Lyoto Machida Mans Up: Now Says He'd Fight Anderson Silva

Machida vs Anderson would likely be a staring contest with like 8 strikes thrown per round.

8 masterfully performed strikes that when hit would cause a trigger in the richter scale. Too much awesomeness in one fight the world couldn`t handle

Keep telling yourself that.

Silva fought in the weaker division and was always the less balanced of the two fighters. Silva eventually developed good TDD but still has always had trouble getting up off of his back, which is part of the reason he had so much trouble with Weidman, Sonnen, etc.

Not saying Machida is necessarily the better fighter over their careers but I do think he would have beaten all of Silva's competition during that run if he had gone to 185; some of which he would fair a bit worse at and some better based on the matchup. Don't think any of them would have given him major trouble.

Silva has always been the better athlete with more powerful offensive moves at close range, but Machida has expanded his striking game over time and I personally think he is the better all-around fighter right now. A matchup against each other would be tough but Anderson by no means would have had a decided advantage at any time in his career. Machida has always been a high quality striker, he wouldn't be running in to Anderson's strikes using predictable alternating hooks(part of the reason Anderson's chin rolling worked) like so many that faced hm.

I never said you were.

There are a lot of delusional Machida fans.

Of the two fighters, Anderson and Machida, which one actually had an era?

The one who didn't fight the bigger, more dangerous fighters.

Silva fought in the weaker division and was always the less balanced of the two fighters. Silva eventually developed good TDD but still has always had trouble getting up off of his back, which is part of the reason he had so much trouble with Weidman, Sonnen, etc.

Not saying Machida is necessarily the better fighter over their careers but I do think he would have beaten all of Silva's competition during that run if he had gone to 185; some of which he would fair a bit worse at and some better based on the matchup. Don't think any of them would have given him major trouble.

Silva has always been the better athlete with more powerful offensive moves at close range, but Machida has expanded his striking game over time and I personally think he is the better all-around fighter right now.

I believe Silva could have had the same success and even better at LHW aswell. and lots of people at one point thought he could have easily been a 2 division champion, especially when he dismantled Griffin.

Machida knows if he fights Anderson his next fight is another title shot. He also knows Anderson might get a title shot next and become the champ.

Hes been more open to fighting Silva than Silvas been open to fighting Lyoto

Is funny that Machida wouldnt fight him a fee years bck tho id still like to see it i doubt Anderson wpuld do it
Not true, Machida has always said he would fight Silva. Machida will fight anyone, he wanted to fight Lesnar at HW when he first won the LHW belt and he has also fought his own brother.

Not true, Machida has always said he would fight Silva. Machida will fight anyone, he wanted to fight Lesnar at HW when he first won the LHW belt and he has also fought his own brother.

Machida is on record saying he would not fight Anderson and they are like brother, I posted the link on the first page.

dont lie.

The one who fought at the much easier weight class with little elite competition.

Of all the great things in Anderson's career that is my one big disappointment. The fact that at MW he fought no other true elite competitors. Hendo has an elite career but he was not an elite MW as Jake Shields re-enforced for us.

I wish Anderson had went up and taken so many of the elite LHW matchups that were available to him rather than cherry picking the easier matchups. It makes me sad as elite V elite is really the only way to tell how truly great a fighter is. Clowning lower end comp does not do it.

I believe Silva could have had the same success and even better at LHW aswell. and lots of people at one point thought he could have easily been a 2 division champion, especially when he dismantled Griffin.

Griffin was a pretty mediocrely skilled fighter who got to the championship more or less off of a comeback win on Rua. The guy got knocked out by Jardine and Horn. Both solid fighters in their primes, but by no means good strikers. Not saying it isn't a good win, but I don't think Machida would have had any problem beating him decisively.

I personally think Silva wouldn't be able to handle the bigger more athletic wrestlers at LHW(Not saying he wouldn't do well in the division, but I do think he would struggle more than Machida to not lose rounds to ground control). If Sonnen was able to control Silva for so long on the ground, Rashad would have been a MUCH worse matchup for Silva. I think he would have had a higher chance at losing than winning. He of course would have had a much easier time with Shogun than Machida, but Shogun at his best is still a better striker than anyone Anderson beat during his run other than maybe Belfort.

Last edited:
so what was that whole thing about him getting beat up at lhw just to let Anderson have the MW belt? wonder if he regrets screwing his career up for Silva.

everyone wants to fight Anderson now that he's 40 and coming off a major injury and out of his prime.

im a fan of both, but Lyoto has said in the past that he wouldnt fight Anderson and they are like brothers, but now his tune has changed:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-fight-anderson-silva-silva-wants-superfights

It could be due to a change in their relationship. It seems like silva has gone hollywood over the past few years.

And I don't care when the fight took place, this year, or 5 years ago, machida would always kick anderson's ass.

we can just watch their sparring session for free

According to Sherdog, everyone at LHW not named Jones, Gus, Teixeira, DC, and Davis are MWs.

Try again.

I don't know what the point of that comment was -- I'm not being snarky, I'm serious yo.

Anyway, Rashad, Davis, Rampage, Shogun, Jones, and even Thiago Silva are all more dangerous than the majority of the opponents Anderson has faced. Mousasi as well, although Dan Henderson might have something to say about that. Hell, even Bader, Couture, Ortiz, and Greco (at least at the time he fought him) would give Anderson problems.

You give Lyoto all of Anderson's opponents and he beats and/or smashes them all, minus Weidman, and Lyoto fared exponentially better against him than Anderson, and that is not remotely debatable.

Pretty simple.

Two counterstrikers, one who likes to run and fuck around and one who likes to stay outside kicking range until he finds an opening? Maybe offer a discount on those tickets. :p

I like Machida for his overall attitude, but it's a struggle watching his fights and hoping something cool happens before the time runs out.

I don't know what the point of that comment was -- I'm not being snarky, I'm serious yo.

Anyway, Rashad, Davis, Rampage, Shogun, Jones, and even Thiago Silva are all more dangerous than the majority of the opponents Anderson has faced. Mousasi as well, although Dan Henderson might have something to say about that. Hell, even Bader, Couture, Ortiz, and Greco (at least at the time he fought him) would give Anderson problems.

You give Lyoto all of Anderson's opponents and he beats and/or smashes them all, minus Weidman, and Lyoto fared exponentially better against him than Anderson, and that is not remotely debatable.

Pretty simple.

What? You honestly think machida could beat guys like thales leites and demian maia?

Back