higher-ups recently

...a certain amount of plodding is always good too, but i couldnt find that fight enjoyable unless i was routing for either figher (which i wasnt). you know what it was? stale - id rather watch a shitty slobberknocker like silva/chuck again... maybe its just my tiny brain that makes it impossible to enjoy the artistry of a two and 3/4 round stalemate

If that knee to the liver was boring..than this is boring ass fuckin sport.

the ending wasnt half bad. i think i dribbled a little red after watching it

Lyoto played a SMART gameplan...but this shit is boring LOL...one of the reasons peopel are losing interest in boxing is because of all the counter punchers running and shooting lil pop shots with no intentions for a KO...
KK i mean no offense hear. I like boxing too but damn it gets old watching. You get two counter fighters and what happens? SNOOOZE fest. Then you say well thats the match makers fault, NO, what if it's #1 and #2 guys..they have to fight.
Is it great technique, mastery of fighting? yeah absolutely even to the point of science and i can admire it BUT, it's also a fight sport and people want and like KO's.

^ im with ya man

JUST BLEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TANK ABBOT FOR PRESIDENT.

grr. the UFC is for REAL fighters, get that jabbing and pussy shit outta here!

lol.

more people than u think use these things, its just very few use it eff all round; most guys can apply it offensively, almost noone uses it in def manner or they don't have the skill or discipline to use it consistently throughout the full term of a fight, much less a round of fighting.

Good point.

...a certain amount of plodding is always good too, but i couldnt find that fight enjoyable unless i was routing for either figher (which i wasnt). you know what it was? stale - id rather watch a shitty slobberknocker like silva/chuck again... maybe its just my tiny brain that makes it impossible to enjoy the artistry of a two and 3/4 round stalemate

Well, at least you're stating it more like an adult now. However, I'm a bit of a snob where Fighting is concerned, I'll admit. A technique snob. I can go see bum fights all day on Youtube and call that "exciting".

Lyoto's a virtuoso with aspects of the game that most guys can't comprehend. Is it his fault he punches like a girl? Is it his fault he throws mostly when he KNOWS he's going to hit? That's kind of the whole idea you're taught when you learn how to fight. How to hit and not get hit, not how to take unnecessary damage for sake of "entertainment".

However, Lyoto's also still relatively young in his career, and he did manage to nearly finish Tito what, twice? Perhaps he'll evolve into a more definitive finisher, but I don't discount what he does now because A) it works, or B) his opponent isn't up to par.

I really like Machida's girly punches. It balances out Wanderlei's viciously wild windmill punches. Now THAT is how you gas out in a fight.

lol...the ironic thing is that he never really had a problem with the cardio.

Another thing is that I have never considered myself emotionally attached to wanderlei as a fan, but he honestly had me crazy nervous going into the fight. After he won, I was super pumped.

Machida is a real good fighter. In my opinion one of the best at 205. I think his style would frustrate anybody.

But I just dont find his style entertaining.

And Tito had a good gameplan, he pressured Machida but the problem is Tito just isnt very good.

I actually think if anybody could give Machida problems it would be a guy with great boxing ability at 205. Rampage would be a guy id love Machida to fight.

No, the person who will give Machida trouble is someone who is aggressive. I'm putting 1,000,000,000,000 dollars that the UFC matches him up with Wandy next.

Machida backs out with his chin high and someone who is willing to chase him is going to land punches. He has shown the ability make people pay for coming forward but I think that's a risk you need to take unless you have the kick boxing ability to trade with him on the outside.

Rampage would beat him too though I think. Machida just doesn't press his advantages. That's fine against a guy who can't score any points but put him there with someone who will pressure him and he may miss opportunities. Tito is a REALLY poor counter puncher and the fact Machida couldn't do more damage says either he has 0 faith in his sprawl, or he's never seen a Tito Ortiz fight.

Hey I did not read all of the post but I thought the Machida fight was the most boring of all of the fights. Machida fought a smart fight by striking and RUNNING. From an entertainment point of view it sucked. I was a Machida fan until that last fight. I do not see Machida being a world champion.

I am not a Tito fan but Tito came to fight. I would not waste my money if Machida was the main event on a card. To make it worst I thai boxed for almost 18 years and I do not care for a stand up fighter who punces then jumps back with his hands up. Sorry for anyone who I pissed off with this commment.

you have to agree the flying knee to the liver was entertaining. and it's always fun to watch tito, funny how most ppl i know said they werent sure who'll win but hope tito gets beat, and were interested in the way he toys with tito.

