Lyota Machida underrated? Greatest Brazilian fighter ever?

ferrisjso

"Melodramatic" Historian
@Gold
Reaction score
Machida rarely gets brought up in the UFC greatest fighters conversation. Machida's record in the UFC is 17-8. Clearly he ain't the GOAT but what is Machida really missing except a long title reign or a second belt? His fighting style was conservative but he had his fair share of exciting KO's and people don't necessarily have a problem with that stuff because of GSP.

He always used spar with AS and I remember someone saying that Machida looked like the better fighter. Well what really seperates the two except that Machida fought in the tougher division and AS got to be champ for a long period of time. AS is 18-4 as of now and AS also had far greater natural advantages, like a Jon Jones except no one really talks about how 6 foot 6 and a 77 inch reach is incredible for MW.

Guy's 40 and is on a quiet three fight win streak. But yeah never gets brought up and his record shines compared to Shad, Shogun's and Rampage's. Machida was also in quite a few close decisions, the one over Rua and the losses to Rampage and Davis. I actually agree with all three but know all of them were really controversial at the time.

Got thinking of this because when he finished Bader at the time that win was kind of like "who cares it's Bader, Bader lost to Tito lolz" but now it's like Machida still might be a contender at 205 this guy was great fighting in an incredible division.

For every DC refusing to fight in his champ friends division that gets a lucky ending, there's a Machida who is stuck in the harder division without getting the belt.

Machida rarely gets brought up in the UFC greatest fighters conversation. Machida's record in the UFC is 17-8. Clearly he ain't the GOAT but what is Machida really missing except a long title reign or a second belt? His fighting style was conservative but he had his fair share of exciting KO's and people don't necessarily have a problem with that stuff because of GSP.

He always used spar with AS and I remember someone saying that Machida looked like the better fighter. Well what really seperates the two except that Machida fought in the tougher division and AS got to be champ for a long period of time. AS is 18-4 as of now and AS also had far greater natural advantages, like a Jon Jones except no one really talks about how 6 foot 6 and a 77 inch reach is incredible for MW.

Guy's 40 and is on a quiet three fight win streak. But yeah never gets brought up and his record shines compared to Shad, Shogun's and Rampage's. Machida was also in quite a few close decisions, the one over Rua and the losses to Rampage and Davis. I actually agree with all three but know all of them were really controversial at the time.

Got thinking of this because when he finished Bader at the time that win was kind of like "who cares it's Bader, Bader lost to Tito lolz" but now it's like Machida still might be a contender at 205 this guy was great fighting in an incredible division.

For every DC refusing to fight in his champ friends division that gets a lucky ending, there's a Machida who is stuck in the harder division without getting the belt.

Brazilian GOATs are Anderson, Big Nog, Aldo and Wanderlei.
Machida maybe top 20.

Someone who said that Machida was a better fighter versus AS was actually AS, dig it up it is true, AS also said he will never fight Machida (for that reason)

Brazilian GOATs are Anderson, Big Nog, Aldo and Wanderlei.
Machida maybe top 20.

Anderson is basically Machida's Cain. 18-4 in a really weak division. No doubt Machida beats him if they aren't friends and willing to fight at same division IMO. Machida did do better against Weidman and they fought around the same time.

Big Nog 5-6 in the UFC one of those guys from Pride who couldn't transition.

Wandy 4-5 in the UFC same as Big Nog Pride star who couldn't transition.

Aldo okay got it. He seems to be the founding star of the weight class though. I know he's better than Conor not holding that lucky BS against him but it was a less competitive division for a while at least while Machida was at 205.

I don't think you can name 20 Brazilians who are better than Machida. I think 5 would be really stretching it. Only other one's I'm thinking of who are close are Shogun(if you think Shogun's better off first fight okay that's on you I don't) and Vitor neither of whom have as many wins and have a bunch more losses. At HW what there's JDS?

But yeah I always used to have Machida in my top 5 GOAT in the past because people had AS super high and I'm like I think Machida's better and at the time Machida was the figher who'd been the best against Jones. Even Smith brought up the now ridiculous notion that many had had about Machida's one combination being impressive that was a huge thing back in the day.

Someone who said that Machida was a better fighter versus AS was actually AS, dig it up it is true, AS also said he will never fight Machida (for that reason)

Well now I know. Thanks!

