Lyoto Machidas Striking

Yeah he admited he was very surpried. Ive heard of people actualy talk about titos sub abilities, the problem is he has never had to fight off his back so who really knew about them :p

If machida didnt pop his shoulder out right before tito locked that in it was all over for machida, i thought it was a great tactial fight, very old school vs the evolving new mma.

One other thing, the way tito held himself in the post fight interview was very respectful, i didnt like the guys antics before last night but i thought he held himself as a true legend in the sport.

I'm wondering if part of the reason Machida doesn't have hand power is because his weight is off his front foot (like a karate stance).

Yet I think that is also what gives him his 'elusiveness'.

Is that the way other people see it as well?

I'm wondering if part of the reason Machida doesn't have hand power is because his weight is off his front foot (like a karate stance).

Yet I think that is also what gives him his 'elusiveness'.

Is that the way other people see it as well?

thats what i think, and others have said similar things. Gives him great latteral movement, but does take some of his hand power away, still kicks well.

Because you're obviously a moron.

the ground is his bread and butter. unfortunately he didnt make much of an attempt

so that leaves him with standup, which hasnt worked so well for the guy

i fault both of them for being snoozers. at least they stepped it up a little in the closing minute and tito will be pissing blood for a while. and the boring fight wouldnt be much of an issue if they werent consistently that way... i might knock bj/sherk too, but penn is usually game, and it was fun watching him jab sherk's face off. i dont wanna hear any "elusive" bullshit because all he did was sidestep, not ninja his way through the fight -- easy enough to counter i suppose -- but he threw how many shots now? tito wasnt pushing, machida wasnt exactly dragging it out ,but its sure fucking boring. give me a lightweight like tyson and throw him in with penn so i can enjoy myself

Meh, you just suck at watching fighting. Toughman is for you, all those guys do is wing bombs the whole time because they've no real clue how to fight.

Have fun.

the ground is his bread and butter. unfortunately he didnt make much of an attempt

i fault both of them for being snoozers. at least they stepped it up a little in the closing minute and tito will be pissing blood for a while. and the boring fight wouldnt be much of an issue if they werent consistently that way... i might knock bj/sherk too, but penn is usually game, and it was fun watching him jab sherk's face off. i dont wanna hear any "elusive" bullshit because all he did was sidestep, not ninja his way through the fight -- easy enough to counter i suppose -- but he threw how many shots now? tito wasnt pushing, machida wasnt exactly dragging it out ,but its sure fucking boring. give me a lightweight like tyson and throw him in with penn so i can enjoy myself

If that knee to the liver was boring..than this is boring ass fuckin sport.

Meh, you just suck at watching fighting. Toughman is for you, all those guys do is wing bombs the whole time because they've no real clue how to fight.

Have fun.

Damn, hard to be more direct than that. :icon_chee

Its poetry, not rock and roll. Some people don't appreciate poetry. That doesn't mean it sucks.

Machida is a real good fighter. In my opinion one of the best at 205. I think his style would frustrate anybody.

But I just dont find his style entertaining.

And Tito had a good gameplan, he pressured Machida but the problem is Tito just isnt very good.

I actually think if anybody could give Machida problems it would be a guy with great boxing ability at 205. Rampage would be a guy id love Machida to fight.

every karate school is loving machida, the only undefeated guy in the mma facing top shelf competition is a karate guy; more importanly he is using traditional karate tech and not even being touched, taken down or tied up by wrestlers, judoka or mma strikers...

i have always respected tma and their practitioners; an all my friends who train tma, but spar w/other styles are smiling their asses off.

Expect machida does muay thai and wrestling and all that good stuff.

I'm sure his success has nothing to with that and the fact that he's been fighting since he was a little kid so he has great fighting experience and instincts.

he regularly cites his tma background as the foundation for these other arts, an repeatedly uses karate tech footwork, strikes and def strategies to be effective.

even the holes in his game come from karate, his punching lacks power cus of the stance and chambering of his shots; an his chin is up in the air when he strikes, comes in and goes out of range.

not saying he doesn't train those other arts, im sure he does; but its all rooted in his tma training.

look at the kicks, hell look at the strike/sweep combos he used to put nakamura, bj down.

alot of my friends who do tma train w/wrestling judoka bjj boxers muay thai guys; an they tailor their tech to be effective.

basically they learn how to adjust the stance, dist, positioning and angles they use to get off on their opp. I made many threads on friends of mine who have done the same thing.

all that good stuff isn't just in TMA.

It's the fact that he is tremendously refined and polished in what he does.

I would compare him with PBF, but PBF actually puts the smackdown on his opponents half the time.

all that good stuff isn't just in TMA.

It's the fact that he is tremendously refined and polished in what he does.

i know but lyoto says it is- i have to go w/his words; not saying u don't know what your talking about u make good posts and make intelligent points, but if the man himself says it...then i have to go w/that.

I'm very curious about the footwork from both fighters and would like to learn what was exceptional about Machida's footwork. All throughout the fight I was watching Tito's footwork and noticed that it was very similar to what I've been taught. He was planted with his rear foot up (still very solid) and he was steping and sliding quite a bit. Can someone explain the advantage/disadvantages of Machida's footwork vs. Titos.

Also, as a new sherdog member, it is interesting to see the difference in posts from the training section and the others. Much different conversations.

Thanks to whoever can help.

It's not what he did in terms of footwork. It's what he really didn't do offensively like working the jab and attacking.

Plus he was just slower than machida.

I would compare him with PBF, but PBF actually puts the smackdown on his opponents half the time.

i dont know. People have left the ring after fighting Machida and they look like some pretty badly beaten dogs.

yeah, machida is more of a damage over time fighter, slowly picking away at your facial tissue as well as your pride as a fighter.

I like it.

yeah, machida is more of a damage over time fighter, slowly picking away at your facial tissue as well as your pride as a fighter.

I like it.

me too. Its stylish the way he beats his opponents. Its like watching the lumbering mutt trying to catch the all too clever cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back