Not too many of us like tito since he's more boring when he wins. machida may not be the most exciting but his tactics are interesting. Tito's just double leg, gnp.

Hey I did not read all of the post but I thought the Machida fight was the most boring of all of the fights. Machida fought a smart fight by striking and RUNNING. From an entertainment point of view it sucked. I was a Machida fan until that last fight. I do not see Machida being a world champion.

I am not a Tito fan but Tito came to fight. I would not waste my money if Machida was the main event on a card. To make it worst I thai boxed for almost 18 years and I do not care for a stand up fighter who punces then jumps back with his hands up. Sorry for anyone who I pissed off with this commment.

If he fights Wandy you'll pay.

Tito came to fight, which is why he threw less than Machida. Come now.

I would love to see Machida fight Wandy. I have my money on Wandy to win. I do not think Machida can handle the constant pressure and the ability to knock you out with a single punch.

In my opinion Tito controlled the center of the cage. It is hard to engage a person who is almost always going backwards. I think tito was saved by the bell at the end of the first round and the knee was good in the third round. Hmmm was there any other highlights in the fight. From an entertainment point of view the fight was lacking. Tito appeared ready to engage which is surprising since his hands are not all that great. Machida was content with hit, then retreat the majorty of the fight.

I understand everyone has different opinons but I do not see Machida being a champion. I thought differently prior to the fight.

It is hard to engage a person who is almost always going backwards.

He was almost always going sideways, not backwards. And Tito didn't control the center, Machida gave it up. Didn't you see that any time Lyoto wanted to repel Tito it was relatively easy? If he wanted the center, he'd have taken it. He wanted to lure Tito into traps, just Tito himself became very tentative.

Don't be so certain pressure beats a guy like Lyoto. Back-foot counter Fighters are tough. The last one who thought pressure would win for him against a Master counter Fighter ended up like this:

hattonzr4.gif

the ref wouldn't let Hatton fight in the clinch in that fight, which is one of the main thing that american refs do wrong in my opinion.

Blah blah blah, Hatton got his ass whooped.

There's no holding and hitting in Boxing, and the ref backed off significantly after the 4th.

all i know is machida vs chuck liddel will be one of the most boring fights in the history of fights. They are both counterstrikers that do well when they are moving away from their opponents.

I would love to see Machida fight Wandy. I have my money on Wandy to win. I do not think Machida can handle the constant pressure and the ability to knock you out with a single punch.

In my opinion Tito controlled the center of the cage. It is hard to engage a person who is almost always going backwards. I think tito was saved by the bell at the end of the first round and the knee was good in the third round. Hmmm was there any other highlights in the fight. From an entertainment point of view the fight was lacking. Tito appeared ready to engage which is surprising since his hands are not all that great. Machida was content with hit, then retreat the majorty of the fight.

I understand everyone has different opinons but I do not see Machida being a champion. I thought differently prior to the fight.

Except that this is what every person that has ever seen Machida fight one or two fights says. He did the same shit to BJ, and Bonnar, and Franklin, and a bunch of other pretty good fighters.

Nobody can figure out why and fuck, I can't either. I was a pretty good Shotokan man that did well in point tournaments and did lousy against kickboxers using point Karate footwork. Once I adapted to using boxing/kickboxing I got pretty good at that too.

But I'll be GAWDDAMNED if I can figure out how the hell Lyoto just dances around everyone dropping in reverse punches and footsweeps.

Its artistry, pure fucking artristry I tell ya.

He was almost always going sideways, not backwards. And Tito didn't control the center, Machida gave it up. Didn't you see that any time Lyoto wanted to repel Tito it was relatively easy? If he wanted the center, he'd have taken it. He wanted to lure Tito into traps, just Tito himself became very tentative.

Exactly. Damn King Kabuki is a smart mofo.

I think tito was saved by the bell at the end of the first round and the knee was good in the third round. Hmmm was there any other highlights in the fight.

There was alot of action in the fight. thew end of the first round when Machida took him down out of nowhere and almost finished it, Tito shooting in and missing alot, Machida throwing switch kicks, etc.

I just dont see how people can watch mixed martial arts and expect every match to look like a toughman contest. I like to see a diversity of styles and style macthups so that every fight doesnt look the same.

Back