Just seemed like a parallel to the Cain and DC situation. Besides the usual GOAT suspects Machida's record is very good. Most champs aren't going to retire with that sort of record.

He is definitely one of the best LHW/MWs ever and one of the best Brazilians ever but he is not ahead of Nog, Anderson, Werdum, Aldo, Wanderlei and Shogun. Probably tied with JDS for the 7th best Brazilian of all time

Machida isnt greater than Big Nog and he isnt greater than Shogun. I wouldn't put him ahead of Werdum and Aldo either. Its arguable he has better wins than Anderson though.

FOH WITH THAT SON.

Anderson is basically Machida's Cain. 18-4 in a really weak division. No doubt Machida beats him if they aren't friends and willing to fight at same division IMO. Machida did do better against Weidman and they fought around the same time.

Big Nog 5-6 in the UFC one of those guys from Pride who couldn't transition.

Wandy 4-5 in the UFC same as Big Nog Pride star who couldn't transition.

Aldo okay got it. He seems to be the founding star of the weight class though. I know he's better than Conor not holding that lucky BS against him but it was a less competitive division for a while at least while Machida was at 205.

I don't think you can name 20 Brazilians who are better than Machida. I think 5 would be really stretching it. Only other one's I'm thinking of who are close are Shogun(if you think Shogun's better off first fight okay that's on you I don't) and Vitor neither of whom have as many wins and have a bunch more losses. At HW what there's JDS?

But yeah I always used to have Machida in my top 5 GOAT in the past because people had AS super high and I'm like I think Machida's better and at the time Machida was the figher who'd been the best against Jones. Even Smith brought up the now ridiculous notion that many had had about Machida's one combination being impressive that was a huge thing back in the day.

1. Records mean absolutely NOTHING in MMA.
2. Cain's HW division was strong.
3. Weidman beat Anderson once by Anderson's weird clowning, and once by freak accident
4. "Couldn't transition" (do you Engrish?) is just your baseless suggestion. He stayed on top fir quite some time afterwards.
5. You do a lot of revisionism in your attempt to change facts. You should've witnessed MMA history live, clearly you didn't.

We saw the Machida era,so no he is not underrated,and he is f..king far from being the best Brasilian fighter ever

He’s up there. I still say if he would’ve stuck to his older more conservative style he would’ve had a better record. Of course he wouldn’t have been as much fun to watch either.

Aldo
Anderson
Wand
Big nog
Wedum
Machida

Wands run in pride was more impressive than machidas run in the ufc

1. Records mean absolutely NOTHING in MMA.
2. Cain's HW division was strong.
3. Weidman beat Anderson once by Anderson's weird clowning, and once by freak accident
4. "Couldn't transition" (do you Engrish?) is just your baseless suggestion. He stayed on top fir quite some time afterwards.
5. You do a lot of revisionism in your attempt to change facts. You should've witnessed MMA history live, clearly you didn't.

1-I don't think they mean nothing, wins are how you get title shots and title defenses and everything. Finishes matter more though.
2-Relative to LHW. For HW yeah it was the toughest the division ever was.
3-I'm skeptical of questioning when a fighter beats another twice unless the argument is really compelling.
4-I mean the record shows otherwise especially for Wandy. Big Nog stayed in the picture for a little bit and got the interim belt over Sylvia but he was never on "top" and never the best HW in the UFC.
5-I'm not the one saying records mean nothing man. I admit I didn't witness stuff live till 2008 the rest though I did.

Machida is so underrated. Nice, humble guy as well it's a shame he gets a bit slept on.

We saw the Machida era,so no he is not underrated,and he is f..king far from being the best Brasilian fighter ever
When he was on he was unbeatable, that Machida may well have been the best ever Brazilian. When he took his first L, it was game over, kind of like AS....and Aldo.

He’s up there. I still say if he would’ve stuck to his older more conservative style he would’ve had a better record. Of course he wouldn’t have been as much fun to watch either.

Feel like he would have won the Shogun rematch if he wasn't pressured to be so unusually aggressive. People were brutal towards him after that first one, UFC even gave Shogun a win bonus for losing basically sending the message that "we think you're not the champ". Machida probably felt if he didn't get the finish and won on the cards again people would keep calling him a fake champ.

Very underrated guy. Great technique and unique style at that enabled great success. In his prime was a very tough puzzle to solve for most fighters.

Did though cheat and substance use

Back