Lyoto Machida turns 36 today

He spars hard though. More so than a lot of guys. No headgear. Lots of contact. Anderson was also into that style of sparring.
hmm, didn't know that. It's not exactly unthinkable though. Taking some shotz in sparring makes getting hit in a fight less of a big deal, really. Miletich's camp had the same mentality back in the day although you had guys getting dropped and KOed in sparring there pretty regularly which isn't a good thing.

Kampmann said he's seen some people get knocked clean out in sparring at Xtreme Couture as well. :/

hmm, didn't know that. It's not exactly unthinkable though. Taking some shotz in sparring makes getting hit in a fight less of a big deal, really. Miletich's camp had the same mentality back in the day although you had guys getting dropped and KOed in sparring there pretty regularly which isn't a good thing.

Kampmann said he's seen some people get knocked clean out in sparring at Xtreme Couture as well. :/

Forrest was allegedly knocked out in sparring leading up to the Anderson fight

I still find it hard to believe that Anderson is older than Big Nog sometimes.

Forrest was allegedly knocked out in sparring leading up to the Anderson fight
Ugh. I hate reading shit like that man.

Marvin Eastman apparently got knocked out twice while training for his fight with Lutter, and then he gets all fucked up by this weirdo grazing punch from Lutter... makes you wonder.

Never thought Machida and Munoz were that old

For whatever reason I looked up Nobutatsu Suzuki (11-1), Askren's likely next opponent. I thought he'd be 23-24, he is 36.

Asians, I guess. I've used the student (H.S.) excuse to get the student discount at the movies all the way up until the age of 27-28. Granted, I could've kept doing it till even 30 or so but I decided enough's enough. They don't check I.D. but you do have to resemble a H.S. looking student to pass or maybe they just they just thought 'whatever, i don't care' .

I know, I'm terrible.:redface:

I still find it hard to believe that Anderson is older than Big Nog sometimes.

same same.... its all genetics, how much damage theyve taken over the years etc etc.

I cant believe Josh Koscheck is 36-37 now.

The point of a forum is to discuss shit. If you have nothing to contribute don't post.

14839_original.jpg

Personally i find it strange that so many fighters have success into there mid to late 30's in mma. It's not like that in many sports.

So how in the heck has GSP peaked at 32? He didn't take exorbitant damages to the dome/body/joints. Can't make excuses for him, 'cause I think it's mental.

Machida is aging in reverse. He looks younger every time I see him. Thick, Solid, Tight.

Ok, ok... is there a subliminal thought you are trying to relay to us here. Every post about Machida ends with the above highlighted. And I just chuckled and smirked, again.

What's the deal here?

So how in the heck has GSP peaked at 32? He didn't take exorbitant damages to the dome/body/joints. Can't make excuses for him, 'cause I think it's mental.
He had a 19 month lay-off because of an ACL tear (career-ending injury for some athletes).

You also can't discount the toll that GSP's training schedule took on his body. It was rigorous as fuck because he knew that was the only way to keep his skills at an elite level.

He had also been fighting as an amateur or pro for 10 years by age 29.

Age doesn't matter for some people. IMO, Machida is getting better every year. I think Machida retires at 40.

Machida practices a healthy lifestyle. He will age better than guys like Chuck, Tito, Ken, etc.

Back